Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Homemade front grill cover ideas? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/homemade-front-grill-cover-ideas-281132/)

Shake-N-Bake 11-24-2010 04:15 PM

Homemade front grill cover ideas?

Just wanting to see other ideas about homemade grill covers without spending $150. Nothin fancy just practical. Pics anybody? I've got a 1st and 2nd gen. Thx .............Mike[guitar]

olddodgetrucks 11-24-2010 04:45 PM

beer cases,cost free

Shake-N-Bake 11-24-2010 05:22 PM

I appreciate that. Plenty of beer cases in this house. [duhhh][dummy]

old 300 11-27-2010 07:46 PM

I saw a picture on here a few years ago that someone cut out plexiglass ( spelling ) and put it in the grill. At a quick look you couldn't see the glass just the grill. I was going to cut some for my truck but didn't get to it yet. I guess if you search you may find it, was very cool.

SIXSLUG 11-28-2010 02:22 PM

I dropped a piece of heavy waxed cardboard in between the rad and intercooler. It fits well and doesn't show. I cut a hole in the middle as sug't to give my fan clutch some flow and it seems to be enough of a blocker to let my truck heat up a little quicker and stay warm. Just a thought.

Shake-N-Bake 11-30-2010 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I did my 2nd gen 1st cause it just doesn't like to get warm like the 1st gen. Following? Anyway, tar paper for a template transfered to some vinyl siding from the house (old lady is ******)[nonono][dummy], a rattle can and some loose bolts finished it. $12 bucks and a little time, thanx guys. Love this site.[coffee]

Doj Dewd 11-30-2010 11:35 PM

i always try to scavenge some yard signs around election time. i used one to drop in front of the rad with a large hole for the fan clutch, and i used other pieces for the 4 grill openings.

i already had cloud-rider grill inserts, so i just used them as a template to make the inserts. i just unscrew the nuts from the inserts and slide the winter ones i made in behind and then thread the nut back on.

i also remove the fan once winter has set in for good, and then re-install in the spring

TurboDeezul 12-01-2010 06:57 AM

I put in a solid piece of sheetmetal with no hole in front of the whole assembly. Rad, intercooler, etc..

Then I install the 'Winter' air filter, (the stock air box with a stock filter) back in.

Some Tape over the 'Scotty Hole' and the fender inlet and it's all set for winter.

TurboDeezul 12-01-2010 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Doj Dewd (Post 2883816)
i always try to scavenge some yard signs around election time. i used one to drop in front of the rad with a large hole for the fan clutch, and i used other pieces for the 4 grill openings.

i already had cloud-rider grill inserts, so i just used them as a template to make the inserts. i just unscrew the nuts from the inserts and slide the winter ones i made in behind and then thread the nut back on.

i also remove the fan once winter has set in for good, and then re-install in the spring

I gotta make one of those long fan 'wrenches'.