2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

high speed rumble

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high speed rumble

Hello folks, I have been thinking about putting in a luclink or a Dss kit ( sorry if i'm calling these the wrong names) cause may steering seems loose for a newer truck. But also at highway speeds my wheels feel like there going to fall off. I have re-balanced my tires and rotated my tires and had the aliignment done. and I get a wash board feeling on the highway will one of these kits help?

thanks Wooff
Old 06-21-2004, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wooff

You don't mention your mileage but I can tell you my 02 benefited from the DSS and the DTB Kit at 40,000 miles/70,000 km.

Both solve weak designs from Dodge. Just realized your signature does not say 4x4 so only need Darin's Steering Stabilizer. Helped my truck reduce wander and greatly improved straight line tracking. With you BIG tires, probably would notice big difference at 20,000 miles. Not sure about wheels falling off but will give you much more positive steering.
http://www.solidsteel.ca/
Good luck!

RJ
Old 06-21-2004, 04:37 PM

Woof, Does the front end start going goofy after you hit a bump and quit when you get it slowed down some? Sounds to me like it is the "death wobble". I think you would be money ahead to go and replace the parts you said. The new track bar should help and from what I understand you would benifit from the DSS too.
Tom
Old 06-21-2004, 05:37 PM

My milege is 80000kms, and yes it's a 4x4. and what is a dtb?
the problem is worse at high speeds and yes i would say over bumps too like railway tracks. and i never feel it at low speeds. is it best to use a lukeslink and a Dss together? or is it one or the other?
Thanks again
Old 06-21-2004, 06:38 PM

Put a new set of shocks on it.

Bilsteins are suppose to be the best out there just stay away from the monroes as they truly suck.

Jason
Old 06-22-2004, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wooff

DTB is Darrins Track Bar Kit...see "News" section of web page listed above. Don't know about it working with your lift - may need DT Trackbar... http://www.dtprofab.com/dodge.htm
Have heard some good, some not so good about Luks Links. Have heard only rave reviews about the DT Trackbar...but it is not cheap (neither is the DTB).

It's not an either/or situation. DSS anchors steering box to frame, giving much needed support to a poor design that is known to get sloppy and create wandering.
The track bar keeps the front axle aligned to the frame, and thus the road, as the suspension compresses and extends. The 02 factory track bar is also not a long lasting design, using a ball joint that wears and allows play. Dodge recognized this less than excellent design and changed it in 03.
You really need to address both issues. IMO, steering is not something to be left unattended.

For interesting comments on this subject,
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=44107

Good Luck, RJ
Old 06-22-2004, 11:24 AM

wheel bearing

wheel bearing maybe but rather low mileage for that problem.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:16 PM

jack the front end up and take your hands and try and mover the wheelin and out left and right and see if there is play in one of the wheel bearings,while it is on the ground have someone move the sterring wheel back and forth a lil bit and watch all the joints for play, if the track bar is bad youll know it,another way to check the joints is with a chanel locksopen them up and squeeze the joint togeather if it has alot of play its bad,the ball joint play is 80 thousands which is a ton,that is when the factory books say they are bad, i say they are bad way before that, hope this helps you a lil bit so you can watch your front end time to time