2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Headlight aiming

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 05:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Headlight aiming

Years ago I got in a front end accident and when the body shop did the repairs, they didn't make sure the headlights were aimed properly. I didn't discover this for quite awhile because we really only used the truck during the day for horse related activities. The body shop that did the work was very far from us, so when I did discover the problem, it was too far out and too far away to go back to them, so we just didn't drive it at night.

Years later, the lenses oxidized and I tried polishing them, forgetting that it was the aiming that was the problem. Didn't work. Recently I bought new headlights from Geno's garage, installed them, thought I'd be good to go, and found myself having to drive in the dark, terrifying to discover the lights were not aimed on the ground in front of the truck!

So, I noticed there were adjustment screws on the old and new headlight installs. I looked on youtube for a how-to video and couldn't find one that dealt with all the possible aiming scenarios, just inward/outward.

Does anyone know of a good resource to help me on this? I bought the right tool to work with those screws.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2019, 10:42 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
There are three adjustment screws but only two are accessible. The top middle one is almost impossible to reach and needs to be more preset before installing. Stupid design...
That said, I'd say that if the body shop replaced your headlights then they likely used aftermarket ones which will prove to be almost impossible to align. What lights do you have? Sport or non-Sport?