2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Hail Damage

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the process may be an old wives tale, but I know that it works on an aluminum trailer. In fact, on an Airstream many of the hail dents will gradually fix themselves as long as they are dents and not creases.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:03 AM

A good glass shop can remove the windshield without damaging it.PDR is a good idea if the dents arent to big & to many.Usually your insurance company will send out a damage appraiser & they will estimate the damage accordingly.At least its a comprehensive claim & that shouldnt raise your premiums.Ive never seen the dry ice thing do any good on sheet metal.Good luck.

Kurt
Old 06-16-2004, 05:59 PM

you can buy dry ice at any grocery store. Now I have ordered the Dent King. I will let you guys know how it works.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Partsman
Before you do anything an old bodyman told me he got lots of hail damage out using dry ice. It might be worth a try, should be cheap.
I would also recommend this. I've been told it works really well.

Justin
Old 06-20-2004, 09:49 AM

Past trade in truck got stuck in a hail storm in Sturgis, SD. Storm was bad enough to break a few side mirrors on other vechicles, truck looked like it was in a fight witn a car wash with golf *****.
I was really bummed out so far from home.
Truck was really damaged, and was going to to the shop when the trip was over. Tempatures in the afternoon sun was in the 90's but dropped drastically in the evening to low 50's with a very heavy dew in the morning.. Wake up next day go on a morning hike in the mountains eat breakfast and go get some supplies from the truck, actually can see dew evaporating from hood in a smoky haze. Finish breakfast and go to the truck for a in town run & low and behould severe dents are now small dents with roof area only showing two dents from previous day of more than 20, D*** good body repair last night, I wonder who was that masked man.
Went to the extreme to mark remaining dents with a marker so I was sure that is was not my imagination. Completed trip with a final count of 6 dings in the hood that did not come out, side panels smooth, roof area smooth only the hood left. Summer heat @ 103 and tried the DRY ICE TRICK, Sorry fella but this is not a wive's tale, all dents removed except 1 on the crease of the hood. luck maybe but I really doubt it. Maybe just a blessing in disguise. Sorry to hear of your misfortune & I am sure that if you give it a little time and a good rinse with a cool hose a couple of times you might be suprised and get some dimple relief for free. What do you have to lose except a dent...
Good Luck
P.S. the cool hose trick was achieved by running a length of hose coiled in a 50 quart cooler and ice.. nice cool water on a hot day..
P.S.S. Dry Ice from Baskin & Robbis 31 Flavors
Old 07-02-2004, 10:07 PM
DRM

I bought my truck with hail damage - One paintless dent repair guy estimated 350+ dents in the hood alone.

I have been driving it this way for 6 months now, doesn't really bother me.

I bought the truck for it's performance, who cares how it looks. Luckily - the sport red paint hides the dents pretty well until you get close up.

I did have someone give me another hail damaged hood - already sport red - that only has 20 dents or so... Some day I will swap them out, after all - 20 dents is better than 350

Who cares about the roof - not like anyone can see it anyway
Old 07-02-2004, 10:17 PM

Location: St. Louis, Mo Home of Busch& Budwiser Beer and Kurt Warner---opps I mean the RAMS
Originally posted by DRM
I bought my truck with hail damage - One paintless dent repair guy estimated 350+ dents in the hood alone.

I have been driving it this way for 6 months now, doesn't really bother me.

I bought the truck for it's performance, who cares how it looks. Luckily - the sport red paint hides the dents pretty well until you get close up.

I did have someone give me another hail damaged hood - already sport red - that only has 20 dents or so... Some day I will swap them out, after all - 20 dents is better than 350

Who cares about the roof - not like anyone can see it anyway
I know there are 350 or more in my hood, the drivers door, and bed side are worse though. I do care about how it looks kind of, because mine runs soo good and I want it to look good too. It is dark metallic green with light grey driftwood at bottom, and looked sharp. I still have 2 1/2 yrs to make payments on it. That being said I might just turn it into my company truck and leave it like it is, but can not make up my mind as to what to do.....
Old 07-28-2004, 08:38 PM

DRY ICE DID NOT WORK

I WAITED FOR A VERY HOT DAY HERE IN DENVER AND FIANLLY GOT A 97 DEGREE DAY AND PARKED THE TRUCK AS CLOSE TO A HOT BRICK BUILDING AND LET THE HOOD GET TO 124DEGREES. I THEN PUT TEN POUNDS OF DRY ICE ON THE HOOD FOR TWENTY MINUTES. AFTER SWEATING MY *** OFF I REMOVED WHAT WAS LEFT OF THE ICE AND COULD NOT NOTICE ONE SINGLE DIFFERENCE. SO DON'T BOTH WASTING YOUR TIME IF THE DENTS ARE AS BIG AS GOLF BALL SIZE HAIL WILL LEAVE ON A HOOD. THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE AND HELP BUT THIS WILL BE DONE BY THE PROS.