2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

GM wheel cylinders put in today........day and night!!!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 05:15 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Cowhand
Has anyone figured out how to get the self adjusters to work?

?? Are the Self Adjusters not working because of the cylinder change or did they not work before?

Mine are working but I still adjust them manually, when I back-up I guess I don't apply the service brakes hard enough to actuate them.

Do the 30mm cylinders affect the RWAL’s operation?
Thanks.
Jim
Old 04-16-2008, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ctd_only
does this make any difference on when the truck is pulling to my left side when braking?
i put new hoses in the front already cleaned the things from the inside where the brake pads go on and it still does it.
any help would be apreciated. thanks.

You've probably got some other problem if its pulling. Take the rear drums off, clean and adjust the rear shoes and see if that helps. Maybe you've got a wheel cylinder or axle seal leaking back there.

John
Old 04-16-2008, 06:44 PM

ok ill try it. how much should i adjust it, im not too familiar with it. thanks again.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ctd_only
ok ill try it. how much should i adjust it, im not too familiar with it. thanks again.
The way I manually adjust the rears is to jack both rear tires off the ground support well. Remove the rubber plug from the access hole to the adjuster and turn the star wheel upward with a screwdriver while rotating the tire. As soon as you hear/feel faint rubbing stop, you're done with that side, move to the other. The rubbing will stop the first time you apply the the brakes.

I consider myself very mechanically able and have never been able to figure out why some Dodge self adjusters don't work even after cleaning, lubing and close inspection.
The correct way to self adjust the shoes is to go in reverse, preferably on a paved surface and apply the brakes till you come to a complete stop. Speed or the amount of pressure on the brakes make no difference, most important thing is a complete stop. Some folks like to self adjust using the emergency brake as then the front brakes don't come into play.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I just looked at the partsamerica site where they list other vehicles the wheel cylinders fit

2008 PROCHE BOXTER
Old 04-22-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by VADSLRAM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I just looked at the partsamerica site where they list other vehicles the wheel cylinders fit

2008 PROCHE BOXTER

I can't imagine a Boxer has rear drum brakes! I hope disc.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
How in the world do you get the back drums off... it seems to me this is the most difficult part of installing the larger wheel cycl?
Old 04-22-2008, 04:02 PM

Easiest method is to push the the clip in that keeps the starwheel from spinning backwards and then just loosen the starwheel with a screw driver. Get em loose enough and the drums usually come right off with a good whack or two.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by high bid
How in the world do you get the back drums off... it seems to me this is the most difficult part of installing the larger wheel cycl?
Problem is they are rusted on.
Easiest way is to jack both rears off the ground, support well, remove both wheels and replace one lug nut losely. Start it up put it a forward gear with a little throttle then slam on the brakes. Do it in reverse if necessary. You will hear it very well when the drum breaks lose.
Usually no need to back off the star wheel unless your brakes are adjusted too tight or the drums are severely worn.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok, going to try it this weekend. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
When I upgraded the wheel cylinders in mu old '92 W250 I also upgraded the shoes from the 2.5" wide ones to the 3" wide ones. For those with 3/4 ton trucks you may want to check how wide the ones you have are and upgrade the the bigger ones.

Those two things made a HUGE difference in my old truck. Had a camper in the box and was pulling a trailer with a my jeep on it and the trailer brakes failed. Had no problems brining the load down the mountain into Radium BC.

Still had to manually adjust the rear every couple of months though.....
Old 05-19-2008, 12:14 PM

I installed the GM wheel cylinders this weekend and i know have three fellers wanting it done to their truck! One of the best upgrades ever!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:02 AM

I did my 96 4X4 this weekend too. Good thing I was reading this thread as I had to use Infidel's suggestion on braking the rear drums loose. Also removed the front calipers and lubed the bolt and sleeve that let the calipers slide. As I was doing all this I also flushed the brake fluid and gravity bled the whole system. Brakes work better than ever. I know the bigger wheel cyl. helped but I think the gravity bleeding did a better job of bleeding. Now on to the next task, leaking trans cooling line.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by blackimpala
I did my 96 4X4 this weekend too. Good thing I was reading this thread as I had to use Infidel's suggestion on braking the rear drums loose. Also removed the front calipers and lubed the bolt and sleeve that let the calipers slide. As I was doing all this I also flushed the brake fluid and gravity bled the whole system. Brakes work better than ever. I know the bigger wheel cyl. helped but I think the gravity bleeding did a better job of bleeding. Now on to the next task, leaking trans cooling line.
I just fixed them too. PM sent.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:46 PM

I'm wanting to do this also,but was curious what brake shoes are you all running on the rear? NApa?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM wheel cylinders put in today........day and night!!!!!