Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Fumoto oil valves - possible clearance issues? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/fumoto-oil-valves-possible-clearance-issues-251135/)

Lyall 08-30-2009 05:02 PM

Fumoto oil valves - possible clearance issues?

Has anyone used a fumoto oil valve? Is there a clearance issue here? Are there any other products that will make it easier to change my truck oil in the driveway?

dieselman2300 08-30-2009 05:15 PM

I have had one on my 97 4x4 for about 3 years with no problems. It only hangs down about an inch.

nickg 08-30-2009 07:01 PM

I have one as well!! excellent product, makes it easy to take oil samples

VACHZHD 08-30-2009 07:25 PM

If they had big time clearance issues we would have read bad things about them on here I think... but never the less, if you are concerned about clearance, another one to check out is the EZ change drain plug and tube... more expensive, but it makes oil changes simple too. I've had one for about 10 years and its worked great. The tube lets you control the oil drainage pretty well. Geno's carries them, you can check it out there.

infidel 08-30-2009 07:59 PM

My question for years has been what's wrong with the factory drain plug?
For me simple is always better, never had a problem with the regular 'ol screw plugs on any engine.

OldDodgeOwner 08-30-2009 08:03 PM

Clearance is what worries me too. I'm worried I'd rip it off and dump all the oil. Course I've got an oil pressure alert on the Edge, so I probably wouldn't do any damage, but I'd still be up the creek...

Danderson 08-30-2009 08:29 PM

Fumoto drain plug.

Unless you rock crawl,I don't see how you'd ever hit that part of the truck anyway. It functions way better than the stock plug in that it is a controlled flow,not the "deluge,all or nothing" feature of the stock plug. It's the best $23.00 if put into the truck. I'm using the one without the nipple. There's a tech who posts here occassionally who's seriously wheeled all over the Southwest without an issue.

nickg 08-30-2009 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by infidel (Post 2564738)
My question for years has been what's wrong with the factory drain plug?
For me simple is always better, never had a problem with the regular 'ol screw plugs on any engine.

actually the first time I changed the oil in mine I "broke" the drain plug, I did not think I had over tightened it but I had, the lip is so thin that it cracked the whole way around, I got a new one, and welded up the old for a spare, lost a bit of oil trying to swap the plugs....the fumoto valve was way cheaper than the drain plug from the dealer!

Doj Dewd 08-30-2009 10:27 PM

i have the fumoto and it has been great. as said above - unless you are rock crawling, you will have no issues with clearance. if you are worried about bouncing rocks and low flying debris - don't be, it is very well protected by the front diff and axle.

as an added precaution - when i installed mine, i screwed and unscrewed it tight a couple times rotating the starting point each time until the lever ran front-to-back as opposed to side-to-side.

i would stay away from the EZ drain. he reason is because i had a friend using one and it uses a spring-loaded mechanism to open the plug and allow it to flow. well one day while performing an oil change something failed and the spring popped out (along with another hefty piece of brass) and into the oil pan. he tried everything under the sun to try and pull it out to no avail, and magnets did not work (it's brass). he then tried to drop the pan but a cross member got in the way. he had to have it towed from his driveway into cummins dealer and the motor had to be lifted up away from the frame to drop the pan enough to have access to get the pieces out.

that being said - i know there are many many guys using the EZ drain without any problems whatsoever.

annabelle 08-30-2009 11:08 PM

I don't rock crawl. However I have high centered in rough conditions. Therefore it flush stock for me......I would have sheared it off had it stuck down.

infidel 08-31-2009 09:32 AM

the "deluge,all or nothing" feature of the stock plug
Don't know about newer models but on the older ones the flow is very easy to control, you don't even have to remove the plug to drain all the oil.
In fact I rarely totally remove the plug, just a couple of turns is enough.

klx650a2 08-31-2009 11:56 AM

The 6.7 oil change experience is an unforgettable one to be sure. I had an EZ change one on my old truck and have since put one on the 6.7. That sooty oil WILL NOT come out of clothes!!!!