Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Full size spare under my bed, is this OK? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/full-size-spare-under-my-bed-ok-267385/)

brianpgriset 04-03-2010 03:47 PM

Full size spare under my bed, is this OK?

So when I did the brake upgrade I had yo go to 17" wheels, which I did, and I needed to get a 17" spare incase I had to put it on the front tires, which I did. Since I was getting all this new stuff I went ahead and got the cheapest full size spare tire I could as well, with load range E (nitto terra grappler). It has been bouncing around in my bed for a month. I finally got sick of it enough to see if it would fit where the spare goes under the bed, gave it a test run, and sure enough it just fits between the rails. Tire size is 285/70/17.

Any reason this would be a problem? My biggest concern is the extra weight, it is quite a bit heavier than the little 265 tire that use to be there.

Any thing I should look for?

SIXSLUG 04-03-2010 06:27 PM

I would inspect the entire cable and its attachment point to make sure there isn't any corrosion or broken wires in it.
If you can run it up snug and the keeper is tight in the hole in the center of the wheel you should be good to go.

johnh 04-03-2010 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by brianpgriset (Post 2740119)
So when I did the brake upgrade I had yo go to 17" wheels, which I did, and I needed to get a 17" spare incase I had to put it on the front tires, which I did. Since I was getting all this new stuff I went ahead and got the cheapest full size spare tire I could as well, with load range E (nitto terra grappler). It has been bouncing around in my bed for a month. I finally got sick of it enough to see if it would fit where the spare goes under the bed, gave it a test run, and sure enough it just fits between the rails. Tire size is 285/70/17.

Any reason this would be a problem? My biggest concern is the extra weight, it is quite a bit heavier than the little 265 tire that use to be there.

Any thing I should look for?

my 17 inch spare fits as well as the oem 235/85r16 does

sheriffav8r 04-03-2010 10:23 PM

It'll fit okay, but put a cable lock on it connecting the tire to the hitch or something like that so if the cable snaps you won't lose the tire....

GAmes 04-04-2010 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by sheriffav8r (Post 2740334)
It'll fit okay, but put a cable lock on it connecting the tire to the hitch or something like that so if the cable snaps you won't lose the tire....

I used a chain and lock, but secured it to the crossmember towards the front. If the cable breaks the tire will drag, if it secured to the receiver it will be a short pole vault IMO.

littlebuddie 04-04-2010 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by GAmes (Post 2740585)
I used a chain and lock, but secured it to the crossmember towards the front. If the cable breaks the tire will drag, if it secured to the receiver it will be a short pole vault IMO.

This REALLY made me laugh and is a good illustration of what could actually happen. :o I will do what GAmes suggests.

sheriffav8r 04-04-2010 09:05 PM

Hey, I just want to be alerted when it happens. Plus, I think people will laugh when they see it....

justme- 04-05-2010 01:00 PM

you want to be sure the amusing notice you get from it isn't a safety hazard- believe me the people driving next to you or behind you will quickly loose the laugh if it causes an accident because of there you secured the safety cable.

chadwick 04-05-2010 06:49 PM

Funny thing you mentioned this. Two weeks ago i was driving in a residental area with speed bumps. I hit the speed bump about 25 mph and as my rear tires came down the whole back end of my truck jumped up. I look in my rearview thinking the worst(ran over something or somebody) to see my spare bouncing about 15 feet in the air next to a brand new VW jetta. Luckly it was bouncing flat so it dident shoot off somewhere else. Backed up threw the tire in the bed and when i got home i looked at the cable and it toast. I had just check to make sure the tire was tight a couple weeks before when my tires where rotated. I am just glad it dident happen on a highway because it would have either totaled a car or kill somebody. So warning to everybody inspect your cable .