2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Fuel filter canister leaking around cap?

Old 09-28-2010, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel filter canister leaking around cap?

I never used to have problems with my fuel filter canister leaking around the seal on the cap until after I upgraded my lift pump....I just replaced my fuel filter tonight and now it wants to spew diesel out around the seal on the cap....Are there any other tricks to making sure that the seal is good other than using some fuel or grease on the new seal. I can't figure out why it's not making a good seal....I never had this problem after I changed my filter when I was running my original lift pump....Only thing I can figure out is it's because of higher pressure.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:24 AM

the plastic caps can crack over time small lines. I know the o-ring should be fine if there isn't something wrong with the structure of it. never had this problem when I put on the fass. may not be the cap could be also the housing. need to clean it and look at the thread lip of both. caps are cheap to replace if its the cap.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS
the plastic caps can crack over time small lines. I know the o-ring should be fine if there isn't something wrong with the structure of it. never had this problem when I put on the fass. may not be the cap could be also the housing. need to clean it and look at the thread lip of both. caps are cheap to replace if its the cap.

Thanks. I guess I will go ahead and get a new cap and and new o-ring. The housing is in very good shape so I don't think it could be the problem. I had been thinking about getting a metal cap anyway with a pressure port on it.

Is it normal to have just a very small amount of sediment or dirt in the bottom of the fuel filter canister when you change it out? I seemed like it would be normal since the lift pump didn't have a screen in it big enough to filter out all the very small stuff....Just wondering...
Old 09-28-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by mstep3
Thanks. I guess I will go ahead and get a new cap and and new o-ring. The housing is in very good shape so I don't think it could be the problem. I had been thinking about getting a metal cap anyway with a pressure port on it.

Is it normal to have just a very small amount of sediment or dirt in the bottom of the fuel filter canister when you change it out? I seemed like it would be normal since the lift pump didn't have a screen in it big enough to filter out all the very small stuff....Just wondering...
yep I have a small collection pending the time of year and what fuel stations I'm going to. I just drain the fuel all out and clean it out. make sure you dont knock around the sensor on the bottom. dont leave any paper towel in it.