Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Front end snapping noise (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/front-end-snapping-noise-101782/)

Burning Oil 05-03-2006 11:03 PM

Front end snapping noise

My 99 2500 CTD has developed a low speed snapping or clunk while turning. At first glance evrything looks tight does anyone have any ideas? The snapping sounds like it is near the steering box.

P.O.R. 05-04-2006 12:10 AM

check the bolts that hold the box on,make sure they are tite.also check the bolts that hold the axle to the control arms,i had a broken bolt.check the track bar at the frame end for slop.

Rauschbo 05-04-2006 07:12 AM

Welcome to DTR!

Please fill out your signature with more truck info so we all know what you're driving -in this case, if it's a 4WD, and the steering system all checks out okay, you may have a bad hub - I had one go out a few months ago, and it gave a similar noise signature

Burning Oil 05-04-2006 07:26 PM

Thanks for the welcome I plan a detailed check of the front end this weekend but I did find the power steering pump low about halfway on the stick. After filling and driving a few miles it seems that the noise has gone away for now.I hope for good but am doubtfull.

Dr.Kayak 05-05-2006 01:31 PM

I think I have the same problem. Just checked the power steering fluid and it looks fine. My sound is more of a metal to metal pop than a clunk. Coming from the drivers side. I hear it more than feel it thru the steering wheel. It happens randomly, always when turning. I have had a loose track bar and this is different. I checked everything for play. All I found was play in the intermediate steering shaft. I have replaced the shaft once and it never made this sound on the first failure. :confused:

ellerman 05-05-2006 03:18 PM

I have the same noise. It usually occures when I turn right. I'm thinking it is bad balljoints but everything on my front has some wear. Eric

elandon1201 05-05-2006 03:29 PM

Mine does it too when turning tight even mor prominent if you are on a rough surface. I have shook the whole front end down numerous times and nothing loose.....?????????????????

running4bhs 05-08-2006 04:07 AM

You know I had something like that and I tryed to chase this problem, turns out that it was my LDS in the rear end. I was way off

green73 05-11-2006 11:17 AM

I have a 2wd Y2K Ram and it does the same thing. I too have had the wheels off, and inspected/shook/twisted on everything underneath. One day I'll get it figured out....I hope. Being as it is doing it for 4WD and 2WD models, I am thinking it is something from the steering box to the column, and not the susension.

Tileman1 04-04-2007 08:00 PM

I'm having the same problem. It happens when I turn either left or right. And it is loud, like someone hitting a hammer on something under there. I know my steering box is leaking. Is there any way to repair it or does it have to be replaced?

TIMMY22 04-04-2007 08:59 PM

In 4WD the popping is usually the front axle u-joints.

A loose trackbar ballstud nut will make a popping noise while turning the wheel at low speeds.

TIMMY22 04-04-2007 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Kayak (Post 993997)
I think I have the same problem. Just checked the power steering fluid and it looks fine. My sound is more of a metal to metal pop than a clunk. Coming from the drivers side. I hear it more than feel it thru the steering wheel. It happens randomly, always when turning. I have had a loose track bar and this is different. I checked everything for play. All I found was play in the intermediate steering shaft. I have replaced the shaft once and it never made this sound on the first failure. :confused:

Try spraying your steering shaft u-joint with some PB blaster.

If the first digit of your'e vin is "1" or "3" built prior to march,3 '97 there was a revised intermediate shaft that should be installed.

Also, for all built before dec 31, '96 there was a toe plate revision. If your toe plate part # is 52078177 and you have more than 2mm of vertical play you should replace it.

dansdodgediesel 04-12-2007 06:48 PM

just to put my 2 cents in also. Mine was doing a lot of clucking when you truned the wheel when stopped engine off. Going down the road you felt every bump in the wheel. The Telescoping part of the streering shaft was set up. Loosed it up. All gone. Shaft is junk, new one in the mail.

Dan