2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

From V10 to 12 valve Cummins

Old 04-28-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From V10 to 12 valve Cummins

Just aquired my first 1997 Ram Cummins , I have a lot to learn and looking forward conversing with some of you that have had first hand experiences.
Im attempting to get it ready for Illinois D plate inspection , and to find the horns have been removed ,someone cut the complete wiring off when removing the horns . I found two blk. wires and two green/red wires I believe are for the horns but I also have a Blk./purple and a purple/green wire that Im not sure what is for . If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated .
Old 04-29-2012, 11:16 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
You can hook up a test light and push the horn button to test.

Maybe someone with a 97 FSM can look up the schematic for you or check another 97 with horns if you know anybody with one.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:20 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
My 1996 manual shows a dark green/red wire and a black wire going to each horn, black being the ground. Not sure what your others would be. There may have been a ground screw in the area with a couple of extra wires going to it, I'll have to snoop around my truck when I get a chance.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Jabatch
Just aquired my first 1997 Ram Cummins , I have a lot to learn and looking forward conversing with some of you that have had first hand experiences.
Im attempting to get it ready for Illinois D plate inspection , and to find the horns have been removed ,someone cut the complete wiring off when removing the horns . I found two blk. wires and two green/red wires I believe are for the horns but I also have a Blk./purple and a purple/green wire that Im not sure what is for . If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated .
From my 97 manual, horns are listed as your 18 Gauge DarkGreen/Red and Black ( ground ) combo, no specific for high or low notes. The Purple/Lt. Green and Purple/Black 18 Gauge wires are for the Ambient temperature sensor located up on the radiator support, let me guess, your overhead console temperature doesn't work as well? On my Greenie, that connector failed due to corrosion and the wires came down right in that area. I found that several Chrysler products used the same sensor/connector, and cut a pigtail from a mid 90's Intrepid at the junkyard to replace it, worked flawlessly ever since.

BTW, what part of Illinois? Streator here, 100 ish miles southwest of Chicago. If we are close enough, I would be happy to help you learn these beasts!
Old 04-29-2012, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horn wires

Thanks a million ! what would we do with out the internet , This is why my console has no temp. showing . I hooked up an air horn from harbor freight to get me thru inspection tomorrow .(horn is too high pitched for a cummins, so it has to go away soon ! LOL! ) May need more advise as I go , this truck is a project . Im in Rockford - Ive been to Streator a few times , have a couple friends there .
Originally Posted by patdaly
From my 97 manual, horns are listed as your 18 Gauge DarkGreen/Red and Black ( ground ) combo, no specific for high or low notes. The Purple/Lt. Green and Purple/Black 18 Gauge wires are for the Ambient temperature sensor located up on the radiator support, let me guess, your overhead console temperature doesn't work as well? On my Greenie, that connector failed due to corrosion and the wires came down right in that area. I found that several Chrysler products used the same sensor/connector, and cut a pigtail from a mid 90's Intrepid at the junkyard to replace it, worked flawlessly ever since.

BTW, what part of Illinois? Streator here, 100 ish miles southwest of Chicago. If we are close enough, I would be happy to help you learn these beasts!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Jabatch
Thanks a million ! what would we do with out the internet , This is why my console has no temp. showing . I hooked up an air horn from harbor freight to get me thru inspection tomorrow .(horn is too high pitched for a cummins, so it has to go away soon ! LOL! ) May need more advise as I go , this truck is a project . Im in Rockford - Ive been to Streator a few times , have a couple friends there .
COOL! I used to be up to Byron all the time racing, gotta wait until the Kids leave before I will have time or money to race...... Your Temp sensor, if it is still there is attached to the very right side ( facing it ) of the radiator support, about 4 inches down from the top of the opening, it is held in by an 8 or 10 MM head bolt, looks like the typical Chryco ambient temp sensor.

Be happy to help you anyway possible!