2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

emergancy brake release on its own

Old 11-24-2002, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:emergancy brake release on its own

CH

If you will look at what the brake release handle is pulling, you will be looking where your problem is. It could be the release handle is not going in as it should or the catch that holds the brakes in the locked position is worn or out of position.

Should be a simple adjustment or replace the brake pedal assembly, which is fairly simple to do.

Dan
Old 11-25-2002, 01:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I'm not too smart, but I did learn my lesson Parked the rig on a hill at an auction, set the brake and forgot to pop it into gear. Put the ramps down, pulled the first car up the trailer, pulled the second one on, no problem. Pulled the third one on the trailer and realized that I was moving. Holy crap, I'm in the car and the whole rig is moving. I slam the car in park and dive out of the car to catch the rig. I hit the ground and skin myself up and realize that the truck stopped but the car never got into park :'( So the car is heading down hill and I run after it. My lucky day, it makes a U turn, of course throwing me to the side as i try to get in the door. I go rolling down the hill and another driver stopped the car as it turned. Broke my phone and a two way radio, a few drivers cheered. I ached for a week. And so stupid, what stopped the truck was when the car hit the ramps it stopped the truck. All I had to do was back up three feet [undecided] All this took place about 50 feet from a chain link fence with a main Atlanta Blvd on the other side. To be sure... I chock it or gear it. I got the message, everyone should.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:59 AM

Haulin in Dixie, <br><br>Don't put yourself down like that, &quot; Now I'm not too smart, but I did learn my lesson&quot;. <br><br>Smart people are those who learn from their mistakes. The dumb ones never learn from their mistakes.<br><br>By your own admission you're one of the smart ones.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:10 PM

[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=5;threadid=7260;start=15#72096 date=1038209552]<br>Now I'm not too smart, but I did learn my lesson Parked the rig on a hill at an auction, set the brake and forgot to pop it into gear. Put the ramps down, pulled the first car up the trailer, pulled the second one on, no problem. Pulled the third one on the trailer and realized that I was moving. Holy crap, I'm in the car and the whole rig is moving. I slam the car in park and dive out of the car to catch the rig. I hit the ground and skin myself up and realize that the truck stopped but the car never got into park :'( So the car is heading down hill and I run after it. My lucky day, it makes a U turn, of course throwing me to the side as i try to get in the door. I go rolling down the hill and another driver stopped the car as it turned. Broke my phone and a two way radio, a few drivers cheered. I ached for a week. And so stupid, what stopped the truck was when the car hit the ramps it stopped the truck. All I had to do was back up three feet [undecided] All this took place about 50 feet from a chain link fence with a main Atlanta Blvd on the other side. To be sure... I chock it or gear it. I got the message, everyone should.<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Been there done that only without the trailer just the truck went rolling down a hill ramped off an 8 foot embankment and landed 8inches from the river!!!!!!!put a few dents in my 97 nothing that wont fix though!
Old 11-30-2002, 01:03 PM

CH<br><br>Did you get this problem solved?<br><br>Dan
Old 12-02-2002, 09:59 PM

CH I seem to remember that happening to a Chevy Dually I had before I got my Dodge. The entire e-brake set up was out of wack witch didnt have much pressure. The wind would blow and it would release. May look into the cable sections. Especially after putting the flat on. Who knows what the guy may have done to the ole girl. I do love the flat though ;D
Old 12-03-2002, 08:07 PM

Good to hear.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:18 PM

mine's gettin weak btall i'm gonna do is tighten the cable. i haven't ever had it release but that's what happned to combs when his rolled down the hill through the fence. think it was worse in a couple of different model years nt sure which ones though<br>