Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Drilled rotors to prevent warp? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/drilled-rotors-prevent-warp-241448/)

kawi600 04-29-2009 09:39 AM

Drilled rotors to prevent warp?

I can tell I warped the rotors again since it grabs during a slow stop. Probably contributed to a recent accident too since it locked up so easy.
What do you guys recommend for drilled rotors to lower the tendency to warp?

tmills 04-29-2009 10:10 AM

I've never had luck with rotors after they have been resurfaced. They always seem to warp after that.
Try the slotted rotors from EGR. They have worked well for me.

WestTN 04-29-2009 10:22 PM

The best way to get rid of disc warping is to get the rear brakes to do their job. Do a search for using bigger Chevy rear wheel cylinders and make sure your rear adjusters are working properly.

kawi600 04-30-2009 09:41 AM

I have the 1-ton cylinders and the star wheels are adjusted so I get a little turning resistance. The rears lock up too easy though. The fronts are the big problem they lock up due to the warp.

Silver R/T 04-30-2009 03:17 PM

you have to remember that with drilled rotors it gives you less surface area for pads to grab onto.

blacksmoke99 04-30-2009 10:33 PM

Drilles rotors sometimes have a tendency to develop cracks in them.

Danderson 04-30-2009 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Silver R/T (Post 2466984)
you have to remember that with drilled rotors it gives you less surface area for pads to grab onto.

Exactly! Drilled and slotted rotors actually have 9% less surface area for the pads to grab onto. I went with EGR's rear disc setup for greatly increased stopping power on my '98.5,but it suffered from increased pedal travel and poor parking brake manners.

infidel 05-01-2009 10:00 AM

My 50 years in the brake business buddy who only works on brakes including 747 jetliners has told me drilled and slotted rotors are great for sports and race cars but have no place on a truck.
Less surface area and the tendency to crack are his reasons.
He said that people who drive heavy trucks mainly need to learn how to drive a truck. Downshifting and watching the road ahead make for much less braking.

raychem 05-01-2009 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by kawi600 (Post 2466727)
I have the 1-ton cylinders and the star wheels are adjusted so I get a little turning resistance. The rears lock up too easy though. The fronts are the big problem they lock up due to the warp.

The rears lock up because they are too tight, they should not lock up at all. Brakes have been discussed many times before. There are a multitude of opinions.

I would suggest the power slot rotors with the hawk servere duty brake pads for your truck. I have used this combo on numerous trucks and I have never recieved any complaints. As with all things, there is a trade off. High performance brake pads tend to last a bit less but give you better braking performance. I just tell people that replaceing brake pads is cheaper than paying your deductable.

Richard

ddestruel 05-01-2009 03:33 PM

cryo genically frozen rotors resist warping more so than std un treated steel rotors

Yellow Yota 05-03-2009 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by ddestruel (Post 2468032)
cryo genically frozen rotors resist warping more so than std un treated steel rotors

Any info to back this claim up? I run other parts in my rock crawler that are cryo'd with great luck, but hadn't thought about rotors. Will it work on a part that sees the intense heat?

I'm interesteg if the theory can be backed up.