2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Death Wobble....hope its not a dead horse

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death Wobble....hope its not a dead horse

I have been looking around the past few weeks and I now have a problem. First off you guys are great, Love the BB.

Second I did a search and found a few threads about, but this is some SCARY ........very scary stuff.

I have had my 95 S.C. Long Bed 4x4 for 2 weeks now. I just loaded up my trailer and was trying to figure out my tounge weight and all that happy stuff.

I was coming down a hill at 50 mph and hit a bump, I was also in a slight turn.

I swear I thought I was in an Earthquake....I tried to stop but it would not respond. It was some crazy stuff. I went and got my brother and we hit the same are at 45mph and it was not bad.
We then went back and hit it at 50....it did the Death wobble. He stuck his head out the window and said the tires were pointing out and were bouncing up and down. I tried to speed up and it just got worse. I again smashed the breaks to the floor and it took a long time to stop.

I have read the other thread about the font end walking.....is this what they call WALKING??

IF so I would hate to see what they call a "Death Wobble"

Do I need new sturts, new stabilzer, or just a track bar?

I am worried to even tow with this thing at this point!

Thanks in advance and again I hope I am not riding a dead horse.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:53 AM

That'd be the death wobble, and yes you will start praying vigoursly when it occurs. Glad you are okay.

Any idea how many miles are on the trac bar and shocks? When was the last alignment? Any other obnoxious handling behavior? Is the truck lifted at all? How long since the last set of brakes? How old are the tires, and have they been balanced recently?

Could very well be a combination of things....

Sorry no answers, just more questions at this time.

Matt
Old 05-25-2004, 08:58 AM

Trac bar and shocks look like they have never been replaced. The truck has 205,000 on it. I would have to contact the owner to see when the last alignment was. No lift on the truck. When I got the truck I was told the brakes were done at 195. The tires could be replaced, but due to the fact its not my daily driver I was not to worried about it. I was going to put some new tires on late summer.

From what you all know does the Death wobble happen at all speeds? Or is it just at that 55 mph speed when the D.W. happens? I mean if I am going down the hwy at 65-70 and I hit a bump will this happen?

I have been driving around with no load on it and the D.W. never happened. Is it only when you have a load or will this happen with out the load?

So were do I start, if I have to sink some big cash into it the truck then it may have to sit.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:10 AM
Banned

Get a Luke's Link . That should solve your problem. A new set of shocks will help as well. Shouldn't be to expensive.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:34 AM

i got a new steering stabilizer and it helped out alot
i've been looking into this http://www.solidsteel.ca/DSS.htm
and the luke's links, and maybe duel stabilizers
hopefully that takes care of the death wobble
Old 05-25-2004, 12:42 PM

The big DW usually occurs at a certain speed. It usually occurs with or without a load. I would think that if it were a tongue weight issue that it would occur all the time - ie front end is light.

I would be getting a new trac bar and shocks upfront, then get it aligned. That should go a long way towards helping out.

I would replace the shock on the steering stabilizer or go with a new one all together.

A good once over on the brakes is proably in order.

This all shouldn't be too expensive.

Matt
Old 05-25-2004, 05:20 PM

Thanks guys. I talked to Johnnie at Lukes. He was a nice guy and took the time to talk to me about why this thing is doing what it is doing. I ordered his kit, he said to throw it on if it does not take care of the problem call him back and he would make it right with me..... that is way cool.

Sent it out USPS and since I am in Colorado I should get it on Wed or Thur.

I will also do a few struts and things like that. He did mention to make sure when I get an alignment that I have the shop put as much positive caster as they can. I think it should be easy to put my own caster on, but will wait to see if this kit does the trick.

I will keep you all updated as what is going on..Again Thanks for the help!
Old 05-27-2004, 12:48 AM

I got the Lukes kit today, and installed. It only took about an hour to install. The Directions were great also. I went out and tested it. I hit the same spot that I made the DW happen three times in a row before...now no DW....it has a very slight bounce just like the DW use to start out as, but now it goes away in a hurry. It is 100 times better. I need to put a new stabilizer on and I am sure it will take care of even that little bounce.

One other thing I noticed the steering is very responsive now and is very tight!

I was worth every nickle and then some. Not much to the kit, but after installing it I think the guy is doing me a favor at that price!!
Old 05-27-2004, 01:45 AM

Glad it turned out so well...cheap fix.

My Jeep got DW at cetain sppeds on certain roads...steering tabilzer took care of most of it,,,new tires and balance did the rest.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:47 AM

Hi Guys,

I just took my 2001 to check the alignment for some tire wear. They said my ball joints are going. I've got an appointment in 2 weeks to have them all replaced at about $700. The guy also said the tracking bar has a little play in it (vertical but not horizontal). I tow with this truck and also keep a pretty heavy load in it all the time. Should I get the Lukes Links and have them installed at the same time??
Old 05-27-2004, 07:35 AM

bigdogtruck - I would be replacing it. Also, Moog ball joints are probably the best out there...

towrig - great deal! Glad it all worked out for you.

Matt
Old 05-27-2004, 09:00 AM

Thanks guys.

Hey Bigdogtruck how many miles on your ride? I would call Johnnie at Lukes, he is a front end man. Sounds like he has been doing it a long time. Once you go to a Moog ball joint you cant use the Luke kit. Its worth a phone call to talk to him Lukes Contact info good luck!
Old 05-27-2004, 05:27 PM

There's something I didn't know! Thanks for posting that.

Matt
Old 05-27-2004, 07:42 PM

Towrig,
I just got an e-mail from Johnnie at Lukes Links. He said the Lukes Link will replace the ball joints as well as the ball joint on the trac bar. Total shipped is $280 for my truck - lifetime warrenty, all 5 joints. Anyone have experience with this substitution?
Old 05-28-2004, 08:56 AM

The only thing I can say about it is it worked for me. I talked to him after I installed it and told him what was going on with my truck and he was very helpfull.

I could put one of this kits on in 30 min now. The first one I took my time and made sure I was doing it right. But after you see how easy it is then you can bang it right out. It sounds like the savings in really good for you. $700 vs $300= $400 that stays in your wallet!!

The hardest part about doing the kit was taking off the Arm. I used my BFH and was getting wore out hitting that pickle. I finally got it putting the nut on backwards and hitting it a few times, then I put the pickle back it and it came right off! The only other thing you will need is a grinder to grind down the top of the tie rod end. If you have any more questions call Johnnie back, he is way cool!
Good luck, and keep us updated!

Quick Reply: Death Wobble....hope its not a dead horse