2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Critters!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Critters!

Howdy all--

Anyone ever do battle with mice living in the ductwork system? I assume they gain access through the vents that come out by your feet. I would like to just screen them off but I don't want to trap any inside.

Hows about that one????

Thanks folks!

Erik
Old 07-20-2009, 12:12 AM

if you can stand the smell put some moth ***** just between the openings in the upper vents (so you can still get them back out) and just let is sit. I have also read that pepermint oil keeps them away. I would think puting anything in the truck that you can stand but they can't would get them out. Kinda like a stinky fart will clear a room.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:06 AM

On that note about peppermint oil: a non-toxic insecticide is available at the grocer's: Victor Poison Free wasp and hornet spray has a strong mint odor(8% mint oil) that may drive them out with the blower on "high" and the mode on "heat". Spray into the cowl vent. Allow cab to air out when finished. The spray is non-toxic to humans but works well as a knockdown spray when we have wasp nests in close proximity to the air conditioning units and chillers we service.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Bounce clothes dryer sheets will repel mice but the best cure is prevention.
If you keep your doors and windows closed they can't get in the cab.
They can get in the factory air filter box though.
I finally had to pop-rivet some hardware cloth over the box opening to keep them from stuffing it with insulation they ripped from under the hood.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:30 PM

Maybe I'll rivet a metal plate onto the hole in the side of the body of mine, which allows access for them. Got the hole from a little accident, after which it sat with a water-soaked factory repair manual. I am tormented and insulted on a daily basis because when I turn on my fan, out shoot little scraps of the index mixed in with the varied cab debris.

I better check my air filter box...