2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Cracked Dash - Spoke to Chrysler Claims Rep & Manager

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our 98 is combination electrical tape and duct tape. I think there is less than 15% of the original dash left.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by JasonblkZ06
I went pretty high up with Chrysler recently with a proposed solution to keep me as a satisfied customer. My truck is my 8th Chrysler vehicle I have owned and last. I said I could get the aftermarket dash for $300 and if they split the cost of the dash that I would be happy. I would pay to paint it and install it myself. For $150 they flat out told me to go to hell in a nutshell. I can't believe for such a small sum they would not make an exception and make me satisfied. If they had simply cut me a check, I would buy another Ram after this one, now I will be getting a Duramax. What a poor business decision on their part. I will also be letting everyone know how they treat their customers. I went above the claim rep in charge of making the decision and spoke with a manager, he said the same thing and refused to let me speak to anyone else. I guess they are too busy smoking pot on break and spending tax payer money on union pensions and bailouts. No wonder Chrysler is bankrupt - they make a crap product and treat their customers like crap. I hope they fail.
If you're willing to switch brands over a $150 9-year old dash board, you weren't really that loyal of a customer to begin with.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:25 AM

Sounds also like the dealer you chose has alotta say in that, The dealer I bought my Ram from was great and took care of any little problem that arose,unfortunatly they went out of business. The dealer that I bought my wrangler from wouldn't even return a call after they got my money. So I think your problem might be with the dealer more than Chrysler itself
Old 10-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I just changed out two dashes this month. Customer paid full price and was happy with it. They really must love their Dodge trucks. Next time invest in dash cover or sun shield for windshield when you leave your truck parked in 100+ degree Texas Sun for 8 years.
Good luck with your Duramax.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:45 PM

Everything nowadays is a piece of crap. Sucks, but we have to deal with it.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:04 PM

Dodge Dash

I drove Ford for 10 years no dash problems before I bought this 01.5 new,if Cummins came in Chevy I would be driveing a Chevy.The point is you need to keep a dash cover on them.Just my 2c
Old 10-17-2010, 07:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just replaced a dash in an 03 Ram 1500 that had a little over 100 K miles on it. Chrysler supplied the part, customer paid the labor. I also replaced a dash top on a high mile 01 last year under the same circumstances..... Chrysler bought the part, customer paid the labor. Both customer have purchased Chrysler vehicles, and both of these trucks had been faithfully maintained at their local dealer. BTW my 01 has sat outside in the hot desert heat all it's life. Dash cover in place and a custom fit sunshade always used. Just got my first crack within the last three months or so. I'll be installing a new one in my baby soon.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:15 PM

Could someone post some pictures, I have been in a few Rams, and looked at alot of ads and trucks when I was shopping for a Cummins, and I have never seen a cracked dash, Maybe cause of the colder climate I live in.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:37 PM

Neither of my trucks have a cracked dash, Sure they sit in a garage at night, but during the day they both are outside working. The 96 has 260,000 miles on it and the 98 is just over 400,000 miles. Maybe Its cause i keep them clean, i dont know, but personally, I have never seen a cracked dash of all the Dodges, I have seen
Old 10-17-2010, 09:13 PM

A dealer might cut you the deal you want as long as you promise to buy your next truck from them.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It appears to me some have their mind made up in spite of what happens. I have owned a few other rigs beside Mopars but most have been Chrysler products. They have served me well, so no complaint here. My '01 was purchased in February of '00, has about 156,000 miles and has been outside all of it's life. So far, dash has been fine and still looks like new.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:36 PM

I work in a blown film plastics plant. We use several additives in our blends when making specific plastics. One additive we use when producing film for a certain customer is a UV additive. It helps the plastic deal with being in direct sunlight. One of our older blending systems was set-up that if it were to run out of one element in the blend it would make up the difference by increasing another element in the blend. An alarm light would tell you that something was out of spec. but if you were busy with another extruder in the plant you may not notice it for a half hour or so. We would scrap the film and get the blend straight and continue. In a half hour it would pump out 450-500 lbs. of plastic. The blender has since been updated so as it will just stop blendind when it runs out of any part of the mix. I wonder sometimes if this could be the cause of only some dashes failing. A malfunction in the blend of the plastic and additives during production of the dash pieces. I am sure the parts are outsourced somewhere and the qc dept or the workers just turn a blind eye. They may even be told to "send it" by upper management.
Everyone trying to svae a buck at the expense of the consumer.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:43 PM

Just watch this video!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-gye...eature=related

Dash cracks in Dodge.