2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

A/C not blowing cold

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C not blowing cold

I just had my A/C recharged (blowing cool air, not cold) took quite a bit of juice but now it still blows warm air and not cycling anymore. It was constantly cycling on/off like it was low on juice. I was told that the A/C cycling switch was bad. Why would it cycle before charging and then not, it also does not cycle with defroster on now either. Any ideas? Thanks for any info.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:34 PM

Don't know what the high/low pressure was. They had it in the shop and couldn't see, but he said he jump wired the switch and it started to cycle. It is the switch nearest the firewall on the passenger side behind my AFE air intake, don't really know what the switch is called.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
That is the low pressure cutoff switch. Its function is to disable the compressor in very low pressure (refrigerant loss) to prevent the compressor from self destructing. It isn't a cycling switch. Under normal conditions (proper refrigerant charge) the A/C compressor should cycle no more than 10 times per minute (from the factory service manual).

Sounds like you have a leak that really needs to get fixed.

Find the leak, fix that. While the system is opened, have the accumulator/dryer replaced. That will put a fresh dessicant charge in the system as well. Dessicant is moisture absorbers, and are needed to keep moisture out of an A/C system, especially if there is a leak. When moisture and refridgerant mix and forms a very acidic mixture that will wreak havoc on your system. It is good practice to have the accumulator/dryer replaced whenever the system is opened, especially if its been a long time since it was changed or initially installed.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:25 PM

Thanks jrs and saab9k for the info, I will take it to the shop $$$$ don't know too much about A/C. Just trying to get ready for summer!!!