2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Buying my first truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying my first truck

Looking at purchasing my first truck. Funds are limited, so looking at buying used. Admittedly, I am not knowledge with trucks, or vehicles in general (though I hope to change that once I purchase a truck). I have been browsing online for a bit now and stumbled upon this '97 Ram. Read that this era of engine is thought to be very reliable and durable; I don't know much about the body/rest of the vehicle, though. Also, remember, these are Canadian dollars.

***edit*** I've been told I can't post the link to the craigslist ad, so here is what the seller lists:
1997 dodge 2500 12 valve diesel

-255,000 km pretty low km for a 12 valve
-Has 0 rust around whole truck
-Brand new Bed line and rubber mat
-Truck has #10 fuel plate
-BHAF
-4x4
-fire stone air bags
-automatic transmission heavy duty torque converter no reciepts (guy before me installed)
-35/12.50/20 general grabbers at2 75-80%
-Boost/EGT/trans gauges auto meter phantom 2's
-Brand new stereo and brand new speakers with 2 6x9 under backseat
-custom headlights
-few dings,dents, scratches

Sure I'm forgetting stuff but feel free to text or call anytime

10,000 OBO***

Does anyone have any advice/thoughts about the price and/or what I should be looking for, in terms of issues/signs of good/poor maintenance, with a Dodge of this age and mileage (256k kilometers is about 160k miles). The interior is in about the shape you'd expect for a 2007 vehicle - a little the worse for wear (if anyone is keen enough to see pictures, fire me a private message and I'll send you the link to the ad).

Thanks for your advice
Old 05-12-2016, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
At least they installed gauges to monitor the fuel mods......

That's not too bad of a price for a 97, not sure what the exchange is CAD to USD, but that truck would bring that price in USD here all day long at 160K miles.

I'm not a big fan of that large of a tire, I am sure they also have installed a front leveling kit.

Trans is a crap shoot, just make sure it shifts good at or near WOT........ Then don't beat on it like that when you own it until you have saved the $$$ for a full build.

To me, if the KDP hasn't been addressed, get that done first, then drive it.

I personally think the 97's are the best overall year, first year of hydraboost brakes, last year of old style interior and still a 12 valve.

Oh yea, drive it over some variable rough roads at 45-60 MPH to try and get her to death wobble......... I would almost bet she does it.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply, pat. The exchange would have it at about $7800USD.

I'm going to expose my ignorance here, but gotta ask the questions so I can learn.
1) What is WOT? ***never mind, Wide Open Throttle?***
2) Are you saying I should have him address the KDP or do it myself after purchase? Either way, is it expensive to have done?
3) Death wobble - doesn't sound good. Is that due to the age/year of the truck? Or...?

Thanks again for the input
Old 05-13-2016, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by shafty85
Thanks for the reply, pat. The exchange would have it at about $7800USD.

I'm going to expose my ignorance here, but gotta ask the questions so I can learn.
1) What is WOT? ***never mind, Wide Open Throttle?***
2) Are you saying I should have him address the KDP or do it myself after purchase? Either way, is it expensive to have done?
3) Death wobble - doesn't sound good. Is that due to the age/year of the truck? Or...?

Thanks again for the input
Sorry, I use too many shortcuts......

For that price, I wouldn't push him on the KDP, just check to see if it has been done. Not terribly expensive if you do it yourself, just marginally expensive if you have a GOOD mechanic do it. Essentially you pull the front cover and use a tab to retain the dowel pin. My first time took probably 5 hours not rushing it. You don't have to get all goofy and strip the whole front end like some instructions say. Figure 60-70 in parts ( buy good crank seal ) and then whatever your mechanic charges you per hour.

Death wobble is not limited to Dodges, but they seem to get their fair share of it. I personally think it has more to do with the front suspension setup than anything else, and this contributes to there being a myriad of causes and fixes with our trucks. Basically make sure everything is good and tight, Shocks and Tires are good, and have the maximum Caster dialed in and these things drive like a dream.......
Old 05-14-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
I would ask the guy if you could take it to a transmission shop and have them pull the pan. A good shop will be able to tell you if it is original or has been overhauled. I got bit on mine with not much more mileage.