2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Briter lites

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my CTD new in '99 and the lights have always s*cked. I have the wiring kit coming and will do the hig/low beam thing. Here is an excellent website for the straight dope on lighting issues:http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
Old 11-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Banned

Sorry guys haven't been on for a few days to respond. The bulbs are Jetco 9004 Halogen 100w/80w Rating Automotive application clear bulbs, and I bought them at an International truck dealer(used to work there), but any heavy truck or NAPA type stores should carry them.

The low beams(80w) are quite a bit brighter than stock 55watt, but do not seem to bother oncoming traffic. I did re-adjust them(after installing) a little to light road better down, out, and to the sides. I run low beam and driving lights on all the time, and flip on hi-beams WITH driving lights on also on hiway, and it's QUITE bright.

This time of year it's dark in the a.m. at work time, and almost dark now at home time . I'm out doing stuff almost every night, and have lights on, and only had 1 bulb(on low beam burn out) in 3 years. If you are moving when headlights are on it is a non-issue, if you stop for EXTENDED period of time just shut off lights(DRL's on won't hurt). Never had plastic melt because of doing this, but it probably could if airflow is not there to cool off lens and bulb.

The biggest reason bulbs burnout ESPECIALLY HALOGEN, is NOT CLEANING OFF THE GLASS BULB. You must clean them off with glass cleaner, as oil on your hands will cause the gas inside bulb to overheat, causing filament to burn out in a short timeframe. Hope this answers all of the questions.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by slayerfish
I got my CTD new in '99 and the lights have always s*cked. I have the wiring kit coming and will do the hig/low beam thing. Here is an excellent website for the straight dope on lighting issues:http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
Wow, that is a very informative link on lighting....there is a lot of good reading there.....thank you.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TORQUE
Sorry guys haven't been on for a few days to respond. The bulbs are Jetco 9004 Halogen 100w/80w Rating Automotive application clear bulbs, and I bought them at an International truck dealer(used to work there), but any heavy truck or NAPA type stores should carry them.

The low beams(80w) are quite a bit brighter than stock 55watt, but do not seem to bother oncoming traffic. I did re-adjust them(after installing) a little to light road better down, out, and to the sides. I run low beam and driving lights on all the time, and flip on hi-beams WITH driving lights on also on hiway, and it's QUITE bright.

This time of year it's dark in the a.m. at work time, and almost dark now at home time . I'm out doing stuff almost every night, and have lights on, and only had 1 bulb(on low beam burn out) in 3 years. If you are moving when headlights are on it is a non-issue, if you stop for EXTENDED period of time just shut off lights(DRL's on won't hurt). Never had plastic melt because of doing this, but it probably could if airflow is not there to cool off lens and bulb.

The biggest reason bulbs burnout ESPECIALLY HALOGEN, is NOT CLEANING OFF THE GLASS BULB. You must clean them off with glass cleaner, as oil on your hands will cause the gas inside bulb to overheat, causing filament to burn out in a short timeframe. Hope this answers all of the questions.
Thank you for the feedback.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:38 PM

I might looking to getting me a set of those 80/100W bulbs.

Currently I'm running a set of aircraft landing lights 100W and a second set of driving lights 55W. I've got them wired so one one or the other is on. You can't select both. As for the 100w aircraft lights... Boy they light up a good 1/4 to a 1/3 of mile! Very bright!

I will not use my 100w aircraft landing lights in town or when traffic is heavy on the road. If the highway is empty (which it normally is..) I flip on the 100w aircraft's and boy it will wash out the stock headlights.

Just another idea to toss out there...
Old 11-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Banned

No problem CTD NUT, glad to help shed some LIGHT on the subject.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:36 PM

Are you using original wireing or upgrade with relays?
Old 11-03-2005, 05:44 PM

You can make your dims and brights be on at the same time by turning the brights on, then pulling the handle again (as if you're going to turn the dims back on), but holding it back instead of letting it go.

IMO though, this doesn't really help much. Like I've stated before, the low beams are the real culprit, not the high beams.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Banned

It is all original OEM wiring, and utilizing same relays already put in from the factory for headlight and foglight circuits in power distribution box(under hood). I haven't modified anything, except changed out to 80/100w bulbs, and removed foglight relay and added jumper wire(with fuse).
Old 11-03-2005, 06:18 PM

It is all original OEM wiring, and utilizing same relays already put in from the factory for headlight and foglight circuits in power distribution box(under hood). I haven't modified anything, except changed out to 80/100w bulbs, and removed foglight relay and added jumper wire(with fuse).
Would it be safe to assume that the 80 watt on dim would be briter than the stock brite 65 watt?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Banned

OH YA, it definately is at least in the dark
Old 11-03-2005, 07:16 PM

The reason that i asked was that there seems to be 80/100 that are acually 45/65s and say in the fine print on the box "equivalent to 100" so am wondering if they are "true" 80/100s.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:08 PM
Banned

Why where have you seen those? I have never come across any such lights as you say. Maybe you should shop at a better store.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by slayerfish
I got my CTD new in '99 and the lights have always s*cked.
i have a wiring harness and silverstar bulbs on my car that runs the lows with the highs and puts out more voltage from taking the electricity directly from the battery. a friend of mine has the same setup on his dodge and it really lights things up. a mod definately worth doing!!!

http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/Dodge/lighting.htm
Old 11-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why where have you seen those? I have never come across any such lights as you say. Maybe you should shop at a better store.
The more expensive PIAA bulbs do that.. They say "equivalent to xxx" and state the actual wattage on the bottom of the case.

Real fact is, they are no brighter than the higher quality GE or Sylvania bulbs IMHO... You have to actually get the 80/100 to get 80/100 lite.

CTD NUT

Thanks for the tip.. I forgot about the DRL's.. Mine are unhooked so it shouldn't matter, but another guy I was talking to would still have the DRL's active.

I might get the kit anyway since I don't run DRL's..

Quick Reply: Briter lites