2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Are all trucks pre-wired for power windows?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 02:26 PM
APD

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are all trucks pre-wired for power windows?

I have a '97 with manual crank windows. I have the opportunity to get the doors off a '96 with power windows.
I want to keep my doors and move all the power components and interior door panels onto my existing doors.
I'm wondering if it will be a simple plug-and-play? Is the wiring harness for power windows already in my existing doors?
Old 03-02-2018, 04:02 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by APD
I have a '97 with manual crank windows. I have the opportunity to get the doors off a '96 with power windows.
I want to keep my doors and move all the power components and interior door panels onto my existing doors.
I'm wondering if it will be a simple plug-and-play? Is the wiring harness for power windows already in my existing doors?
If I have to bet that they're prewired, I would bet no, they're not.

I think Oliver can clarify, considering how many of those trucks he's scrapped. Big manufacturers pride themselves for pinching pennies, and not install things that "might" be used, vs what was actually scheduled in the original order for the vehicle, whether it was a stock truck, or a made to order one off.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:54 PM
APD

Originally Posted by NJTman
Big manufacturers pride themselves for pinching pennies,
Exactly....and often it is cheaper for them to make just one wiring harness and install it in all vehicles, than to make 3 or 4 different harnesses for different option packages. Usually its just a multi-pin connector and some pins are used, some are not.

Wiring harnesses are one of the first things attached to chassis and it has to go through the firewall and then buried behind the dash etc....very expensive to swap.

Ever wonder why there are all those unused fuse spaces in your fuse box? They are for the options packages, it's cheaper to just make a single fuse box that accommodates all models/options.

I know for a fact that in my old Toyota pickup, I was able to plug in the components from the upgraded SR5 package with no wiring modifications. And Toyota is famous for its ultra-efficient, streamlined, no-waste manufacturing.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:54 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
If you so strongly believe in this efficiency theory, buy a FSM, pull the door panel, and open up the harness covering. Look and see what wires are there and what are not.

My fuse panel has empty spots in it, yes it's true. You wouldn't believe it, though, there are no wires inside the back of the fuse box, therefore no conduit for power to items not optioned on my ride. Recepticals on the fuse box without the corresponding wire to the optional item that originally didn't come with the truck, won't do me any good, eh?

I've never found "optional" wires in any wiring harness that I've opened up, but maybe YMMV.

Best to you and your quest.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:40 PM
APD

Well here is what I know so far.
There is a multi-pin connector plug inside the rubber boot between the door and cab.
There are 10 wires on coming out of it to the cab side.
There is power to the empty fuse slot for the power windows when I turn on the ignition.
There are also 2 other speaker wires going into the door. Speakers and power mirror (aftermarket) are the only electrical components in my doors.

So I would suspect that a complete door from a PW/PDL vehicle would be plug-and-play. I'm asking here for confirmation from someone who may have done this swap before.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by APD
Well here is what I know so far.
There is a multi-pin connector plug inside the rubber boot between the door and cab.
There are 10 wires on coming out of it to the cab side.
There is power to the empty fuse slot for the power windows when I turn on the ignition.
There are also 2 other speaker wires going into the door. Speakers and power mirror (aftermarket) are the only electrical components in my doors.

So I would suspect that a complete door from a PW/PDL vehicle would be plug-and-play. I'm asking here for confirmation from someone who may have done this swap before.
The two extra speaker wires are for the premium Infinity sound system. They carried 12V power to an amp that was mounted on the speaker.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:11 AM
APD

Yeah I know about the infinity speakers. That leaves 8 extra wires available at the multi-pin.