2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Brake lights work with headlights off but not when headlights on. solved

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Brake lights work with headlights off but not when headlights on. solved

Greetings,
This will be my first post, have been moonlighting the group a while and get a lot of useful information from here. I decided to add my post and maybe help someone else sometime maybe. Now on to the show.

I have a 1997 Dodge 3500 4WD Dually (Cummins) with 149k miles. While driving earlier this week a passerby told me that my running and brake lights were going out when i hit my brakes. (It was nightime,so headlights were on.)
When I got back and started checking, i had brake lights if the headlights were off, but no running lights or brake lights if the headlights were on and I depressed the brake pedal. (NOTE: my backup lights had quit some time ago) If i turned on the signal lights with the headlights on, both rear signals would blink regardless of the direction i chose. (marker lights quit a long time ago too)
I have a new light switch and new connector (a year old but only about 5 to 10 hours of night driving on it). So I cleaned all grounds in the engine bay, separated the fuse/relay box next to battery, check and cleaned anything suspicious. Cleaned all relays and used connector grease on all as well as switched them around since they are all the same part number to see if the problem changed. Pulled headlight switch and checked it..appears as new. Replaced all the rear bulbs, cleaned sockets, cleaned connectors underneath and checked fuses....still nothing.
Then it came to me to hook up the camper as I have a smart box controller, it will let you know if something is wrong..it was fine...camper running and brake lights work as they should headlights on or off. Which told me that my problem was at whatever point my trailer harness (factory) met my other lights or toward the rear of the vehicle from there. So under I went started undoing my harness and removing the plastic the harness fits in until I find some split connectors common to both about three inches to the rear of the axle ( there is a formed plastic piece on the frame that goes around the shock just inches from it.)... sure enough one of the wires breaks in two with the light pressure of me moving it. It connected 5 ground wires together total. Long story short, reconnected the grounds. all lights work correctly, brake, turn, and I have my backup lights back. i have power to at least a couple of the marker lights, but the side markers and three on the tailgate arent working, but I believe that to be its own issue ( since I do have power to some of them) I WILL LOOK AT WHEN ITS NOT 20 DEGREES lol. I will try to attach some pics of same. If you have this problem and decide to do this , take the spare tire down...much much easier to manage 'that way. I bought zip ties with the little tree looking connectors ends to attach the harness back to the frame from AUTOZONE.

You can see the stripped end of the wires.

within a couple of inches of the hard plastic formed wire loom
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (12-08-2018)