2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

BEWARE potential fire hazard !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEWARE potential fire hazard !!!!

Beware everybody of a potential fire hazard I've found.
I've been painting my front fenders, truck is inside my shop for past 2 days.
Nothing has been "disturbed" mechanically for past month.

All of a sudden I have smoke coming out from under the hood. Opened up and saw a small fire coming from left side in front of engine mount.
Put it out with extinguisher (check yours, 1 of mine was dead !!!) and found out the large + positive cable from left battery to starter is anchored to oil pan by a metal strap, right in front of engine mount and above frame crossmember.
I assume with time (since 2001), vibrations (after 253,000 miles) rubbed cable on metal housing and shortened it, causing a fire.

Now my luck is it happened all of a sudden while I was there, it could have happened at night while asleep and burned the whole place down

I fixed the cable and installed a different strap, with plastic insert, to avoid future fires.

Please check your cables and be sure there is no rubbing or tearing.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:14 AM

thanks for the info...i got some free time today and may just look at that. a metal strap on a electrical cable that has the potential to move and rub isnt the best engineering idea.

again thanks

NCA
Old 06-10-2007, 10:17 AM

Great information - I'll be checking mine out today as well. Do you have a photo of this strap to give just a bit more detial on what to look for? Although it should not be too hard to find.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:48 AM

I tossed mine since I did cut it to remove it quickly.

It is VERY obvious when you look at it, it's the only one there, approx 1" wide wrapped around + cable..

As I said my truck as many miles, thus many vibrations, a quick 5 minute inspection will save a lot of troubles.

I said a big THANK YOU to the guy up there, the chances it happened on the road or while away are huge compared to when I am around truck.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We use Adel-type clamps to mount wires, hoses, tubing, etc. - reduces NVH very well, protecting against Murphy's Law.

Just look for aluminum or SS clamps with rubber inserts!
Old 06-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
This is some good info... may need a sticky...
Old 06-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Valv
Beware everybody of a potential fire hazard I've found.
I've been painting my front fenders, truck is inside my shop for past 2 days.
Nothing has been "disturbed" mechanically for past month.

All of a sudden I have smoke coming out from under the hood. Opened up and saw a small fire coming from left side in front of engine mount.
Put it out with extinguisher (check yours, 1 of mine was dead !!!) and found out the large + positive cable from left battery to starter is anchored to oil pan by a metal strap, right in front of engine mount and above frame crossmember.
Thanks valv for the info. Glad you caught it. I'll check mine tomorrow. Amazing stuff - it isn't rocket science. I can't believe they still use metal clamps on the hot cables. I had this problem on my '67 GTO - no fire, but when I shut the door at my friends house, the motor started to turn over while we were talking and I was holding the keys in my hand. But the worst was my year old WheelHorse tractor. The hot cable from the battery ran between a metal frame and contacted the plastic gas tank. The frame shorted the cable and the cable had rubbed a pinhole leak in the gas tank. My brother-in-law was mowing my lawn when the tractor exploded. Luckily he jumped clear and was uninjured - fire department put the tractor out.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Banned

another thanks

im glad to see you caugth it in time too. i have been smelling random plastic burning every once in a while. i offroad my truck alot. im checing it currently. wonder if that the culprit!
Old 06-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks.....better check mine..