2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Bedline entire truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did the bottom part of my truck where that black molding is, underneath it i went all around and did that inch or so above the wheel wells. winter is coming and i had a spot that was starting to get a little too rusty for comfort, i think it looks alright maybe i will post a pic later.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:21 AM

The fellow DTR member your referring to is LanceD.

Here is the link to his post on speedlining his truck.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=95736

Jeff
Old 08-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Chapter President

One of the guys from our Tennessee forums has his truck done that way. It's a first gen. Looks durable as heck, no need for touch up paint and so on and it looks good. His is black. I bet he has pictures of it. Micaiahfied is his screen name and he has some posts in our tn thread, check out his gallery.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by ~Angry Tractor~
I remember that truck and was hoping he would chime in. I can't remember his call sign but I do rememeber he was stationed in Guam. I'd like to get a closer view of his truck. I have looked at his pics before and it looked good but the puics were from a distance.

If I do this I will do it myself and use Durabak liner. Its about $70 a gallon and I can't imagine needing much more then 3 gallons.

The main reason for doing it is because of the great primer Dodge used. Yep...I got peeling paint and in this economy there is no way I can spring for a proper paint job. I guess I could get a $200 Maaco but it probably wouldn't look any better then the bedliner and the bedliner might last longer.
You may want to get in touch with Infidel. IIRC, any dodge that has peeling paint is covered under some lawsuit or something that happened way back when. Pretty sure he's had all of his vehicles repainted once under that process.

Only stipulation I remember is that it needs to be the factory original paint.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
You may want to get in touch with Infidel. IIRC, any dodge that has peeling paint is covered under some lawsuit or something that happened way back when. Pretty sure he's had all of his vehicles repainted once under that process.

Only stipulation I remember is that it needs to be the factory original paint.
I am the 3rd owner and not sure if this is the factory paint. I also think there is a 10 year time limit. Even if Dodge agreed to pay half,which seemed to be the case with other disputes, it would still be a struggle to come up with the difference.

I have read alot of Infidels posts about peeling paint and I think his case was a little different. I think his location played a big role in his success.

I had a gander at Lance's truck pics and I think it looks pretty good. I don't how Durabak compares so I am looking into the Speedliner dealer package that Lance pursued. The durabak looks a little different and I think Speedliner may be a better product. I am awaiting a sample from Durabak to see what it is like up close.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:40 AM

Speedliner is Made by Industrial Polymers. They make a good product for what it is.It is still not as good as a polyurea but it is UV stable and it is a good quality urethane.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:57 PM

Well...I suppose it would be unique. I'm not sure what else it would be.

At least you aren't thinking about this...
Attached Thumbnails Bedline entire truck-grass-covered-car_01.jpg  
Old 08-18-2008, 08:40 AM

here's my 87 GMC i lined myself. the liner is made by SEM and you can mix any color with it. got it from o'rielly auto parts. it took 2 kits which comes with a gallon of liner, the catalyst to mix with it, a mixing cup, and two spray bottles to hook to the gun. you also have to buy the gun seperate, which is 90 dollars. each kit is 190, so i had about 500 dollars and a lot of time in it. well worth it if thats what you want to do. i used metallic silver, but the texture made it look like primer from a distance. it turned out awesome though.
Attached Thumbnails Bedline entire truck-img_0123.jpg  
Old 08-18-2008, 01:08 PM

I have a boat trailer that was in a fire and am thinking of rolling on/ spraying one of the DIY bedliners for it. Anyone done that? Going to wire brush the rust and apply.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:10 PM

you can just about paint any surface with that stuff. i dont particularly like the hurculiner/duplicolor stuff. although it is quite a bit cheaper it isn't near as durable and doesn't look as good. looks kinda like sand paper where as the SEM actually looks like rhino or line-x. it will go on just about anything if it is prepped right.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:58 PM

I had it done to one of trucks not in my sig. Its a single cab 2nd Gen gasser. It had been retired to the ranch as a Hunting vehicle when I got my new truck. I too did it because of the peeling paint issue because I never wanted to deal with rust. Just as many people have said, aside from the actual quality of the spray, MOST of the quality of the job is in the prep work. Not only does it have to be taped well, the surface has to be preped. You can tell on mine where there were areas of the body "overlooked" and not properly grinded down for the material to adhere, thus peeling within months. But, like I said, mine is a ranch truck so it sees very rough conditions. But, I must say that its a tank and as close to indestructable as you can get.

My biggest complaint, although the look doesn't matter as much to me as it may to you, is that if you leave any kind of mud residue on there for any period of time, it will stain. So if it gets dirty, I recommend you wash it ASAP.

I should be out at the ranch this weekend. I will snap a few pics if I can.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:59 PM

I did a old Blazer I had for trail running with the roll on bedliner. It looked fine but would never come clean, the mud really stained it. It was easy to patch up new dent's though
Old 08-19-2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by RAFTEN
I have a boat trailer that was in a fire and am thinking of rolling on/ spraying one of the DIY bedliners for it. Anyone done that? Going to wire brush the rust and apply.
How hot of a fire was it in? Any idea of the duration that the metal was in contact with the fire?

You're right in thinking that the bedliner material would protect and preserve the steel from rusting extensively. However I would be concerned about fatigue and stress risers in the steel itself after being subjected to extreme heat. If you're planning upon using it with a boat again and need the structure to be sound, I would seriously consider testing it out before attempting any hauling with the unit. Good luck - sorry about the fire!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 96_12V
Well...I suppose it would be unique. I'm not sure what else it would be.

At least you aren't thinking about this...
SWEET!!!!!!! Unless ofcourse you taught your dog to ---- on the lawn.