2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Battery Cable Abrasion-Possible short?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Cable Abrasion-Possible short?

While doing routine maintenance under the hood, I noticed that the drivers side battery positve cable plastic housing had worn through at the little bracket in the middle of the Battery(holds cable away from battery) and where the cable meets the end of the battery before the turn to the other battery. I used cloth electrical tape to shore up those places. It the insulation wore through, the results could be truck fire/loss. Lots of amp in those batteries, for sure.
I also noticed that the little braket at mid battery had been bent down, proably when I did my gauge or big line installation, laying on top of the motor to do whatever. Sound familar?
At any rate that little bracket was bent & contributed to the abrasion.
Just an FYI!
Old 11-02-2010, 06:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
This is important stuff that most people never even think about. I got a bunch of different sized wire loom and went over all the cables and hoses I could find, covering up those that needed it. I also had a cable rubbing against my lower radiator hose, so I got some big diameter spiral wrap to put around that one. If it had rubbed through it would have been nothing compared to a worn through battery cable though!
Old 11-03-2010, 05:51 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
That's a good point.

I always do a visual check anytime the hood is up or I am under my truck for any rubbing wires/hoses.

A easy quick fix is to take an old heater hose of a larger diameter and cut a spiral cut along the needed length for a sleeve. When you wrap it on it gains its shape back and won't purse open as if you straight cut it. A zip tie or two will usually secure it.