2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

airbag deployed on truck Im probably buying need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airbag deployed on truck Im probably buying need help

Okay so I'm looking at this 95 & the price is awesome. it is a 4x4 club cab long bed dually as a fifth wheel only has 165000 miles and has less than 10 on what he's calling the bulletproof transmission he paid 5500 for the guy tried to get 7500 out of him it has a 5th wheel renegade bumper no leaks no blow by 4 wheel drive works & besides the interior needing a cleaning and a rip in the seat it looks pretty good. Well he sent some pictures while I was taking a nap inside one thing I forgot about is the airbag deployed while I was sitting in the driveway one day.
He was asleep by the time I got up so I didn't get to ask him if he was working on it or what? If he wasn't working on it any ideas what could have caused this? I've been in 3 nasty wrecked where air bags have never deployed. Is there a way that I can safely remove the airbag and drive it? This guy seems pretty stand up and be honest. He has told me everything he can think of on the truck.He didn't have it listed on Craigslist or anything like that. The reason I have selling it is because he had bought it from an older farmer who was a short fella around 5 foot supposed to be an old man and he would grab the seat and a steering wheel to get into the truck.I've talk to him everyday for a week and doesn't seem as if he has anything to hide he's about a three hour drive away and he's more than happy to take pictures or videos of anything I want to see work or operate. Any ideas or thoughts you guys may have I would appreciate it thank you
Old 02-07-2016, 11:35 PM

Name:  0207161641.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  227.3 KB
Name:  0207161641b.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  94.3 KB
Old 02-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I'm trying to decipher what you are asking.

Yes, you can remove the airbag to drive it, but did the old airbag deploy on you or him?

The airbag was replaced by whom?
Old 02-08-2016, 09:28 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx
Okay so I'm looking at this 95 & the price is awesome. it is a 4x4 club cab long bed dually as a fifth wheel only has 165000 miles and has less than 10 on what he's calling the bulletproof transmission he paid 5500 for the guy tried to get 7500 out of him it has a 5th wheel renegade bumper no leaks no blow by 4 wheel drive works & besides the interior needing a cleaning and a rip in the seat it looks pretty good. Well he sent some pictures while I was taking a nap inside one thing I forgot about is the airbag deployed while I was sitting in the driveway one day.
He was asleep by the time I got up so I didn't get to ask him if he was working on it or what? If he wasn't working on it any ideas what could have caused this? I've been in 3 nasty wrecked where air bags have never deployed. Is there a way that I can safely remove the airbag and drive it? This guy seems pretty stand up and be honest. He has told me everything he can think of on the truck.He didn't have it listed on Craigslist or anything like that. The reason I have selling it is because he had bought it from an older farmer who was a short fella around 5 foot supposed to be an old man and he would grab the seat and a steering wheel to get into the truck.I've talk to him everyday for a week and doesn't seem as if he has anything to hide he's about a three hour drive away and he's more than happy to take pictures or videos of anything I want to see work or operate. Any ideas or thoughts you guys may have I would appreciate it thank you
a sharp knife will remove it until you can afford to get it replaced
Old 02-14-2016, 03:02 AM

A faulty ACM could cause the airbag to deploy or a short in the wiring leading to the bag itself, if you decide to replace it replace the ACM also, like the airbag they control, only good for one use. And the computer and airbag aren't cheap. Just FYI
Old 02-14-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Run.....
Old 02-14-2016, 10:37 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Run.....
I Gotta agree on this X10 - RUN

Mike
Old 02-14-2016, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mike L
I Gotta agree on this X10 - RUN

Mike
Why run?It only has 160k with recipets on a new built transmission good paint no rust or rot just a bad airbag...for 6500 I dont think its a bad deal &Ill have more than enough cash to put into it.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I apologize. Clearly you are set on acquiring this truck. There is no denying that several aspects of it look good to awesome. I allowed my personal thoughts and preferences (and a few shots of vodka) to supersede your thoughts and questions. I based my simple comment on the fact that I would not consider purchasing a truck that looked that rough on the inside as to me it is a reflection of the owners general care and attitude toward the overall vehicle. You have spoken with the owner and I have not. I simply believe that every picture tells a story. Regardless of my personal thoughts and preferences I only wish you well with this purchase and I truly hope that it works out for ya.

Cheers!

Mike
Old 02-15-2016, 08:18 PM

I smell electrical issues and other "gremlins".

My wisdom says "run", my remembering how I was when I was younger says "what the hell, get it!"

Just erring on the side of caution, they made a million of those......

Welcome to the site, by the way cutthroatxxx!
Old 02-15-2016, 09:28 PM

I smell electrical issues and other "gremlins".

My wisdom says "run", my remembering how I was when I was younger says "what the hell, get it!"

Just erring on the side of caution, they made a million of those......

Welcome to the site, by the way cutthroatxxx!
thank you and electrical issues is what I am also worried about. sorry I might come off as childish but I'm probably older than most of the guys that have replied here. I'm semi retired from doing metal work / auto body and now I focus on building motorcycles. been doing this stuff for about 27 years
Old 02-15-2016, 09:43 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The fact is that the supply of perfect 12 valve trucks is disappearing quick. The simple matter of it not being a rust bucket, and not having a half-million miles on it make it fairly attractive. Sure, I'm concerned about the airbag deployment and the condition of the interior, but it's probably a better catch than most other 1995 trucks available right now.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:37 PM

Yeah, a 165K 12 valver is nice to find.

There is an inertia trigger under the center seat for the air bag IIRC. Airbags don't just employ, it got powered up somehow...
Old 02-15-2016, 10:49 PM

Yeah, a 165K 12 valver is nice to find.

There is an inertia trigger under the center seat for the air bag IIRC. Airbags don't just employ, it got powered up somehow...
the dually might be out of the question the more I think about it the less I want to spend on extra tires and it's not lifted so I plan to lift It
I don't really go four wheeling but I do own a huge amount of property that has trails which I like to go down and get my firewood from and where I live is all back country roads on each side has a ditch and with my lifted truck I've been through those diTches like its nothing but when I was in a stock height truck I got stuck more than once. Plus this guy Ahh don't matter... I actually found a 12 valve with 100 + 132000 miles, but its an automatic and it's the original one I don't want to pay the money that they're asking for it have to go around and get the transmission built because I'd rather have something with a fairly new transmission like I said again A manuel instead of driving the truck till the transmission goes out on me and end up having do not have the money at the time when it happens for a new transmission. I'm also looking at 24 valves but I cannot find one that is worth the money. I could deal with an automatic In 1 as my logic is seems I already have a 24 valve long bed 4 wheel drive with an automatic if I got the same thing and something went bad on the other and I preferred one over the other I could swap it out. I haven't looked into how hard it would be to go from hydraulic to electric Cummins 12 valve off a 24 valve but I imagine it wouldn't be easy or cheap. again there's a trunk that I'm basically beating the dudes door down To get but Saturday when I was supposed to go but he said the fuel pump went out he went and bought a factory fuel pump ram it into the airdog for some reason and did it rain for 10 minutes and there was no fuel coming out of the air separator he said I was going to run a hose to a jug of fuel today said the same thing yesterday and if that didn't work I was going to call the shop to get it in there this morning but I've been calling him all day text every hour or every two hours and no reply so I'm starting to believe he really doesn't want to sell the thing that's why I'm talking so much sorry this is driving me aPe ****
.As he basically has my dream truck
Old 02-16-2016, 12:36 PM

The squeeky wheel gets the grease...keep after the one you want, I looked at at least a dozen before I found mine....

Quick Reply: airbag deployed on truck Im probably buying need help