2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Air conditioning drain?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air conditioning drain?????

Mine is bringing moisture into the cab somehow. Its under/on the rug passenger side.
My condenser never shows water under it when I park. Is that normal???

Thanks

Jimmy
Old 06-13-2006, 01:24 PM

The drain is plugged up. I took my into the dealer and they ran a larger hose and resealed everything for the cost of the hose, about six dollars. They said it was common and knew what was wrong right away.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's probably not that it is plugged, but that the seal around the drain has deteriorated and is running back into the cab. Look at the nipple that drains the evaporator on the firewall. Get a piece of 3/4" heater hose and clamp it to that nipple and run it to the frame. Problem solved.
The following users liked this post:
leeboy (06-26-2021)
Old 06-15-2006, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by I PASS GAS
It's probably not that it is plugged, but that the seal around the drain has deteriorated and is running back into the cab. Look at the nipple that drains the evaporator on the firewall. Get a piece of 3/4" heater hose and clamp it to that nipple and run it to the frame. Problem solved.
I had the same problem, but the hose was missing.. easy fix, I took the boot off of an old spark plug wire (90degree type) stuck it over the drain and havent had a problem in 5yrs./
Old 06-15-2006, 10:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I had this problem a couple of weeks ago. Every right curve and it puked all over the floorboard. When I got to my destination I found that the hose had fallen off, but that wasn't the real problem. I stuck my pocket screwdriver in the hole and it was like Niagra Falls for a minute or so.
The hole is directly under/behind the filter dryer, and you can't really get in a position to see it. I just felt for it. If your hose is missing it's even harder to see, like mine.

View from the bottom, looking up at the dryer.

Chris
Old 07-02-2006, 05:43 PM

Thanks everyone- got 'er done today.

No hose on the drain nib was the problem.

Now I have a nice water spot on the pavement when I stop, and dry carpet. Don't dare to look at the insulation on the outside firewall though. I bet its putrid...

JIMMY
Old 07-02-2006, 09:55 PM

I had the same problem with my 99. I dont think they even came with a hose on the drain. Easy fix though.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:41 PM

Same thing here.. There is no OEM hose on that stubby drain nipple..
A generic curved piece of vinyl plastic tubing about 6" long kept the water from wicking back through the firewall hole and under the carpet... Problem solved...
Carpet padding was NASTY though...

K.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stamey
I had this problem a couple of weeks ago. Every right curve and it puked all over the floorboard. When I got to my destination I found that the hose had fallen off, but that wasn't the real problem. I stuck my pocket screwdriver in the hole and it was like Niagra Falls for a minute or so.
The hole is directly under/behind the filter dryer, and you can't really get in a position to see it. I just felt for it. If your hose is missing it's even harder to see, like mine.

View from the bottom, looking up at the dryer.

Chris
That is an awesome pic!

it clarifies alot, I just fixed mine a while back..... You will need a 5/8 hose and a small hose clamp and for the life of you make sure that the truck is cold when u do that, I DIDNT, so yeah.... I noticed it cause i fixed the third brake light issue some time back and i still had water in my cab, i found this leak by accident actually, while i was at work, i smelled somethin foul, like stagnant water, down by the condensor, Low and behold, the insulation was all messed up and fallin apart, it is gross, and when i pulled at it, i see the little drain plug, MIND u its a bear to get to, i have 36" sleeves, and i had some tough time gettin thru to it, and mind u when i fixed it my manifold was still hot, so i got all cinched and burnt on my arms. I would suggest that you knock off some insulation to get thru to it one evenin, then in the morning go ahead and get to it from the bottom by the right hand side tire, or thru the top. Wear a face shield cause alot of mess falls down.

I have not had any leaks as of yet, But i used 2 foot of hose, a small hose clamp, and zip ties, and i routed this thing close to the oil pan, so i do get asked alot if my truck leaks oil

Rick
Old 07-20-2006, 10:10 AM

Anyone have a copy of the pic? Not showing up on my screen (unless work blocked it)...