2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

47RH torque converter swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
47RH torque converter swap

I need to get my Goerend converter in before my core return period, plus I plan to tow on memorial weekend.
So.. I have never touched a automatic other than oil changes. I think its strait forward but can use advice!

1. remove front and rear driveline
2. remove cross member with the aid of a jack between frame
3. Remove starter and all bolts to the block?
4. Remove Dipstick, electrical and the gear lever
5. Add in what I forgot here
6. Just strap the entire tranny and t case to jack and pull it off and leave the converter stuck to the flywheel?
* do i want to change the front pump seal?
* I seat the new converter to the pump and make sure i here two spline seating drops?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of suggestions. The cross member, you don't need a jack. After removing bolts and mount hit it straight up then back, the legs are tapered, mine came right out. You can cause damage by not taking the TC out with the transmission. In fact I think I read that after moving the trans back a few inches take a wire and go from side to side to secure the TC to the trans. Yes make sure the TC is seated in the trans, my after market TC was deeped than the stock one so while installing it I keep turning it by hand to make sure it was free of the flex plate. If you are not using a trans jack get one, life will be better.

Floyd
Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 AM

good to know about not leaveing the old converter stuck to the plate! I have a adapter that fits on my floor jack that a friend used when we swapped in a 6 speed on his truck.... as I remember it wasnt the most robust item iv ever used, I will check harbor freight tonight.
How does one turn over a 6bt by hand? Just asking as they have so much compression they squeek the belt on shutdown
Old 05-16-2012, 11:25 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by joem
good to know about not leaveing the old converter stuck to the plate! I have a adapter that fits on my floor jack that a friend used when we swapped in a 6 speed on his truck.... as I remember it wasnt the most robust item iv ever used, I will check harbor freight tonight.
How does one turn over a 6bt by hand? Just asking as they have so much compression they squeek the belt on shutdown
use a large flat blade screwdriver through the bottem inspection plate hole, and pry the flywheel teeth to rotate the engine
Old 05-16-2012, 11:26 AM

Answers below in red. Even with the half dozen I've done it still takes me about 6-8 hours with brakes and cursing fits.

Originally Posted by joem
I need to get my Goerend converter in before my core return period, plus I plan to tow on memorial weekend.
So.. I have never touched a automatic other than oil changes. I think its strait forward but can use advice!

1. remove front and rear driveline
Good. The front driveshaft is easiest to get to from the top. I use a 1 foot extention and an impact.
2. remove cross member with the aid of a jack between frame
This is what I do. Bottle jack and a piece of 4x4
3. Remove starter and all bolts to the block?
You don't need to remove the starter
4. Remove Dipstick, electrical and the gear lever
Good. Make sure you have every wire and vac line disconnected. There are a few brackets that will have to be loosened up and moved around.
5. Add in what I forgot here
If you don't have a good compressor, impact and sockets, get some. Block the front of the motor. These aren't like gassers where they tip backwards. The motor will actually tilt about 1/2" forward and make it a PITA to get the motor/trans lined back up. I use blue loctight on the convertor bolts
6. Just strap the entire tranny and t case to jack and pull it off and leave the converter stuck to the flywheel?
Get or barrow a trans jack. It will make life easier and the whole project will be that much safer. I've seen to many people try to use a floor jack and bad things happen. You'll have to unbolt the conv from the flex plate. There is an access plate held on by 2 10mm bolts on the front of the trans adapter plate. There are 6 bolts holding the conv to the FP. Use a 15mm shallow socket on the dampner bolts to turn the motor over. Make sure the socket is on the lowest bolt or you'll brake them off. Then stick your finger in the hole and wait for a bolt to come around. Make sure you dont get your finger pinched.
* do i want to change the front pump seal?
Shouldn't have to. You could replace the rear main on the motor.
* I seat the new converter to the pump and make sure i here two spline seating drops?
Correct. Make sure the new conv is fully seated or else the trans wont get tight enough.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:22 PM

thanks for the advice everyone! I actually have a amazing shop & Rotery lift as I fully intended to be a mechanic until I started makeing better money in my what was intended to be a temp job in I.T.- makes my place pretty popular with friends and mechanicly retarted coworkers.
I have done a few heavy trans such as my friend who pulled out his NV4500 and put a 6 speed into his 2001 ISB, talk about a PITA.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:44 PM

got the drive lines pulled, skid plates off and most of the cross member bolts pulled-- I can see that this will be alot of work. Where is the best place to remove the trans cooler lines? I have lots of dirt and greese to be carefull of. Do I have to remove all of the transfer case linkage or is there a majic remove one part and let the rest hang?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:57 AM

If a Mod can move this thread over to the 12v drivetrain that is where I indended to start this thread, thats what I get for posting after midnight
Anyway's Check out this bent cross member! I had to use a pipe wrench and a 4' cheater to bend it back enough to get to the bolts as it was fully peeled back over itself.... wonder if this is the creek and pop I here when in parking lots?

Name:  WP_000040.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  40.6 KB
Old 05-23-2012, 07:34 PM

What in the world did you hit? As for the trans lines, I talk them of at the trans. Make sure you have a wrench on both nuts so you're not turning the one in the trans. If you have a lot of grease zip tie a rag over the line. Once the lines are disconnected from the trans they should move enought so you dont have to disconnect them from the cooler on the motor.

You'll have to disconect the kickdown cable and gear selector. They should both pop off. There should be a rod that sticks out that everything pivots on. I remove the 3 10mm bolts in the wheel well (outside of the frame) and slide the rod outwards. There might be an E clip that you have to remove also, I can't remember off the top of my head.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:41 PM

Yup I have that bent cross member and the drivers side of the truck sits a inch lower than the passanger side... the previous owner said that the previous owner was wasted, blew a turn and landed in a river, drove up the river (in late august) in shallow water to a boat ramp and got out- then drove home. This explains the bent cross member, and wasted tie rod ends, and front berrings, borken dana 70 axle, bondo under crappy paint and the cheap $2k price of the truck
Old 05-30-2012, 12:47 AM

you mentioned skid plates. Did you have them made? or find them somewhere?
Old 05-30-2012, 11:19 AM

Oh, I was just refering to the tiny thing that covers the T case
Old 06-01-2012, 11:00 PM

been working on the trans for a hour or so after work each day, the worst is all the linkage and junk on the drivers side! SO here is the old Torque converter, does it look stock? I also only found 4 quarts in the pan and only 3 in this converter- where is the rest of the oil hidden at?

Name:  WP_000058.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  95.1 KB
Old 06-02-2012, 07:48 AM

No, It doesn't look like my stock converter. My was a dull metallic silver and the tabs that the bolts threaded into were welded on.

Floyd
Old 06-04-2012, 12:23 AM

had a good 3 hours of spare time to button it back up today. got all but the &^^%$# cross member done, sillicon spray on all the vacuume lines and greese on all the linkages to make things happy The cross memeber though, wow even with a bottle jack and 4x4 its not even close, im putting it in from the back of the truck, as the taper allows but the cross member is still a good 1" wider than the frame Im wondering if its sprung from that tear as seen in the above pict

Quick Reply: 47RH torque converter swap