Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   2nd gen reg cab too tight? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/2nd-gen-reg-cab-too-tight-162071/)

automeister3 07-28-2007 03:50 PM

2nd gen reg cab too tight?

I currently have a 1st gen reg cab and im considering stepping up to a 2nd gen reg cab. Question is can I (6'3" 275 lb) be comfortable in a 2nd gen reg cab. The first gen is quite cramped. Any help would be appreciated.

vzdude 07-28-2007 03:56 PM

I'm 6' and 280lbs and I wouldn't even consider a reg cab ever again! After sitting in an extended cab and letting the seat all the way back, then recline it a little........never again will there be a standard cab again! I also looked at the resale value of and extended vs. regualr cab and knew that was the route to take. I don't think there is much difference from the 2nd to 1st gen in cab dimensions, so if you fit in a 1st gen you should be fine. Don't try sitting in an extended cab if you are dead set on a standard! You'll fall in love!

cheese4420 07-28-2007 04:09 PM

If you can find an extended cab, it's the only way to go. I'm 6' 270 and a standard cab isn't even on the list of options.

TallTom 07-28-2007 04:12 PM

cab room

I have a 98.5 extended cab 2 door. I am 6 ft 8 and it fits me pretty well. Like vzdude says just recline the seat a notch or two and be comfortable.

TallTom

Tate 07-28-2007 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by vzdude (Post 1620832)
Don't try sitting in an extended cab if you are dead set on a standard! You'll fall in love!

I've had my quad cab for 2 years, and I'd still take a reg cab. There's plenty of room in a reg cab for height. I'm 6', 6'3 would still be a comfortable fit in a reg cab.

Red3quarter 07-28-2007 04:27 PM

I'm 6' 200lbs and I fit fine in my truck. Dad is 6'5" 270 lbs and he fits in just fine too! I have friends taller and bigger than me and they have no issuses being in a regular cab. In my opinion, i think the regualr cabs ave plenty of room for two people but if you have a family then I wouldn't buy one. I also think a regular cab long bed looks pretty sharp.

Box5 07-28-2007 06:28 PM

im 6', and have more than enough room in my reg cab. With the seat moved all the way back I couldn't drive like that, it's way to far away from the steering wheel and pedals, and theres still storage racks in the back. If it's just gonna be used for 2 people, no need for any more room.... In all honesty, i've had both extended cab and reg cab fullsize trucks, and i don't think the extended cab seat would go back any farther than the reg cab, except recline (since they can recline flat almost, but I don't sleep in my truck so thats useless, lol...

Danderson 07-28-2007 07:32 PM

I'm 6'4" and I had plenty of legroom and headroom in my '99. The seats were more comfortable than my new one too. Don't miss the marginal brakes,steering and engine rattle though. 2nd gens are one fine looking truck.

bentwings 07-28-2007 10:38 PM

You need a quad cab plain and simple. By the time you put a tool box with the necessary tools to do a VP-44 at road side and change fuel filters and starter contacts pluss a couple fuel filters and spare Lift pump you will have used up one full side of the rear seat.

Add the jumper cables, recovery strap, a couple heavy tiedowns, a big tire cross iron, sun shade, wash bucket and supplies. Also a small bucket for the Power service and 911 and wax material.

Pretty well uses up the back seat.

LOGAN 07-29-2007 01:20 AM

im 6'4 and 350 lbs, i fit fine in all 3 generations of regular cab just fine, i would prefer a tilt column in my first gen though, my belly almost rubs the steering wheel. if you can get a extended cab though, they are alot better.

Bluedeviltorque 07-29-2007 02:21 AM

Go long!!!

At 6'-4" I could never go back to a regular cab. The regular cab was fine, but then I got a extended cab and now a quad cab. There is just no compaison, I think you'll be very happy if you make the change to an extened or quad cab.
Side note: My ex-girlfriend who is 6'-0" tall used to drive a regular cab S10 with a standard trans. She upped to a Colorado extended cab with the standard. She now says she doesn't know how she could ever drive the old standard cab.

Spoiled by the reclining/sliding room, [coffee]

Mike

automeister3 07-29-2007 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by bentwings (Post 1621253)
You need a quad cab plain and simple. By the time you put a tool box with the necessary tools to do a VP-44 at road side and change fuel filters and starter contacts pluss a couple fuel filters and spare Lift pump you will have used up one full side of the rear seat.

Add the jumper cables, recovery strap, a couple heavy tiedowns, a big tire cross iron, sun shade, wash bucket and supplies. Also a small bucket for the Power service and 911 and wax material.

I said I would move up to a 2nd gen but a 24 valve nooooo way[nonono]. Im buying property and to be honest 4 hours in my first gen just isn't comfortable. So its time im looking on e-bay and auto-trader and of course here. Is there any where else to look? The problem is im looking for 12 valve 5spd even more preferable would be a 98.

300sd2500 07-29-2007 09:07 AM

Ebay, autotrader, cars.com, craigslist, autoxtra.
These are the ones I searched when I found my 97 extended cab 4x4 5spd.
Autotrader was the winner.

Tate 07-29-2007 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by bentwings (Post 1621253)

Seems to me that the 8' bed would hold these items adequately.

kas83 07-29-2007 09:30 PM

I'm 6'10" tall, and own one of each in a 2nd gen. The regular cab is fine for me. My uncle is 6'6", he owns a 98 and fits fine in that one too.

I found my 97 here on the forum, and am interested in a 98.5 listed here also to get rid of my 01. Good people that actually know what's going on. I've seen too many on Ebay that just don't have a clue.