Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   1996 headlight switch - hardwire lights (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/1996-headlight-switch-hardwire-lights-329858/)

jj3500 02-21-2018 09:40 PM

1996 headlight switch - hardwire lights

1996 dodge 2500.
so I burned through the original, to me, headlight switch. I'd pull it all the way out for headlights and they no longer worked, went to ebay, got a replacement, only lasted 5 months.

So....my question is.
can I just probe that small bundle of wire for the 12V when the knob is pulled all the way out and then hardwire 12V to it, via a wire tap? basically removing the knob function.

has anyone tried this yet?

from what I can recall, there were only ~6 wires on the headlight assembly harness. one of those has to be 12V switched when pulling that know all the way out.

texasprd 02-22-2018 10:35 AM

I had to replace my headlight switch a number of years ago. I got a Borg Warner/BWD switch from the big-chain parts store. It included the connector/pigtail for the headlight switch - I replaced the OE connector with the replacement version as the OE was deformed from excessive heat due to the failed OE switch. It's worked perfectly for me. I highly recommend replacing the switch and connector/pigtail instead of trying a wire-tap method that may not handle the current and is likely to introduce corrosion into the wiring harness. If you go this route, you will want to use a good ratcheting crimper and heat-shrink connectors.

patdaly 02-22-2018 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by jj3500 (Post 3344497)
1996 dodge 2500.
so I burned through the original, to me, headlight switch. I'd pull it all the way out for headlights and they no longer worked, went to ebay, got a replacement, only lasted 5 months.

So....my question is.
can I just probe that small bundle of wire for the 12V when the knob is pulled all the way out and then hardwire 12V to it, via a wire tap? basically removing the knob function.

has anyone tried this yet?

from what I can recall, there were only ~6 wires on the headlight assembly harness. one of those has to be 12V switched when pulling that know all the way out.

They sell just the replacement connector, 20 ish bucks at Rock.

1996 DODGE RAM 2500 PICKUP 5.9L L6 DIESEL Turbocharged Headlamp Switch Connector | RockAuto

AlpineRAM 02-22-2018 10:53 AM

I would suggest that you install relays to power the lights.

There are a lot of threads about it, cliff notes:

You will have power at the bulb (easily adding 50-70% light output)
You can go for 80/100W bulbs (another significant increase in light output)
Your light switch will live a long and happy life.

texasprd 02-22-2018 05:54 PM

It's definitely worth doing the relays to take the load off the headlight switch, which is well known as a weak link. The OE switch that was in the truck when I bought it in 2007 actually had loose terminals - as in some of the external terminals that the connector mated with were loose on the switch body.

Plus, you can consider doing the upgrade to sport headlights as relays are needed for that