2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

1995 Wheel Bearing R&R Job ??s

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Wheel Bearing R&R Job ??s

After reading as many axle and wheel bearing, ball joint R&R threads as I could find I jacked up the Driver's Side axle and sure enough, the wheel wiggles and can hear clicking and a metal grating when spin the wheel.

Ordered the replacement hub assy today and it comes in Friday.
Reviewed the 3rd Gen Ball Joint Replacement Wiki here and it looks like all the directions will work for my application.

Looks to me like I don't need to pull the axle once the hub is removed?
Gonna use the Power Steering Pump to push the hub assembly off, unless it happens to be loose enough to pull off. Seems doubtful. So.... Will probably remove the hub tomorrow so I can take to parts house just to be sure.

Am I on the right track here?
-Remove Wheel,
-Remove brake caliper,
-pull old hub or move off w/PS pump
-Install new hub, tapping on carefully to seat fully?

I have a 8" x 8" piece of 3/4" thick Aluminum sheet to shield the hub from the hammer blows, figure to use 3lb handsledge or blacksmiths hammer against the alum stock....

Nothing in my Haynes manual on this. Really appreciate the great writeup and pix by Mr. Gadget.

Am I on the right track to a trouble-free job or am I missing something?
(Besides having only up to a 1-5/8" 3/4" drive socket to get the **** wheel nut off with....)
Old 10-28-2010, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
leave the large nut on the axle to hold the wheel hub unit together. Take out the 4 12point bolts on the back of the knuckle. Put one back in halfway and use it to press with the steering like you said. May need to hammer a little on the back side of the hub to get it out, dont crush the heads on those bolts.
the axle stub comes out with it, so jack that side a little high and keep the fluid inside. be careful putting it back in.. every time I do this !@#$ job I gotta open the CAD up and put everything back properly. =(
Old 10-28-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Leave the tires on the ground to break the big nut loose but leave it tight if you're going to press the bearing off with the PS.
Otherwise you seem to be on the right track.

You may have read this already> https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...6&postcount=10
Old 10-28-2010, 11:13 AM

Thanks Kawi600 and Infidel,

Was hoping to avoid having to pull the axle stub since I've never done so before. If the stub is splined and slides into the differential housing I should be okay. Do I need a seal kit or anything for the axle? Wheel bolts are in good shape so will reuse them unless that is not smart.

Hadn't thought of using the PS to slacken the axle nut, Thanks! I will remove the nut, brush the threads and treat with anti-seize and then thread it back to snug, not tight; then proceed with removing the hub etc.

Sure appreciate your help!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
No need to pull the axle stub but you should support it with rags stuffed underneath so it doesn't sag and distort the seal.
Also jack the side you are working on high so that fluid flows to the opposite side so none can get past the seal.
You won't need any seals.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:29 PM

Thanks VERY MUCH for all the search threads and responses here.
Job is done and all seems very fine.

Best regards to Kawi600 and Infidel for all your help!