2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

$100 Reward

Old 04-23-2005, 08:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're making me think real hard here. A little history first. KH RWAL syst 2nd gen. On the 94, 95 there was a two pin connector with one wire that you shorted to ground to get the abs/brake light to "flash". That would give you your dtc. On 96 and perhaps 97 you had to use a pinout box plugged into the 16 way connector (first year obd II) which basically grounded the pin coming from the KH module. I do remember that you had the pinout box on pin 13, but not sure if that coincides with the actual 16 way connector. If pin 13 in the obd connector is black with a white trace I would say, yes, it's the same. Same thing, abs/light would flash for the dtc. IF the light didn't flash they had you check the + and - circuits leading to the KH controller. I've probably replaced three to four KH rwal controllers in the 12 years I've been wrenching on these trucks. Not common for them to fail. I wouldn't hesitate about installing a "recycled" one.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IF the light doesnt flash at all and just stays on is that telling me something I dont see? Also do you have a pinout of the connector so I can tell what 13 is? This is on my mine day and night!
Old 04-23-2005, 10:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Hyper
the dealer hook a DBR scan tool they use on the new trucks to it
There is no such thing as DBR scan tool for a new truck. The DRB system was abandoned in 1996 for OBD. The two systems don't mix. I've been though this more than dozen times, the light will go out after 50 start cycles.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:21 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Listen to J Body. You can't plug in and read these RWAL codes with either the DRBII (old system) or DRBIII (new system). The codes are readable, with a breakout box, and will lead you in the right direction. If guessing, the first thing I would do, is read the sensor resistance at the rear axle, then read it at the RWAL controller, to verify the integrity of the sensor circuit.
I have a 96 manual at the shop. I will look at it on monday, and see if you can retreive codes without the tool.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by infidel
There is no such thing as DBR scan tool for a new truck. The DBR system was abandoned in 1996 for OBD. The two systems don't mix. I've been though this more than dozen times, the light will go out after 50 start cycles.
Bill,

Is this what you are talking about?

https://techauthority.gltghosting.co.../ScanToolFlyer

Michael
Old 04-23-2005, 11:30 PM

Like I stated Hyper, if you ground the CORRECT pin with the pinout box and it DOESN'T flash, generally that's when they have you check the power and ground circuits at the Kelsey Hayes anti lock controller. My DC diag access that's available to me at home doesn't go back that far, so unless someone here has the Kelsey Hayes book for 1996, I would seek professional help. If I remember I can dig up some info Monday.

Bill, you confused me on that last statement on the DRB stuff. We had DRB 2 up to 1994 and then DRB III from 1994 to present. On the antilock systems the RWAL was pretty much diagnosed the same from 1989 till 96. I do know that with the RWAL forever you would just ground the pin they told you for the flash codes, and then, probably just to confuse us, they shipped the dealers a pinout box that plugged into the 16 way OBDII connector that would ground a pin and you could get the flashes. The AWAL was a whole different story so I'll leave that alone as it would add even more confusion.

....or to make this simple! There was NOT a scan tool that is used on the KH RWAL system in 1996.

Torquefan. All the breakout box did was ground a pin from the OBD II connector. I know that you used pin 13 in the box, but I'm not sure if that 13 coincides with pin 13 of the obd connector. From the beginning of RWAL the "ground for codes" wire was black with a white trace. I'm betting that if on his 96 there is a wire this color in the obd II connector, that would be the one to ground. I just don't have the good book handy to back up this thought.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:41 PM

OK..... I have a solution. If the trucks brake system operates correctly but the light is annoying you. Pull the bulb. Next month or so if you feel like it put the bulb back in. The codes by then should have been negated.

BTW...... No Charge.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:50 PM

......problem there lies in that (assuming correct diag procedures are being followed) if you cannot get the abs light to flash codes there is another direction to go in diag that has you checking the KH RWAL controller itself. First step being checking the power and grounds to the controller. Beyond that and I need the good book.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:57 PM

......Herb should be chiming in at any time now saying to take it to a Cummins shop because DC customer service sucks
Old 04-24-2005, 08:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by mkubacak
Bill,

Is this what you are talking about?
Michael, all I get is a error message.

JBody, when you go the '96 factory service manual you will find where the 50 start cycle to clear codes is mentioned. Unplugging the abs relay, unit or rear wheel sensor and starting the truck will cause you to have to start over on the 50 cycles. I was told the system was designed this way to make sure the owner takes care of an all important brake problem.

If your brakes are working fine unplugging the bulb seems like a good idea if you're impatient or you could just put some tape over them.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:26 AM

The KH RWAL system has never had the ability to store codes. Every time the key is truck is turned off it shuts down. When you turn the key back on it goes through it's system test. So if he would have replaced, for example, his rwss and that was the componant at fault, when he started his truck the system would have self tested, saw everything was OK, and the lights would go out. I do know that the system always caused the problem that with an intermittant issue customers would pull into the drive, shut their truck off, come in with the complaint and when I would go out and start the truck up....of course, no light. Would either have to road test until it came back on, or advise the customer if it did come back on to return asap and leave the truck running so I could run out and ground the pin to see what the fault was. I'll have to check on the 50 start deal on monday as I just don't ever recall that item if info.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:18 AM

my 97 is doing the same thing, what should i do differently than what's stated about this 96?

thanks,

Kelly
Old 04-25-2005, 08:23 PM

sit in the driveway and do 50 start and stops. see what happens.

Pat
Old 04-26-2005, 02:49 PM

The abs is not working, I slide this sucker sideways at 60 mph and it smoke the 4 rear tires like a nascar.

Now back to the abs, I can not check the pins to see if it has fire or grounds because I dont have a pinout showing me which ones should have ground and fire?

The Check engine light NEVER goes thru a check, When I turn on the switch the light comes on at the same time and DOES NOT BLINK and does not check itself. It is just a steady burn!!! SO I guess it is doing no self test!

If I unplug the abs computer light goes out...

HELP!!!!!

any diagrams can be sent to watersracing@bellsouth.net
Old 04-26-2005, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Hyper

Now back to the abs, I can not check the pins to see if it has fire or grounds because I dont have a pinout showing me which ones should have ground and fire?
HELP!!!!!

any diagrams can be sent to watersracing@bellsouth.net
Check your E-mail. I just sent you the pin-out of the ABS plug.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $100 Reward