2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

$100 Reward

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$100 Reward

I have up a 100.00 reward for anyone who can fix my Dodge ram,

Here is the problem I ran into last week

I was leaving a gas station and the ABS light blinked on and then back off, I saw it do it again then it came on and stayed on.

I searched the web and forum but I have not found the problem yet. Here is what I have done so far!

1, Replace the rear ABS sensor (53.00) Did not fix problem

2, Checked all the vaccum lines and even took out the battery box

3, Checked all the fuses inside the truck and out side the truck.

4, Readjusted the Brake light switch, Crusie did not work before I did this, work good afterwards.

5, Checked the rear brake lights, all work including the 3 rd one.

6,took out lower knee boster, found abs computer and unpluded it, Light went out but came right back on when I pludded it back in.

7.Did the Key on Key off check, got a 12, and a 55, 12 is because of the next thing in the list

8. Disconnected the batteries over night, still the light comes on and stays on when key is on or truck is running.

9, unpluged the emergency brake switch, light still on

10, check for raw wires could not find any!!

11 Took to dealer today and let them hook up the scanner to it, tech said he could not connect to the abs , had no connection. They wanted to keep it and charge me out the tail so I brought it back home. I am at the Point where my 1996 Club Cab Dually is about to get traded in on another truck. I bought it new and it has 81,000 orginal southern miles on it. I am so sick I cant even think about this. I am offering 100 cash to anyone who can fix this truck. if it is the ABS module send me one and I will send you 100 if it works. If you tell me it is this wire or that wire and I check it and it fixes it, the money is yours! I have already loss money on this problem so I am willing to offer the $100 to the guy or girl who can tell me what is wrong with it. The only thing I see I havent check is the ABS module.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:30 PM
Banned

If the light goes out when you unplug the module and then comes back on when you plug it back in, I'm willing to bet dollars to pesos that's your problem.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:55 PM

Have you tried to bleed the brakes? It turned my light off.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:39 PM

Do you have front wheel abs. If so check front wheel sensors and tone rings.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:42 PM

If the dealer cant communicate with the control module, then I would say that you need a control module. At least thats what I see with VWs.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have four wheel ABS, Im betting it is a front wheel sensor. Mine is bad and the lights stay on but the dealer got the code for it too.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could you get front wheel ABS on the 96???

Find a buddy with a similar truck and swap him modules, I agree with thes other guys sounds suspicious.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
WAIT!
By the code numbers I assume you have a 12 valve.
Brake system hard codes are stored for fifty start/stop cycles of the engine (engine must run) and don't show with the key off/on three times trick. It will go away. Disconnecting the batteries makes no difference. The dealer could have erased the code but my bet he was inexperienced and used a OBD scan tool, on pre '97 it needs a DBR scanner for the brake system. Some dealers don't even have DBRs any more, most dealers who do don't have anyone who knows how to operate them.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:16 PM

My Haynes book says something about diagnostic lead that you ground and the trouble codes will be flashed on the ABS light... I wasn't sure how to do that.. There is from 0 - 13 in trouble codes..

I got to go find the book now...
Old 04-21-2005, 07:21 PM

Also could be the controller anti-lok brake(cab). If you are unable to get codes the rom chip could possibly have gone bad and will be unable to store the codes inside the cab.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:27 PM

Is your truck a shortbed? What about rear dump valve solenoid?
Old 04-21-2005, 07:28 PM

abs

keep the ideas coming guys, hope we can figure it out. it only has rear wheel abs
Old 04-21-2005, 07:30 PM

Long Bed, club cab, rear ABS only.....HELP!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:06 PM

lets cross some things out here

One, , He said he has a 96, So that means long bed

2 he has a dually,, that means long bed

3 in 96 they didnt have front abs

4 what does the 12v have anything to do with it?

5 go grad a scan tool from auto zone and what not. Id imagine those lil things could do what you want them too

Plug her in,, jack up the rear tires. have a buddy spin the tire and watch the scan tool in the abs to see if the truck is seeing any voltage from the tire. doesnt take much spinning

If you dont see any voltage. unplug the harness, ( id have awire digram) and use a multimeter and watch for the Volts if you got them. Great. If not its very possible a wire broke inside. Could do the " wiggle" test or just run new wires for that sensor.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by infidel
WAIT!
By the code numbers I assume you have a 12 valve.
Brake system hard codes are stored for fifty start/stop cycles of the engine (engine must run) and don't show with the key off/on three times trick. It will go away. Disconnecting the batteries makes no difference. The dealer could have erased the code but my bet he was inexperienced and used a OBD scan tool, on pre '97 it needs a DBR scanner for the brake system. Some dealers don't even have DBRs any more, most dealers who do don't have anyone who knows how to operate them.
FOLLOW THS ADVICE!!!

Quick Reply: $100 Reward