24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Whining noise - like tires whine but it is not

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whining noise - like tires whine but it is not

I have searched for hours and can't find what I am looking for so now I will ask. I am stumped. You can hear this noise starting at 25-30 mph and up. It doesn't vary much with speed though.

This noise is getting louder, I think it is coming from the front but can't guarantee it. I have jacked it it up several times and have had all 4 wheels off at least twice. Everything seems tight (right lower ball joint a little loose). All 4 wheels turn smooth with no obvious play or grinding. I squeezed the calipers just a little to eliminate any drag and still no obvious end play in the bearings.

I rotated the tires twice (Michelin XLTs which are wearing fine) and it made absolutely no difference. Wet and snowy roads don't make any difference either so I am sure it is not the tires.

I took the front drive shaft off and it didn't make any difference either.

Brakes were new shortly before this started about 8 thousand miles ago. It is bugging me, when will it let me down?

Lately I have noticed it gets louder if you turn a little to the left and quieter if you turn just a little to the right.

On top off all that, you can shut the engine off and push the clutch in or throw it in neutral and it still makes this noise - so I know it isn't engine related.

I hope this is enough detail to get some help.

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. It just turned 104,000 miles.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:24 AM

Buy what you are saying as long as the tires are turning you can hear a noise ,i would do a check on the differentials and transfer case
Old 02-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Chapter President

Or a wheel bearing. It could be that it is just not loose enough yet to let you feel the slop.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:36 AM

sounds like wheel bearings. i have to replace one on my truck but cant currently afford to. for my IFS they are 200 each, but i have hub assemblies and 2wd. also if you turn right and you hear the noise it usally the right bearing but not always just because you dont have play doesnt mean they arent bad
Old 02-03-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
If it changes sound as you turn the wheel I would look into wheel bearings first. you might also check the driveshaft carrier bearing on this truck. Kurt
Old 02-03-2008, 02:50 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
it's your transmission, mine does it when really cold .. around zero. it doesn't do it if i keep my truck in the garage!
Old 02-03-2008, 09:46 PM

I don't understand how it could be the tranny

Temperature seems to have nothing to do with this noise. We have had temps from 8 to 50 degrees in the last month and no change in the noise.

Leaning the truck from side to side and making the noise change probably does indicate a dang bearing. Is there any way to verify a bearing is really going before it takes a crap on me? This has been going on for at least 8k miles now and is just starting to get louder.

I'd hate to spend all that money on a couple bearings and find out it is still not fixed.

Also, I had put Amsoil in both diffs when there was about 30k on the truck. I checked the front diff and the stuff is still purty green and up where it should be - but not too full.

Last edited by SSV1761982; 02-03-2008 at 09:47 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-03-2008, 09:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
have you checked the ujoints in the front drive shaft? by wobbling the axle shaft up and down in between the housing and the spindle assembly where u can see the u joint?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:15 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Two things come to mind:

1) the seal on the inside of one of the front wheel hub/bearing assemblies. I've heard a few instances where the bearing itself was fine, but the lip seal dried out and started squealing. Verify by jacking it up and spinning each front wheel by hand while listening to the seal with a stethoscope. Try spraying the seal area with a lubricant like Fluid Film to quiet it.

2) The support bearing on the rear driveshaft. They tend to make a high pitched noise, as they are spinning 3 or 4 times faster than the wheels. Ideally, you would run the truck in gear on a hoist while listening to it with a stethoscope, but it is safer to just drop the driveshaft and give it a spin by hand to feel for roughness.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:27 AM

Is there any way to verify a bearing is really going before it takes a crap on me? This has been going on for at least 8k miles now and is just starting to get louder.
An old garage mechanic helped Me with this little bit of wisdom and I've thanked him silently many times since, considering the junk I used to have to drive;
When the noise starts getting noticable try pushing on the brake pedal,
the calipers unload the bearings and they get quiet.
I suspect that the caliper actually acts as a damper but that simple rule of thumb has never left me stranded.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:21 AM

I took the front driveshaft off and went for a ride - no change

A couple months ago I took the front driveshaft off and went for a ride - no change.

I have tried puting the brakes on to see if it would make a difference but it didn't. That suprizes me too. I expected a change.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:26 PM

sounds like the wheel bearing si going.
mine would clunk as it got closer.
400 bucks a piece is cost for each side.

start saving.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:27 PM

There goes the savings in fuel costs

Gee, I would have been better off feeding my old 454 Chevy. It used twice the fuel, but was cheap to maintain.

I'll start looking for parts.

Any body know of less expensive places to get bearings? Might as well do the bal joints while I am at it. Anything else need done while it is apart?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by SSV1761982

Lately I have noticed it gets louder if you turn a little to the left and quieter if you turn just a little to the right.
i can almost gurantee you it is your right front wheel bearing.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:23 PM

left front, same problem

Quick Reply: Whining noise - like tires whine but it is not