24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What's Wrong With Purolator, Motorcraft, and AcDelco?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's Wrong With Purolator, Motorcraft, and AcDelco?

Sure, the Stratapore Fleetguard is an excellent filter, but why should we bother with the extra cost and mail-order availability when the Purolator, Motorcraft, and AcDelco filters are also recommended by Mother Cummins?

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/09-004-01.htm

" If you use one of the filters in this list, you will not have to worry about warranty coverage of an oil related engine failure."
Old 10-29-2004, 09:18 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
If you find these other types somewhere and your OK with it then by all means use them. I personally can get the Fleetgaurds any time I want so I make sure that is what I use. To each is own.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:57 PM

The "other" filters listed here are cellulose filters and offer substandard filtration when compared to the Stratapore. The Stratapore offers several advantages over the cellulose or microglass filters:

- Strength and durability
- Less compromise of efficiency and life due to multi-layering
- Organic contaminant tolerance
- Lower filter restriction

http://www.fleetguard.com/fleet/en/p...stratapore.jsp
Old 10-30-2004, 12:36 AM

I don't know about the oil filters...but the Purolater fuel filter is a rebadged Stratopore. That said...I can buy the Fleetgard from Geno's cheaper than I can by a Purolator.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:33 AM

I always thought this was a great web site to check out regarding Mopar's oil filters... You will never believe who makes them????

And another good reason to use Fleetguard!

Mopar Oil Filters And Who Makes Them! -> Click Here <-
Old 10-30-2004, 08:37 AM

"What's Wrong With Purolator, Motorcraft, and AcDelco? "

Nothing, other than it's not "mopar, cummins or fleetguard"

Only "mopar" filter that has ever been on my truck was when I took delivery of it... it's been Baldwin ever since..

Tony
Old 10-30-2004, 10:57 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Personally, I'd rather go with what I think is 'best' than 'probably just as good'.
Helps me sleep at night.

NuttinbutstratoporeonmytruckEd
Old 10-31-2004, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Mopar1973man
I always thought this was a great web site to check out regarding Mopar's oil filters... You will never believe who makes them????

And another good reason to use Fleetguard!

Mopar Oil Filters And Who Makes Them! -> Click Here <-
I was under the impression that the Mopar filter for the CTD was a Fleetguard.This was backed up by people on the TDR site.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by EricK
I was under the impression that the Mopar filter for the CTD was a Fleetguard.This was backed up by people on the TDR site.
Fleetguard are a Cummins filter as far as I know. But I found this web site (in above message) to inform people about Mopar Filters... The fact is that Mopar buy Fram filters and others and rebadge them for there purpose.

If fram filter did cause some sort of damage would think that Mopar would have to find a new supplier for filters since Fram makes filters for Mopar? (Something is fishy here!)

I still perferr to use Fleetguard (which is made by Wix - I think...)
Old 10-31-2004, 10:00 AM

Can someone tell me if there is some kind of good oil filter wrench for a Fleetguard LF3894. I'd prefer the "cup" kind that goes on the bottom of the filter and attaches to a 3/8" wrench....
Old 10-31-2004, 12:42 PM

Mopar1973man,

I suspect you have things a little mixed up. Fram most likely makes the oil filters that DC sells for GAS vehicles. Fleetguard filters are made by Fleetguard NOT Wix - and are sold to DC for the diesel trucks. I believe that I read that study you mentioned and I dont recall that it was for diesel equipment.

njoverkill,

The LF3894 does not have any flutes on the bottom, so the type filter wrench you mentioned wont work. Find a good strap wrench. Hastings makes one (sorry no p/n I just seen it in the store) that has a strap that is twice as wide as the Lisle version.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by Dr. Evil
Mopar1973man,

I suspect you have things a little mixed up. Fram most likely makes the oil filters that DC sells for GAS vehicles. Fleetguard filters are made by Fleetguard NOT Wix - and are sold to DC for the diesel trucks. I believe that I read that study you mentioned and I dont recall that it was for diesel equipment.

Ok... Opps... I stand corrected about fleetguard & Wix Comment. Sorry...

But as for DC relationship with Fram and others its shown in the site for the filters there. Being that DC doesn't make any filters that I know of...
Old 10-31-2004, 05:16 PM

Fleetguard makes the DC filters for the diesels as well.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:25 AM

I just use fram filters on my truck. I wouldnt know how good or bad they filter the oil compared to the others. I dont worry about them falling apart though. The way I see it, Fram has been around for awhile and if they made a product that would fall apart during use, they would know about it by now. Im in Iraq right now and i belong to a heavy construction equipment unit. I dont know if it means much but the army uses Fram filters on a lot of its machines. Like Caterpiller D7, D8 bulldozers, scrapers, graders, loaders, you name it. They also dont worry about the repair bill either. these machines are pretty old but they all start up easy and run well.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:12 AM

My wife works for Fleetguard. Cummins own Fleetguard (so Hoss that means Ford owns Fleetguard! ) My brother-in-law just gave me some Stratapore fuel filters to try next change. I use Fram oil filters because they are made right here in the Fleetguard plant. That and I get 12 free filters a year and fuel filters are alot more than oil filters.

Quick Reply: What's Wrong With Purolator, Motorcraft, and AcDelco?