24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What's inside the Cummins ECU...

Old 05-14-2008, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by J Lent
I have a ecm out of a 98.5 that went bad on me. Test mule?
Bad ECM? Or good ECM out of a dead truck? ECM can probably be repaired and reprogrammed.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by dieselfuelonly
So is this process that you are currently going through what many of the creators of the various chips, programmers, downloaders, etc. etc. go through when they make their devices for the 24-valve Cummins and other types of engines that are electronically controlled, but they don't share their findings for $$$$ reasons?
I don't know. The add-on boxes mess with the CAN bus data. Those could have probably been developed by 'sniffing' the data on the CAN bus during operation.

To develop a programmer like the Smarty, would probably have required much of the same work I as I am doing right now.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interesting...keep up the good work!

Have you discovered anything that would cause the ECM to go bad regularly? I have gone through 2 in 6 months/ 20K miles. I was able to trace the problems (1- wierd gauge issues and 2- no communication with the APPS) based on the pins in the plug leading into the ECM. The dodge manual has a great reference to the plug detail, which I assume you have.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jdonoghue
Bad ECM? Or good ECM out of a dead truck? ECM can probably be repaired and reprogrammed.
I asked Bob Wagner to have it fixed & got the cold shoulder. I have been searching for someone to repair my ecm since September with no luck. It just went dead after throwing a PO253 code. The truck wouldn't even start with this ecm. The one in my truck now [used replacement] was throwing a PO121 code, but that hasn't showed up since I reset my APPS last week. There is nobody around here who repairs them. I will gladly pay if I can have it fixed.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
COLD SHOULDER? Let this guy check it out. some things you just chuck.

We have been there and done that for how long?

Have fun
Old 05-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
COLD SHOULDER? Let this guy check it out. some things you just chuck.

We have been there and done that for how long?

Have fun
Sorry Bob, to quote you "I'm sorry, but we cannot help you at this time." That is what my wife says & I consider that a cold shoulder.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:49 PM

Site updated

More fun with SCI cable. I reflashed the eBay ECU with a hacked version of my truck's original flash file that lets me 'peek' at anywhere in memory. The reflashed unit is in my truck and is operational. I was able to peek at some VP44 CAN messages.

A more detailed explanation is in the project log on my site.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by J Lent
I asked Bob Wagner to have it fixed & got the cold shoulder. I have been searching for someone to repair my ecm since September with no luck. It just went dead after throwing a PO253 code. The truck wouldn't even start with this ecm. The one in my truck now [used replacement] was throwing a PO121 code, but that hasn't showed up since I reset my APPS last week. There is nobody around here who repairs them. I will gladly pay if I can have it fixed.
I don't know if it's really worth repairing. I've seen them go for around $100 on eBay, and even a search of online junkyards has turned them up for not much more than $150.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jdonoghue
I don't know if it's really worth repairing. I've seen them go for around $100 on eBay, and even a search of online junkyards has turned them up for not much more than $150.
Really, I can't find them used out here.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great work. My injection pump has been throwing p0216 for months now. Im going to take it off soon and considering some reverse engineering on the controller inside of it. I may try to make my own controller for it and mount it externally. If you learn the secrets of the can bus please post them on your webpage. I'll probably just make a simple analog and digital combo board first then when I get it all figured out I might try a PIC version. Do you know if the wiring for the vp44 requires any special shilding or twisted pair, because I want to start by extending it.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Junkdude
Great work. My injection pump has been throwing p0216 for months now. Im going to take it off soon and considering some reverse engineering on the controller inside of it. I may try to make my own controller for it and mount it externally. If you learn the secrets of the can bus please post them on your webpage. I'll probably just make a simple analog and digital combo board first then when I get it all figured out I might try a PIC version. Do you know if the wiring for the vp44 requires any special shilding or twisted pair, because I want to start by extending it.
Reading my mind, eh? I was just thinking about this over lunch. I need to find one of those VP44 modules to dissect. A really interesting thing to do would be to find a shop that can calibrate VP44s, and hook a CAN bus sniffer inline with the pump while it's being calibrated. Perhaps then we could figure out how to raise the fuel rate limit and we won't need to tap pump wires anymore.

Don't worry, once I figure out all the CAN bus stuff it's going on my web page.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im pretty sure they can balance the fuel delivery to the ports and compensate for timing variance among other parameters. They must get stored in some EEPROM in the pump. I suspect an unlock key would be needed to change any of the data.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:54 AM

Fun with maps

I've found most of the 2D and 3D maps in the ECU flash file from my truck. I spent some time this afternoon working on the definition file for RomRaider - now I can see cool 3D views of the map tables (and edit them too!).

I've got quite a bit more of digging through the code to nail down what all the maps do. There are also constants that need to be changed (limits, etc.). I've also got to get back to my hack that will let me download temporary changes to the ECU. I've already hacked a memory read function into the code. memory write will let me temporarily alter stuff with the engine off, instantly, without having to reflash the unit.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:28 PM

P0602 code

I've figured out where the P0602 DTC comes from. Interesting because I have seen reports of programmers generating P0602's. It would be an easy patch to get rid of the P0602.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Banned

You must be working long hours on this project, you are moving fast. Good work!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's inside the Cummins ECU...