24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

what has gone wrong on your 01 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we have 270.000, replaced vp44 pump, injector pump, normal wear stuff,upper and lower ball joints, trak bar, steering damper,steering box,sway bar links,sway bar,all shocks,thats all i can think of right now but i know there's more.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got mine with 72,000 miles now has 126,000 not gonna count normal wear items (battery's, brakes etc) Have had a Boss 8' snowplow hanging on the front going into the 3rd season now.

Just did one front Hub
new front shocks and coil springs
Ball Joints
Track Bar
Slave cylinder it failed shortly after i put in a stronger clutch
2 lift pumps in 3 years
Volume control button on back of steering wheel

I can't complain (except for the price of front end parts) for what i do with it and to it i think its held up well, very reliable. (factory VP yet)
Old 12-08-2008, 12:20 AM

i see several "replaced hubs" whats a good replacement? is it worth the cost to convert to free spinning hubs?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:01 AM

cmcurtis94

First timer here. Just replaced lift pump in tank with same one from Advance Auto. This pump was just replaced replaced about a year and a half ago. It replaced the original side mounted pump. Been running my own fuel mix of veg oil/kerosene/gas. Is it that the pump is pos or do you think it may have somehting to do with the fuel mix?

2001 102500m k/n filter charger
Old 12-08-2008, 11:02 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Mine has 60,000 miles on it and they have been VERY hard miles both towing and not (50-50 mix) with lots of gravel roads. It's been through the ditch more times than not and EGT's in the amber or very close most of the time towing. I've tried to beat it down but it won't quit.

I've changed both batteries (age), the evaporator core and drier (core leaking), Lift pump (still good but pressure starting to get low), 4 shocks (better quality), All synthetic oil (cold temps) and lots of tires as I was only getting around 20,000km because of towing and all the gravel roads I used to drive.

I forgot about the rear wheel bins, they "disappeared" the first time on the gravel at high speed. The dealer gave me new ones but I lined them with 1/4 inch rubber belting before installing them and they are still there.

It's been a good truck... but when I bought it I swore I would never have another automatic transmission problem again, I bought a bottom of the line fleet truck with a 5 speed.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:11 PM

I purchased my 01 2500 Diesel 4x4 last year and had no problems until now. Had to replace the Ring & Pinion in the rear.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well,
I have 125k miles or so and have done the brakes once, three sets of tires, two lift pumps (2nd one I mounted on frame), new shocks, Batteries (looking at getting new ones again), trac bar, and the DSS kit on the steering box. Other than that it has been regular stuff, oil/filters/trannny fluid etc...

So far so good...now I went and said it.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:39 AM

my truck has 251k on it. just got it couple months ago. and i already almost had a starter fall off. luckily it was ok. just replaced alternator. needs a new vp, clutch, and some front end tightening.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:31 AM

bought the truck brand new, just replaced brakes for 1st time last summer! not lyin either, 2 lift pumps clockspring twice and grid heater, ive drove it like a race car since day one, oh yeeaaa, clutch hydraulics once to, 200,000k on truck, been an unbeleivable truck for the way i trash it, i farm to so it works hard also.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:18 AM

Bought mine May 07 and have since put on 114,000kms (200-300km or 8hrs a day 5days a week)

I'm on my 2nd set of rotors, and countless sets of pads, front pads used to last about 2-3months, until I did the rear wheel cyl mod and lengthed the load propotioning rod in the rear, I found I get the best life out of Bendex pad (commercial/taxi)
Rebuilt tranny
3rd track bar(3rd gen will be my next replacement)
one set of rear drums and shoes
both rear P brake cables
front drv shaft (got a used one "like new")
rear ABS sensor (found broken wires later)
Heater core (pin hole)
set of batterys (Grid relays stuck on)
Alternator
new fan belt (replaced same time as Alt)
Tensioner pulley (had heavy tapered wear causing it to push the belt towards the engine)
Broken wires at headlight switch (cause by tilt wheel movement over time)
Vacuum pump seal (oil leak)
New AIT sensor (replaced because or age)
Starter contacts, replaced with 6$ oem type (have Larry B's on the bench)
Heater Fan (old one making a small annoying noise)
1 front axel U-joint (the one with a grease zerk failed, The no zerk "orginal type" has not failed 411,000kms later)
a couple rear U-joints
1 set of rims. the alumn rims had cracks in the bead seat area (very common with these trucks) replaced with steel rims
Drv seat wore out and seatbelt frayed
Engine oil changes every 25000-30000kms (Amsoil)
Replaced all fluids in truck with Amsoil stuff
New PS box (failed a couple months later, bought a seal kit and a steering brace)
New Power steering pump
4 new shocks (rear shocks had the bushings beat out)
rear swaybar links (made my own)
thermostat

mods

after 2 lift pumps replaced with Airdog
replaced VP because orginal on truck had 340,000 on it, nothing wrong with orginal.
had an EZ replaced it with Juice/Attitude
Replaced factory headlight assys because of fading and poor light output (e-bay clear lens type)
4inch exhaust
BHAF
80hp injectors
Tranny ground mod (to fix surging issues)
Tranny with transgo shift kit and billet TC
Steering box brace

I may have missed a couple of repairs, but my truck is hard used (but well looked after) For what this truck has made me in income, the repairs are pretty small potatoes, I had a 6.5 Chev 2500, and there is no comparison between the two trucks.

After reading everyone else's repair list you can see a trend in common wear items and the trucks "weak" spots

Over all I'm pleased with my truck
Old 12-28-2008, 04:01 PM

i have 378,000 on mine towing a 32' gooseneck (hotshot) i bought the truck new.just replace ball joints track bar clutch im on my 2nd nv5600,still on the factory vp44 i put a carter inline pump when the truck had 5000 miles and also i drill out the banjo bolts.other than normal stuff the truck has been awesome.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:13 PM

188,000 - 2 VP's, AC condenser and dryer, 2 oil pressure guage switches, 1 rear caliper, just replaced original rear pads 3 weeks ago, dash cracked - overall very good truck.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:56 PM

Old 300 why did you replace your calipers? You know a lot of brake shops now replace calipers standard every time you get a brake job to avoid lawsuit and pass on the cost to the consumer not because they're needed. That repair a loan is near $1000. And what was wrong with the hub bearings? Sounds more like a shop trying to replace something that wasn't broke.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:17 AM

I'd like to add that my fuel bill for last yr was 11,000$ heck I paid 14,000 for the truck in May 07, in a yr and half I've paid more in fuel than what the truck cost, but then again the truck has made me a truck load of money! best money I've every spent on a truck
Old 12-31-2008, 11:01 AM

was there any changes on the 02" models?

Quick Reply: what has gone wrong on your 01 4x4?