24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What fluid to use in a NV4500?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What if your NV4500 has been rebuilt and doesn't have the fiber syncros?
Old 02-23-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
NV4500HD Specs:

* Manufactured by New Venture Gear
* Synchronizers: Carbon fiber composite
* Input shaft: 1-1/4" 10 spline (Diesel, V10 version - order code DDX)
* 4x4 Output shaft: 1-1/2" 29 spline
* Input torque rating: 460 ft-lb
* Max GVWR: 16,000 lb
* Max GCVWR: 21,000 lb
* Cast Iron Case, Weight (with oil): 250 pounds
* Fluid Capacity: 8.5 pints

o Fill level is to the bottom edge of the fill plug hole.
o These are the ONLY lubricants recommended for the NV4500:
+ 75W-90 Castrol Syntorque Synthetic
+ Mopar Manual Transmission Lubricant (PN 4637579)
+ GM Transmission oil (PN 12346191)
+ NOTE: Syntorque is NOT the same as Castrol Syntech.
+ Standard Transmission has the oil. 1-800-783-8726
+ Alternative oils?
* Drain Plug P/N: 4882280

Notice that the synchros are Carbon Fiber - use the Castrol Syntorque as recommended (and NOT Castrol Syntech)
Ok, I will go with either the mopar or Castrol Syntorque! But it says 8.5 pints so that would be 4.25 quarts? Right? So would 4.5 qrts be to much? Sorry to beat the drum but with my crappy getrag I added 1.5 qrts more than I was supposed to to keep it lubed better. Thanks, Robert
Old 02-23-2009, 05:01 PM
DRD

Good luck finding the Syntorque, I haven't had much luck up north
Old 02-23-2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by DRD
Yeah I know! I just called around with no luck! Who the heck sells this stuff?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:58 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Barney
Interesting article but I notice it was last updated Feb 6 2000, that's almost a decade ago and oils HAVE changed. Amsoil has a synthetic one they specifically recommend for the NV4500 it's about half the price and readily available.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by DRD
I actually called Castro today to find out why no one sells syncrotorque. I was told that it belongs to Chrysler and GM. It was specifically designed for them and they have all the rights to it! I was told you can only buy it threw the dealers. So thats the same thing you buy when you buy the mopar and gm part #'s! How many of you nv4500 guys are running Amsoil 75-90 and royal purple maxgear 75-90? My buddy down at my local dealer said he could sell me the mopar stuff for $17 a quart. Tell me what you use and how does it last and how does your tranny shift? Thanks, Robert
Old 02-25-2009, 05:23 PM

Standard Transmission and Gear has been a good place to get a rebuilt NV4500 with the 5th. gear fix -->> a fully splined shaft and upgraded gear. They used to list the Syntorq as their preferred fluid, and also made it available in one gallon caontainers.

They have a nice section for the Dodge / NV4500. You have to click on the 'Products' link, then the Dodge w/Cummins Diesel link on the Products page.

They now list Amsoil MTG as their supplied fluid.
http://www.standardtransmission.com/

If you go to the MTG page on the Amsoil site, https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx they have a nice section regarding the NV4500.

It states:
Ideal for NV-4500 Transmissions
MTG is a thermally stable, extreme pressure formulation that resists heat, oxidation, acid build-up and varnish. It is the ideal gear lube for high temperature applications, including the New Venture NV-4500 transmission, which retains heat due to its cast iron housing and is often subjected to heavy loads and high torque from turbo-diesel engines.

AMSOIL MTG is the replacement fluid for GM part #12346190 and Chrysler part #4874459 (Chrysler specification #MS-9070).

So there you go, the aftermarket has come up with something that is more readily available than the "Booga-Booga.... You had better use my proprietary fluid, or else your transmission will blow up...." stuff.

I have always used the Syntorq. Specifically due to the fiberous oxide coatings on the faces of the synchros. The Syntorq was engineered with this in mind, to provide the correct coefficient of friction for trouble-free shifting and operation.

I used the GM 'flavor" and got it here:
http://www.dsutrucks.com/
Old 02-25-2009, 07:25 PM

Thanks Barney. But you say you found an aftermarket replacement. But you yourself have never used anything but the factory (oem) syntorque. I know several of you guys out there have put different gear oils into your nv4500's. What are you using, how is it holding up, and how is it shifting? Thanks
Old 02-25-2009, 09:04 PM

Amsoil is a GL4 oil, which is what the NV4500. Thats the requirement, so go from there.

I ran some Redline tranny fluid in my 4500 after I did the clutch. Within about 5k, the 3rd gear synchro was out, and by the time I lost 5th gear, it ground into every gear. When I dropped the original fluid out, it was still a nice honey colour (was about 350k km on it). When I pulled that tranny after it lost 5th, I took the top off and the oil was jet black. I put in a 94 transmission with over 400k on it, and the oil was still nice and clean. I dropped it anyway and put in new oil from the dealer. Trouble free to this day.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:33 AM

freight train, I just found that Amsoil reference today. I'm about due for an oil change on the tranny so I haven't had to think about the replacement fluid until now. That's why I haven't looked for it. I'll get to it after the weather gets better. We'll see what DSU wants for the GM flavor and also see what the Amsoil costs and go with what I can get for a better price.

The MTG is the first aftermarket oil I have seen that references the OEM lube specs. Because of the fiberous oxide coatings on the synchros, I didn't want to chance a different fluid, than the Syntorq. Many people have had good luck with fluids other than the Syntorq. I believe that when Standard Transmission rebuilds the NV4500, they use replacement synchros that are not coated.

I have Amsoil series 2000 80W-90(?) in the front and rear diffs, with about 60K miles on it. It still looks clean and near the original color. So I'm not concerned about using the Amsoil in the NV4500. I expect it will perform quite well.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:07 AM

I had a 99 with the 4500 and used the amsoil 2 times and lost 2 transmissions within a days of putting it in.

Bought a fresh transmission and the guy handed be some lucas (I cannot remember the numbers but you could call them) I questioned it and he signed a 100,000 mile warranty

I never needed the warranty
Old 02-26-2009, 07:09 AM

I also called lucas just before using it the guy told me to have a good nights sleep and not to worry
Old 02-26-2009, 07:00 PM

Well, I was going to use the Royal Purple maxgear 75-90. But after hearing the horror stories I am again starting to worry! I think I might just stick with the mopar syntorque. Barney, if you get the Amsoil in please let me know how it performs? Thanks, Robert
Old 02-27-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I have been running the Amsoil since last spring and when I first changed it, it was like night and day difference. So far no change...
Old 02-27-2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
Amsoil is a GL4 oil, which is what the NV4500. Thats the requirement, so go from there.

I ran some Redline tranny fluid in my 4500 after I did the clutch. Within about 5k, the 3rd gear synchro was out, and by the time I lost 5th gear, it ground into every gear. When I dropped the original fluid out, it was still a nice honey colour (was about 350k km on it). When I pulled that tranny after it lost 5th, I took the top off and the oil was jet black. I put in a 94 transmission with over 400k on it, and the oil was still nice and clean. I dropped it anyway and put in new oil from the dealer. Trouble free to this day.
Heres something puzzling - I dont mean to hijack the thread but I switched my NV-5600 to Redline MTL a year and a half ago. I have developed a slight grind when going into 3 rd gear (I assume its the synchro). But heres the puzzling part - it only grinds when its cold - like on the first and second shifts of the day. Whats going on here??

Quick Reply: What fluid to use in a NV4500?