24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

weird "Dip Stick" issue ??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 08:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy weird "Dip Stick" issue ??????

Kind of a new guy here- have used DTR as a resource for years, but not many posts, so here goes. I own a 1999 2500 Cummins, stock,that I've had for many years, I just love this truck.So I just replaced the crank position sensor & while doing so I had to bend the metal tube coming out of the block out ever so slightly 1/16"-1/8" to be able to remove the sensor & after reinstalling starter & putting it all back together, the dip stick will now not go in all the way. protrudes a good 6"-8", so I fuzzed down the round end a bit for clearance- no luck!! Next, ever so gently tapped the tube back, no luck. so next I cut a long piece of 1/16" mech. wire & tried that, stopped in the same spot, so I twisted the wire with pressure & it went in!!! but not without "rotating" the wire. what the heck did I do & how do "un-do" what I did ???? the dip stick is flat & cannot be rotated once put in the tube ! I am stymied. do they make a cable style dip stick for the Cummins motor & would any one know where to find one- not even sure that would work, but at least I would able to rotate it to maybe get it past the blockage. I'm lost, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for help- input, Mike aka stormy76.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:05 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I'd ask Oliver Foster..

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...-parts-323504/

Quite probable that he has a dipsick tube.

If you do not want to take that route you can use a steel wire to pull a steel ball that just fits into the tube through the tube- this will press out the kink you made in the tube.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:47 PM

I haven't been back under the truck today, but that would require dropping the oil pan enough to move it towards pass. side about an 1" to access bottom of tube, reshaping or removing & new pan gasket would that be correct ?- sorry just running procedure thru my head out loud ! And is it possible to replace pan gasket while still under truck ? still, thinking out loud again. guess I'll get my 68 year old butt off my Harley & crawl back under the truck. not many riding days left at 9000 feet. thanks for the advice, Mike aka. stormy76
Old 08-25-2018, 01:01 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

I think you just bent #4 in the picture. (shearing motion against #1 )

If you change the plastic tube (32US$ +shipping) you will need to move the metal clip #6 and then wiggle #4 off #1 - sometimes it makes sense to split #4 with a knife where it ia baked to #1.

No need to remove the oil pan.

If you damaged #1 it's going to be more fun.

You could also simply use a thin steel wire like from a bicycle brake or shifter and copy the low and full marks from your dipstick on it. A loop and a clamp as the grip. a bit of silicone as the plug that holds it in place.

I understand your reluctance to shorten the riding season.. we'll have snow in the mountains tomorrow over here..
Old 08-25-2018, 09:44 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by stormy76
I haven't been back under the truck today, but that would require dropping the oil pan enough to move it towards pass. side about an 1" to access bottom of tube, reshaping or removing & new pan gasket would that be correct ?- sorry just running procedure thru my head out loud ! And is it possible to replace pan gasket while still under truck ? still, thinking out loud again. guess I'll get my 68 year old butt off my Harley & crawl back under the truck. not many riding days left at 9000 feet. thanks for the advice, Mike aka. stormy76
nope, all you have to do is pull the plastic tube off the metal tube that is pushed into the block, then use a pair of pliers to remove the tube from the block. it is just a light tap fit and comes out easily. with the plastic tube off of the metal tube you should be able to see if you bent it or the plastic tube has a kink in it. if you have to remove the metal tube, find a bolt that fits snug in the tube then use a pair of vice grip pliers to grab the tube with out crushing the tube and twist it out. then use a tapered punch to round out the top of the metal tube by tapping it into the tube with the tube on a piece of metal, then reinsert it into the block. if your dip stick tube is all metal, take out the bolt at the top end clamp and carefully twist and pull the tube out of the block, it has only an "O" ring to seal it to the block. carefully straighten the kink in the tube and reinstall it. there, we`ve covered both types of dip stick tubes.
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 04:07 PM

removed plastic tube, & found it was cracked @ top of metal tube. cut off plastic tube,found a piece of thick walled rubber tubing, drilled out one end to fit over plastic tube, other end fit metal tube- checked dipstick in metal tube first- worked just right,put it altogether, added 2 clamps, good as new. just for "grins" called dealership & they wanted $140.00 for plastic tube!!!!! was able to fix for about $1.50 including clamps.
Thanks for all the help & input- you guys ROCK.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Glad you got it fixed!