Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Waiting to Start??? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/waiting-start-176421/)

Itsmejoe231 11-03-2007 01:07 PM

Waiting to Start???

In the past I would put the key in and turn it on and see my wait to start light come on and give it a few seconds and then crank it up without any problems.

Well, just here recently I noticed the "Wait to Start" light will not come on until all the other lights have come on and gone through there checks and most have gone out and then you can hear the lift pump come on for about a second and then the "Wait to start" light will come on and do it's thing like normal.

FYI.... It will not start until the WTS light has come on. On a couple of occasions I have forgot about the WTS light and turned the engine over but had to stop and wait for the light to come on and the lift pump give it a squirt of fuel.

Any suggestions on what is going?

mudwisr2 11-04-2007 09:06 AM

Not real sure what is going on but do you wait until the WTS light goes off to start the truck? I was under the impression that if you start the truck before the light goes off you can damage the vp44, starving it of fuel.

robert78.5 11-04-2007 09:26 AM

The wait to start light is on while the intake heater is warming up., when light goes out the heater is hot ready to start engine. It has nothing to do with the fuel lift pump.

JSPulliam21 11-04-2007 02:40 PM

Wait to start light allows the grid heater to cycle once before you start the engine. If it is warm outside I don't even bother, but if it is below 65 I wait till it goes out. You can hear the grid heater relay click off when the light goes out.

Itsmejoe231 11-04-2007 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by JSPulliam21 (Post 1773663)
Wait to start light allows the grid heater to cycle once before you start the engine. If it is warm outside I don't even bother, but if it is below 65 I wait till it goes out. You can hear the grid heater relay click off when the light goes out.

When it was warm I used to not bother. The difference is NOW, the WTS light will not even come on until after all the other dash lights have come on and went through their checks and most have went out no matter how cold or hot it is. This usually takes 5 to 7 seconds after the key is turned on. When it does come on I can hear the lift pump come one for about 1 second and my fuel pressure gauge will jump from 0 psi to about 10 psi. Then i can start the engine.

JSPulliam21 11-04-2007 05:00 PM

So, the WTS light takes longer to come on than it used to. Sorry, I guess I did not read your post thoroughly. Have you tried disconnecting the batteries for 30 minutes with the key on to reset the computer?

Itsmejoe231 11-06-2007 06:42 PM

I have not done that but I will. I have check for any codes but did not get any.

kwast 11-06-2007 07:21 PM

A delayed "wait to start" light can be an indication of a ecm problem. when the light finaly comes on that means the ecm is good 2 go and your truck will fire.

try to reset the ecm/computer as stated above by disconnecting the positive battery cables (leave negatives on) for about 2 hrs. this will drain the memory ie: reset.

now this may or may not solve your problem. I have the same trouble on my truck. did it 2 years ago for 6 months and then fixed it self, good for 1 year and then it did it again for 2 months and the day I was given this above info (from Bob Wagner) it solved it self again and the trouble has not returned so who knows??[duhhh]

are you're batteries in good shape?????? mine were old and not holding a good charge when this started and now I sometimes have a draw somewhere through the ecm(goes away when i pull the fuse)???

have a gooder 1 and keep us posted. Gotta fix mine to, on my second set of batts in 2 years(warrenty)[duhhh][coffee]

Itsmejoe231 11-06-2007 07:48 PM

Thanks for the info. My batteries are old (3 years) but they fire up just fine. I kinda figured in the back of my mind that this winter will be time to change them.

I will do the battery disconnect and report back to what I find.

Itsmejoe231 11-11-2007 06:22 PM

Well, I did the battery disconnect when I connected them back up it did not immediately fix the problem. However, after a couple of days it went back to doing the correct sequence. Now, I thought that was kind of weird.....

JSPulliam21 11-11-2007 07:00 PM

That is odd.

Itsmejoe231 11-11-2007 09:03 PM

I will wait to see if it does this again in the cooler temps. It has been warmer the past several days and that might affect the batteries. We will see.

lxlaw 11-25-2007 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Itsmejoe231 (Post 1772212)
In the past I would put the key in and turn it on and see my wait to start light come on and give it a few seconds and then crank it up without any problems.

Well, just here recently I noticed the "Wait to Start" light will not come on until all the other lights have come on and gone through there checks and most have gone out and then you can hear the lift pump come on for about a second and then the "Wait to start" light will come on and do it's thing like normal.

FYI.... It will not start until the WTS light has come on. On a couple of occasions I have forgot about the WTS light and turned the engine over but had to stop and wait for the light to come on and the lift pump give it a squirt of fuel.

Any suggestions on what is going?

I have been posting about the same problem and people have been giving me hell, LOL. I just replaced the ECM, and it works perfect now. I was told it is the memory module or other component in the ECM that causes it. But the trucks wait to start light comes on every time now and it will start.

lxlaw 11-25-2007 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by kwast (Post 1777779)
A delayed "wait to start" light can be an indication of a ecm problem. when the light finaly comes on that means the ecm is good 2 go and your truck will fire.

try to reset the ecm/computer as stated above by disconnecting the positive battery cables (leave negatives on) for about 2 hrs. this will drain the memory ie: reset.

now this may or may not solve your problem. I have the same trouble on my truck. did it 2 years ago for 6 months and then fixed it self, good for 1 year and then it did it again for 2 months and the day I was given this above info (from Bob Wagner) it solved it self again and the trouble has not returned so who knows??[duhhh]

are you're batteries in good shape?????? mine were old and not holding a good charge when this started and now I sometimes have a draw somewhere through the ecm(goes away when i pull the fuse)???

have a gooder 1 and keep us posted. Gotta fix mine to, on my second set of batts in 2 years(warrenty)[duhhh][coffee]

Bob is who helped me out also. He seems to know his shiat.

Itsmejoe231 11-25-2007 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by lxlaw (Post 1806740)
I have been posting about the same problem and people have been giving me hell, LOL. I just replaced the ECM, and it works perfect now. I was told it is the memory module or other component in the ECM that causes it. But the trucks wait to start light comes on every time now and it will start.

Where did you get your new ECM?

Mine light is still hit or miss. Sometimes it comes on right away and sometimes I have to wait 5-8 seconds after I turn the key on.