24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

VP pulling fuel from tank....time for DTT Assasin!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VP pulling fuel from tank....time for DTT Assasin!

I just installed my guages the other night and was certian that the fuel pressure guage or the fuel regulater that came with the kit was bad because I had 0 psi, turns out my lift pump was bad and the truck was still running fine, and had been running fine for who knows how long. I did go ahead and put a oem style fuel pump back on just to be safe untill I can get my hands on a DTT Assasin. I was curious though who all has had the assasin pump and if anyone has had it on for several years yet, I'm not shooting for high HP, I just want reliable fuel pressure and volume that will keep the VP happy. I am going to order the kit with 1/2 lines, fittings and replace the banjos with the larger fittings as to reduce the fuel restriction. I am just hoping this investment proves to be a reliable setup. The VP needs 14-15 PSI at all times so hopefully the Assasin will be able to deliver that. Any install advice would be great to, never actually taken the bed off the truck so that should be interesting...ha ha. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
First off let me say that I have not used that pump, but I have used the previous one they sold which was called the RASP. However they are the same style of pump and work the same way. The rasp could easily do 14-15 psi and if it didnt you could adjust by shimming the valve. The Rasp would actually increase pressure as rpms went up. I only had one problem with the rasp and that was the front seal on the pump itself. After x number of miles it might start weeping/leaking. The seal is $2 and takes 10 minutes to replace so no big deal. However after the second one went I dug through my stuff in the garage and found the thickest smallest o ring I could find. I then put it on the pump shaft and worked it all the way up agaianst the pump housing. After I did that I didnt have any more seals go bad. My guess was that road grime/dirt etc would work its way into the seal and thereby wear it out so to speak. I figured If I could keep the grime etc from getting to the seal that would help it. The first two seals lasted about 25k each after I put the third seal in and put the o ring on I went 50k further with no seal issues. At that point I took the pump off and switched to a 12 valve mechanical pump as I had put in a cam that had the fuel pump lobe on it. The RASP was still working fine but since the Cam allowed me to simplify the plumbing etc by using the 12 valve lift pump I changed to that method and have had no issues.

Also make sure and follow the directions on how tight the belt should be it will seem loose but it does not need to be tight, too tight and you will trash the seal quickly.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Read this before purchasing ANYTHING DTT related..Many people have lost money dealing with them... Not the same company they were a few years back!!!!

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...&highlight=dtt
Old 08-06-2013, 12:22 AM

wow that's a horrible story. it seems to me you have had that conversation before with rightwinger. Anyhow I'm pretty happy with my Airdog Raptor and it gets 21 psi at idle and never below 15 at wide open throttle.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:19 PM

No, actually this is the first I have heard of anything negative, but I appreciate the info. I have contacted the person who actually made this pump and will see if he is able to sell me one, not sure if he is still making them or not currently. I was glad to be forwarned prior to ordering one with DTT, when I did speak to them they said they only had 2 left in stock and if I wanted one it to order it now because it would be awhile before anymore were ready, I have recently talked with several vendors and they said that DTT is telling them they are ALL backordered and none will be available and no ETA can be given....makes me wonder if I would of ever seen a pump from them if I had sent them money. Has anyone had any experience with the "fuel Boss? It looks to be a similar design, is it a quality product? Thanks!

P.S. Thankyou for your help Larry, you might of saved me a huge headache.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Eric I have sold a bunch of the fuel boss pumps and have yet to ever do a return on one...they are a great product
Old 08-06-2013, 03:01 PM

Is there a way to regulate the fuel PSI with the Fuel Boss? or is a regulator something I would need to purchase seperately?
Old 08-07-2013, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for what its worth..
a couple of years ago I replace my VP..I also went the AirDog..
the pump work great..I streched the spring to up the pressure just a little
with new filters it runs 20 at idle and 17 or so WOT.

a couple of weeks go..the pump quit..ever watch the FP gauge go to 10 inches of VACUUM!!! I have..
since I've been reading this forum..I learned the AD uses a grotor type pump..(dodge oil or this type)..downside..a small amount to dirt will stop the pump.OK I knew this could happen..no problem clean the pump..
the o ring( I use biodiesel) had swelled and didn't fit..they sent 2 new o rings at no charge..I was willing to buy and pay shipping..
SERVICE..thank you AirDog..

-dkenny
Old 08-07-2013, 08:39 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Should come with a regulator. I know when I bought my RASP from DTT years ago it did and I am pretty sure all the other ones that I have looked at came with one as well. If you need to adjust the pressure which you shouldnt but if you do you just need to shim the internal spring or change the spring the link below shows yout he type of regulators I have seen that come with them and the associated springs and shims.
http://www.kinsler.com/handbook89.html just in case that link just takes you to the catalog look on page 89
Old 08-08-2013, 09:38 AM

DTT has no pumps available because no machine shop will deal with them anymore. They place an order then don't pay and move on to the next machine shop. Eventually you run out of pockets to pick.

There have been reported problems with the Assassin. The housing is made here, but the gears are sourced from India and the quality is poor.

I have a brand new pump still in the box and am reluctant to put it on. I may just sell it and cut my losses. It took over a month to get it AFTER I paid and I got excuses (when they actually replied) as to why it took so long. I never got a receipt for it so who knows if there even is a warranty on it. Stefan wanted me to pay him through his personal PayPal account (which should have been a red flag).Their customer service is non existent. If I had waited two more days, I would have read all the negative reviews and went with the Glacier Diesel pump.