24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Upgrade to medium duty trans.. anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know about the laws in whatever state your in, but I can assure you here in Florida a CDL would be required for any commercial vehicle with a GVWR of over 26,000 LBS. Actually, the law states "A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 LBS if the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) is 26,001 pounds or more." The only exceptions are military vehicles, emergency vehicles, farmers, recreational vehicles and owners of straight trucks (no trailers) hauling their own tangible personal property that is not for sale. You can read for yourself here: http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/cdl-handbook.pdf

Now, maybe the combination vehicle you're towing with has a RATED GVWR less than this, but overloading it to an actual weight of 29,950 LBS does not exempt you.

As I stated, I don't know the laws in your area, but I'm reasonably sure the CDL requirements are fairly standardized from state to state. I'd be interested in hearing what any exceptions are.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:41 PM

On the idea of using taller tires and not using 5th gear towing the weight you're pulling, I would be afraid of putting too much strain on the clutch everytime you needed to start rolling. It would sort of be like starting out in 2nd gear using your current tire/wheel setup.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:51 PM

if you can find the syncro's get the 5600, that fits exactly what you need, the g56 will do what you want also
Old 01-17-2008, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bratkid63
I don't know about the laws in whatever state your in, but I can assure you here in Florida a CDL would be required for any commercial vehicle with a GVWR of over 26,000 LBS. Actually, the law states "A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 LBS if the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) is 26,001 pounds or more." The only exceptions are military vehicles, emergency vehicles, farmers, recreational vehicles and owners of straight trucks (no trailers) hauling their own tangible personal property that is not for sale. You can read for yourself here: http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/cdl-handbook.pdf

Now, maybe the combination vehicle you're towing with has a RATED GVWR less than this, but overloading it to an actual weight of 29,950 LBS does not exempt you.

As I stated, I don't know the laws in your area, but I'm reasonably sure the CDL requirements are fairly standardized from state to state. I'd be interested in hearing what any exceptions are.

My gcvwr is 24500. It doesnt matter if you know the laws in my area.. this is a federal issue.. as I said, you really dont want to question me on this. Been down this road.

The only issue I can be messed with on is my tires.. if my tires dont support the weight I am carrying per my sidewalls then I am in violation.. beyond that the feds do not look at GCVWR as the top weight you can carry.. they know you can modify your vehicle to support the weight.. Its the law, I didnt write the law, I just follow it.

Now, typically I am below 26,000 so its a non issue.. occasionally I run over.. but as I said.. there is no law to stop me.. your statement above is incorrect

And I don't need to read the handbook.. its basically in my head.. I've read it dozens of times. As I have stated.. I have been above 26,001 lbs and drove away from state troopers after they could not find a law to stop me.

EDIT: They can stop you however if your load looks visibly unstable.. if your truck is pointing up in the air from the weight for example, they can stop you.. but my truck is setup fine.. (see my photo, even with 10,000 lbs on the rear it barely points up).. so I am good to go.. they did however get me for a burned out rear license plate light that you can't see anyway.. how nice... they had to get me for something.

EDIT: Furthermore, the feds view any dually axle to take the same weight.. and I have to admit I forgot what it is.... but they dont care what the sticker says in the truck FOR OVERLOAD ONLY.. they go by the axle and tire rating.. I think its 30,000 lbs for a dual wheel axle.. but dont quote me.. shoot I should know this.. I guess I forgot because it FAR exceeds anything I would carry.. they really only look at my tires..

EDIT: Where the authorities mess up is the misread the line you quoted.. they forget to apply the word AND.. AND the truck weighs 26,001 or more... if you ever get pulled over ask the nice officer to explain what the word AND means in the sentence.. that usually does it. The answer you will get is hmmmmmm.. they must have changed that. Yeah right.. then they will proceed to nail you on ANYTHING THEY CAN.. LIKE.. my fire extinguisher became unhooked.. I must have bumped the lever on the strap.. yep, I got written up.. they dont like to be wrong.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bratkid63
On the idea of using taller tires and not using 5th gear towing the weight you're pulling, I would be afraid of putting too much strain on the clutch everytime you needed to start rolling. It would sort of be like starting out in 2nd gear using your current tire/wheel setup.
1st is a granny.. I have started the truck with 25,000 in second without slipping the clutch much at all.. so, based on that I doubt it would be a problem.. unless you are on a really steep hill.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by safehaul
1st is a granny.. I have started the truck with 25,000 in second without slipping the clutch much at all.. so, based on that I doubt it would be a problem.. unless you are on a really steep hill.
Agreed....until you up the tire diameter. A few inches of extra tire diameter can be significant when trying to get a heavy load going.....first gear won't seem so low anymore and reversing won't be a pleasure when loaded down heavy. Out of curiousity, I take it you have 3.54 gears?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
Agreed....until you up the tire diameter. A few inches of extra tire diameter can be significant when trying to get a heavy load going.....first gear won't seem so low anymore and reversing won't be a pleasure when loaded down heavy. Out of curiousity, I take it you have 3.54 gears?
hmmm good question.. I think its a 4:10 for some reason.. dana 80 with a posi.. I think those were all 4:10's werent they?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely not, my Dana 80 in the '99 is 3:55
Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by tool
Definitely not, my Dana 80 in the '99 is 3:55

ooops... then i dunno.. but the math is easy.. 65mph 2500rpm with tires that are 29.5" tall I think.. 4th is 1:1 so... I'm no **** good at math.

anyway... I am just saying by FEEL I dont think it would be an issue.. but I could be wrong... maybe this is just a stupid idea.. I suppose the engine will be fine running 2500 rpm as long as I limit the speed to 65mph..
Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 PM

You have a 3.55 gear I had a 12v with a 4.10 and a nv 4500 it was at 2500 at 70 mph in fifth gear on stock rubber.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by 9 sec camaro
You have a 3.55 gear I had a 12v with a 4.10 and a nv 4500 it was at 2500 at 70 mph in fifth gear on stock rubber.
Thanks.. that clears that up.. hmmm so 2500 didnt hurt that truck! Glad I dont have a 4:10! Yikes..
Old 01-17-2008, 07:08 PM

I just talked to my driver.. he ran 500 miles today and the truck is running great at 65mph.. we are not fully loaded only 2 cars but it wont matter much... I love that truck I want one to drive everyday just for fun.. cept not a dually.. I love the way the stock setup drives (mine is no fun to drive empty since my springs are uprated)..

Anywho.. he said the trans feels very solid but he has not touched 5th since it started to vibrate 2 days ago (smart man)..

Can't wait to get it back into town so I can have it diagnosed..
Old 01-17-2008, 07:23 PM

here some info on the Eaton fuller 6 speeds, all you would need is the trans(obviously) flywheel, clutch and a driveshaft made and a drive shaft shop can modifiy the one you have, you may have to get an output yoke too but its gonna last. remember the torque numbers are very conservative.
http://www.roadranger.com/Roadranger...Duty/index.htm
Old 01-17-2008, 09:42 PM

Safehaul - You obviously have 3.55 rear ratio. I would suspect at the same speeds in 5th you are 1800 rpm or so. Too little RPM for the load you are pulling IMHO. I have found that RPM's have less to do with mileage on 24V. Everone seems to think that lower rpm = better mpg. I agree up to a point. I would venture to guess that with a load you would get better mileage at 2500 RPM's than at 1800 at the same speed as the engine is at a better peak to "efficiently" produce the power required to pull the load.

I have 4.10 and tow in 5th at 23-2500 a lot. Never pulled 30k but have exceeded 26k slightly on occasion on short trips. I won't stay in 5th below 2000 rpm with that kind of load. I feel it is better for the engine, economy etc and never lost the 5th gear nut (knock on wood). Staying out of the low rpm vibrations may have something to do with that or maybe I am just lucky.

Just food for thought. The cheapest thing to do is run in 4th if the repair shop does not warranty the repair. Let us know what you come up with.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Registered

i have rebuilt my 5600 myself and i will NEVER tear into one of these again. Every peice has to come out the back and it takes a 40 TON press to get the counter shaft apart. Dodge dosnt even service the bottom shaft, they just replace the whole thing as a preassembled unit. i got my kit from quad4x4.

That was the first time, then when it went out the second time i took it to springfield MO to bayless diesel and they rebuilt it in a coupla days for 2300 bucks.

Quick Reply: Upgrade to medium duty trans.. anyone?