24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Updated Info on VP-44

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would it cost to get a P pump installed and what are the down sides?
Is there a thread that disusses this?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by supr
What would it cost to get a P pump installed and what are the down sides?
Is there a thread that disusses this?
---------------------------------------------
supr:

Oh yeah,....... there is alot of threads here on DTR that discuss the issue of putting a P-7100 on a 1998.5-2002 Dodge CTD 24 valve truck with a VP.

Here is one to get you started. Get ready for some LONG reading!!

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...nversion+Valve

-----------
John_P
Old 01-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Administrator

supr:

Here is another link for you:

And another one:

Old 01-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Administrator

supr:

The company I deal with on all my diesel performance upgrades is Scheid Diesel. They do alot of the P-Pump conversions on the 24 valve trucks. Give them a call if you want to get some prices etc.

Here is their toll free number if you are interested:

Scheid Diesel:

1-800-669-1934

Hope the links and info help you Sir!

--------
John_P
Old 01-18-2010, 11:20 AM

I just talked to Rick at Scheid. Most people who go this route want power with little regard to cost or problems. Brief summary of cost:
Kit $1946, does not include everything, like throttle linkage
Pump & Core charge $2100-$2600
Labor to install- ?? Maybe $1000.
Interface to computer will still have issues with AC and other things on dash.
So, this does not appear to be an optimal solution for the guy who is mostly stock.
I asked him how well the newer rebuilt VP's run and he indicated they seem to be 100k pumps, more or less.
So, no good answers after 11 years of VP44 & CTD.
Finding the best built VP44 seems to be the only choice for most people.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
....this [p-pump] does not appear to be an optimal solution for the guy who is mostly stock.
Not an option for me either.
P-pumped engine do run well..... very smooth power and they are virtually trouble free! But I like the computerized aspects of the 24v engine and all the internal readouts I get with my Pulse monitor!

All CTD models have their weaknesses...for 3rd Gens it's injectors due to higher rail pressures.
If we can count on a min of 100,000 miles, and know in advance to program in the cost of a VP-44 every 4-6 yrs (depending on usage), I don't feel it's excessive. JMO.

RJ
Old 01-18-2010, 12:11 PM

While I agree in the grander skeem of things isn't horrible as I have already dealt with injectors on my 3rd gen. Still trying to find the weakness of the VE other than the ability to make gobs of power or the P Pumped 12 V. The KDP maybe but that isn't a $1k plus to reapir unless you let it fail. The newer the generation the more issues. Guess that is with anything these days. Can't get anything that will last. Well an if we didn't have to deal with going green........
Old 01-18-2010, 12:18 PM

I just talked to Rick at Scheid. Most people who go this route want power with little regard to cost or problems. Brief summary of cost:
So, this does not appear to be an optimal solution for the guy who is mostly stock.
I asked him how well the newer rebuilt VP's run and he indicated they seem to be 100k pumps, more or less.

Sounds about right going through them. They are likely one of the best but they are getting more proud of their stuff. It can be done for cheaper and still have quality but still about $2500-3500 and a little cheaper if you can do it your self but it is a little more involved than bolting on parts if you want it to run smooth. But evening doing a full on with Schied or someone else if you drive it alot your about about the same money as haveing 2 replaced.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Administrator

--------------------------------------------------------------------
supr:

Thanks for your reply. Glad you at least got to talk with Rick @ Scheid. They are great guys up there. I did not realize the prices had gone up that much. Sorry about that...........

DTR Member dieselfreak21 brings up alot of good points in his post. All of that really gives you alot to think about. One last thing I would add is at least with a P-Pump you aren't worrying about a VP-44 failing like I always was. But as I also said, some of the Members here have had good luck with them, just NOT ME! After my second failure, EVERYTIME I drove that 2002 I was thinking to myself,......"I wonder if this VP-44 is going to make it through this trip.......????"
Old 05-11-2010, 03:20 PM

I dont know much about this, but could the computer be re-located off of the pump to a more docile environment?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
That idea has been attempted by several persons in the past, but nobody has made it work correctly......... yet.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
That idea has been attempted by several persons in the past, but nobody has made it work correctly......... yet.
Worst part is that now they are obsolete, so I don't think many will be going out of their way to find any real solutions for the problems any more.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:45 PM

i will admit i skipped to the end only read the first couple post on this thread i just replaced my vp in my truck i went to northeast performance diesel for mine got it for cheaper then a blue chip pump and the guy that owns it used to work for blue chip so he knows what he is doing its only been in the truck for a couple weeks but i am happy so far and he claims that the pumps he sells have the upgradeed computers and everything that blue chips have i will let you know how it goes down thee road. www.northeastperformancediesel.com
Old 05-12-2010, 01:49 PM

Hi guys. I just lost my VP on my 2000 4x4 6 speed. Anyway I put in the X from Chip at Blue Chip. Mileage went up right away. I lost the computer, the pump was still good. Anyway in my conversation with Chip, he is coming out with a new product soon to keep the heat out of the pump after its been turned off. I have a Fass also that keeps it cool when its going. But that didnt help when it was turned off. So it looks like Chip has the answer we just have to wait. He said in 30 days or so. Scooter
Old 05-14-2010, 11:54 AM

Yeah, I lost my v.p 4000 miles ago put a x B.Chip on and have not seen any gains whatsoever.Chip says I squashed key on install. The thing is I had front end of engine torn off fixing leaking crank seal and KDP and bolts. So when gear was installed I could easily see that gear was installed correctly(same amount of threads showing etc.) and timing marks are correct. Chip says to tear it down again and varify and will go from there but it also means I'll be down a truck to do this. I'll be getting laid off next week so time wil be there to do it I guess. Nate