24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is this true about Chevy and Ford diesels?

Old 03-20-2008, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this true about Chevy and Ford diesels?

One of my buddies claims that when a powerjoke or duramax comes stock, it is basically setup from the factory using 80% of its possible output. Then he said that the Cummins is only setup to use about 40% of the possible output.

So the Cummins has much more space to be upgraded?

Is this true?
Old 03-20-2008, 03:11 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Probably not true. Duramax's are fast motors. Just look at what guys have been doing on the dragstrip's. But a Cummins is the only motor for towing. JMO
Old 03-20-2008, 05:19 PM

not true, but there is alot of potential in these motors, even the pstoke and the dmax. and the only reason the dmax is faster at the track is really the tranny and the ability to turn higher rpm
Old 03-20-2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Number47 View Post
and the only reason the dmax is faster at the track is really the tranny
Not the tranny. Its a clutch-on-clutch design, and from what Ive seen itll try to be in two gears at the same time and basically self destruct. The tranny would be a hinderence; it doesnt shift as fast as the Dodge or Ford trannies do. Thats why theres a couple Dmax trucks that run a Dodge trans.

But yea, they can rev quicker than the ol I-6 and the truck itself is lighter than the Dodges and Fords...

But yea, obviously the engines arent tuned to their "maximum" output, otherwise you'd be able to pick up a 1200hp Dodge and a 1000hp GM, and maybe a 700hp Ford at the dealership. Would be nice, but the liability that would have and emissions and the shear insanity of the people that could buy them, it would never happen.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:00 PM

Yeah, the duramax guys are really starting to catch up to the cummins, but you gotta sink a lot more money into them to reach the higher power levels. Their bottom ends aren't near as beefy as the cummins from the factory.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Taxidermyman View Post
One of my buddies claims that when a powerjoke or duramax comes stock, it is basically setup from the factory using 80% of its possible output. Then he said that the Cummins is only setup to use about 40% of the possible output.

So the Cummins has much more space to be upgraded?

Is this true?
no its not true in the slightest bit, im not even sure what that means "tuned to 80% of its possible output". I have to wonder where people come up with this stuff..
Old 03-20-2008, 10:10 PM

Duratothemax says : no its not true in the slightest bit, im not even sure what that means "tuned to 80% of its possible output". I have to wonder where people come up with this stuff..

Hard to believe your asking where does this stuff come from.

Same place where Ford owns Cummins come from
Old 03-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Smkndzl View Post
Same place where Ford owns Cummins come from
and the same place cumminGs comes from

ben
Old 03-20-2008, 11:50 PM

i got my cummins to last a while not to tear up a drag strip.duramax-chevy and gmc trucks.powerstroke-ford trucks and some commercial trucks.cummins-dodge trucks,marine main engines,marine generators,building generators,heavy equipment,ups trucks,fedx trucks,ect.i hope every ford and chevy can beat me as long as i can turn 400k miles and get 25k hours on the twin 6cta 8.3's that sit in the engine room of the charter fishing boat that i captain.right now they have 23k.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:24 AM

So what I get is that the cummins has more potential than the others. Obviously, they dont put powerjokes or duras in boats, big rigs, heavy equipment, and there is a reason for that. Of course the duramax owners arent gonna admit this anyways. Isnt this a CUMMINS site....
Old 03-21-2008, 11:39 AM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Cummins are different animals than the Duramax and Powerstokes. Cummins are heavy duty industrial motors that can handle abuse. The inline configuration promotes heavier bigger internals, that rev lower and produce massive amounts of torque. The Duramax's & Powerstoke's were designed for pickups, not industrial use. They are in a V configuration with light duty smaller internals that promote a higher reving motor for a higher horsepower output.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Taxidermyman View Post
Of course the duramax owners arent gonna admit this anyways. Isnt this a CUMMINS site....
I see that you've only been here for a month, so if you sit down, take a few minutes and read my past posts and you'll find you're wrong.

ben