Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Truck bogging down (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/truck-bogging-down-332268/)

Juan Mayorga 07-16-2019 06:10 PM

Truck bogging down

Hey guys new to this site but I need help I have a 98.5 Dodge ram 3500 2 wd manual transmission that keeps bogging down on me change the weak lift pump and other suggestions in what I need to look for ?? I did notice the oil pressure drop then go back to normal and gives me a check guages warning. Can a bad oil pressure sensor cause it to bog down. Possible oxygen sensor going bad too ?? Any information greatly appreciated

KATOOM 07-17-2019 03:56 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "bogging down". Loss of power or loss of ALL power from the motor? Do you happen to know what your fuel pressures are?

Juan Mayorga 07-17-2019 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM (Post 3362756)
I'm not sure what you mean by "bogging down". Loss of power or loss of ALL power from the motor? Do you happen to know what your fuel pressures are?

Yes loss of power noticed that after 30 minutes at ideal it starts to shut down. I got about 20 psi on ideal and 15 psi under load.

KATOOM 07-17-2019 04:12 PM

Loss of power would indicate a loss of fuel pressure. Intermittent loss of all engine power would indicate something electric.
Do you have gauges in the cab?

Juan Mayorga 07-17-2019 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM (Post 3362758)
Loss of power would indicate a loss of fuel pressure. Intermittent loss of all engine power would indicate something electric.
Do you have gauges in the cab?

No this is my first diesel truck some other things happen are bucking or stalling when running sudden surges on ideal some guy at the gas station said it might be a tps sensor. What's your opinion on that ??

KATOOM 07-17-2019 04:57 PM

The TPS on these trucks is called the APPS and it can be reset. But generally they dont give intermittent signals. If you dont have gauges then I would suggest getting a test gauge with the ability to watch what the gauge is doing while you hold it and drive around. If the fuel pressure is dropping off when the power drops off then thats the problem. The test fuel pressure gauges tap into the schrader valve test port on the VP injection pump inlet or the fuel filter housing outlet.

Juan Mayorga 07-17-2019 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM (Post 3362760)
The TPS on these trucks is called the APPS and it can be reset. But generally they dont give intermittent signals. If you dont have gauges then I would suggest getting a test gauge with the ability to watch what the gauge is doing while you hold it and drive around. If the fuel pressure is dropping off when the power drops off then thats the problem. The test fuel pressure gauges tap into the schrader valve test port on the VP injection pump inlet or the fuel filter housing outlet.

I will try to diagnose what ur suggest and see what happens thank you so much

SIXSLUG 07-18-2019 09:54 PM

Idle...finally figured it out. Check the apps and make sure you have a clean air filter and fuel filters.....