Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Transmission fluid as a lubricant ? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/transmission-fluid-lubricant-315494/)

Vman4220 11-27-2013 10:01 AM

Transmission fluid as a lubricant ?

What's you guys thoughts ? I've been told many times that a half quart of any transmission fluid is good for our diesels. Is this a good idea or not. I have been using Standadyne for some time but a cheaper alternative would be nice. Just don't want to screw anything up...

2001 Cummins Turbo 5.9 4x4 / Auto Trans.

Fiftygrit 11-27-2013 10:12 AM

In the fuel, I wouldn't,

lovinCTD59 11-27-2013 10:55 AM

I use 2 stroke ashless oil in mine. I think the lube properties are much higher than ATF, and cheaper.. Plus if the DOT dips my tank they won't find anything red/pink in the tank..

johnh 11-27-2013 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Vman4220 (Post 3213634)
What's you guys thoughts ? I've been told many times that a half quart of any transmission fluid is good for our diesels. Is this a good idea or not. I have been using Standadyne for some time but a cheaper alternative would be nice. Just don't want to screw anything up...

2001 Cummins Turbo 5.9 4x4 / Auto Trans.

absolutly not, it was good for the older diesels but the newer fuel delivery systems will be damaged

BILTIT 11-27-2013 05:29 PM

It isn't even good for the older ones. 2 Stroke oil sure.

SIXSLUG 12-01-2013 03:58 PM

ATF has grabby compuonds in it for auto transmissions, like anti slip in diff oils.

many willl espouse its use as time honored and tested and always used to slick up diesel fuel, however, mine will NEVER see it as a fuel conditioner.

Ashless 2-stroke or a good aftermarket supplement like Power Service, stanadyne or that yellow stuff is all I will use in my 2001.5.

carl48 12-01-2013 05:56 PM

his truck is not a common rail. atf will work as good as the others. if you filter used atf through a 2 micron filter you can blend it up to about 50-50 mix. the next time I catch a bosch engineer I am going to ask him about atf in a cr. I think this is also bs.

Lary Ellis (Top) 12-01-2013 07:47 PM

Do NOT use ATF in your fuel..the composition of it has changed dramatically since the old timers used it and swore by it. It can do great harm to your fuel system including injectors and Injection pump.

SIXSLUG 12-02-2013 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by carl48 (Post 3214267)
his truck is not a common rail. atf will work as good as the others. if you filter used atf through a 2 micron filter you can blend it up to about 50-50 mix. the next time I catch a bosch engineer I am going to ask him about atf in a cr. I think this is also bs.

No thanks.....there are too many better options.

Busboy 12-03-2013 01:16 PM

The flash point of some of the ingredients in the transmission fluid is above the exhaust temp at idle so they will not ignite, just saying.:o

ColinP 12-03-2013 01:42 PM

i use it to lube the bar on my chainsaw thats about it

dieseldemon 12-03-2013 06:09 PM

You can run 100% if you want to no problems.

Originally Posted by carl48 (Post 3214267)

jrs_dodge_diesel 12-09-2013 09:39 PM

Several reasons not to run it :

1. ATF (any flavor) is red in color. It also turns your fuel red. It would be hard to explain red fuel if you ever get dipped. The sample still has to go to the lab for testing for the chemical tracer that dyed fuel contains, but won't help with the intitial headache of the guys dipping your tank in the first place.

2. ATF also has friction modifiers in it meant for clutch paks in trannies, not in injection pumps with tight tolerances.

3. This kinda falls under "right tool for the right job". There are much better and cheaper additives to put in the tank designed for diesel engines.

And number 4. This is a quote from another forum. The guy that posted this works in the petrochem industry.

Originally Posted by Flash
How about we look at the chemistry that makes up the Ford ATFs. If you are using Mercon V for your additive, it is a generally 20w mineral fluid and sometimes is a PAO basestock with some diesters. Not bad so far. Now comes the additive package with 2200-2500 ppm's sulphur and 600-800 ppm's of zinc. I don't think I would want to purposely run that much sulphur thru my engine as it will end up as sulphuric acid in the oil. And that much zinc run thru the injectors has got to eventually cause some erosion. So, lets look at Fords Type F ATF. It is a 20w mineral fluid with 12,000-13,000 ppm's of phosphorus, 3500 ppm's zinc, and about 800 ppm's barium. I can't believe this wouldn't poison a diesel engine. The acid load on the oil has to be tremendous. I would suggest using an additive that is made to do the job if you are using an additive at all.

Vman4220 12-10-2013 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel (Post 3215514)
Several reasons not to run it :

1. ATF (any flavor) is red in color. It also turns your fuel red. It would be hard to explain red fuel if you ever get dipped. The sample still has to go to the lab for testing for the chemical tracer that dyed fuel contains, but won't help with the intitial headache of the guys dipping your tank in the first place.

2. ATF also has friction modifiers in it meant for clutch paks in trannies, not in injection pumps with tight tolerances.

3. This kinda falls under "right tool for the right job". There are much better and cheaper additives to put in the tank designed for diesel engines.

And number 4. This is a quote from another forum. The guy that posted this works in the petrochem industry.

Thanks for all the great info. With that said, do I need an additive ? I would rather not bear the cost if I don't. But I have paid for two lift pumps and an injection pump.

SIXSLUG 12-10-2013 05:47 PM

I run Power Service white bottle at 1 ounce per three gallons since the low sulfur diesel came out around 07.

No problems so far,(knocking on head), and not too much extra expense....