24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Transmission/Engine surges around 50mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 07:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
go read the thread on servicing 47re and clean all the grounds I mentioned there. This should help eliminate the "ground" issue.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i did the bypass and the foil wrap, PS resets and calibrations, and cleaned and replaced ground connections everywhere. Everything helped a bit but never totally cured it. Just did a 350 mile trip today and never had a glitch. All I'm saying is if you try everything else and it doesn't go away try it. There is just a bunch of things that cause the problem.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the transmission shifting to a different gear when it surges??
Old 08-11-2011, 07:13 PM

No. I do not think so, but I'm not entirely certain. If it is trying to shift gears (drop down out of overdrive) then it's incomplete. The RPM surges, you feel the tranny do something, and then it goes back to normal. Then it almost immediately goes through the same cycle, unless conditions change. Other folks have posted here their description and seem to think that what is happening is the torque converter is locking and unlocking.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:46 PM

Thumbs up Maybe it's fixed!

I did the APPS "recalibration" today. I had the ground cables off the batteries for 3 hours then put it all back together. I drove the truck around for a while at the 50mph speed. I was not towing anything, but it sure felt better. I did not notice any "searching" at all. I'll be taking a trip towing the trailer later this week. That might tell me if this APPS recalibration really did work.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:02 AM

Its called the fourth gear hunt.ATS has adiagram on how to bypass the tpps from the Exc to the pcm I did it to my 99 I had and its never shifted better plus all you need is a couple lengths of wire dodder or good connections. I don't know how to post it here but pm me your snails and I can forward the diagram.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:45 PM

Today, I hooked up the trailer and drove a couple of hundred miles. The truck runs great now! I'm now a believer of doing the APPS reset/recalibration procedure. My shift points are now perfect and smooth, even when pulling a load. I'll bet I'm even getting better fuel mileage.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:03 PM

Better Fuel Mileage!

So, another great benefit of doing the APPS recalibration is an apparent improvement in fuel mileage. I ran one 250 mile leg towing a 5000llb trailer; I clocked 17.1 mpg, one of the best results I have ever had. Later, after another 230 miles, but only with about 1/2 towing, I got 18.4 mpg. Still a good number. Plus the truck seems to run more smoothly and shifts better than before.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:11 PM

Can you still send that wiring diagram.
Thanks
Old 08-08-2013, 01:54 PM

Erratic torque convertor lockup issue

I lived with this problem for 4 years and numerous unnecessary repairs by the dealer while the truck was still under warranty. when the warranty ended I decided to tackle the problem myself and I was able to permanently repair it for under a dime. I can provide you the info to do the repair if you will contact me at miked49@charter.net.

Mike
Old 08-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is the link the the ATS wiring fix.

http://www.atsdiesel.com/additionali...02)%20v1.0.pdf

I got lucky and never had to go this far. I solved mine by replacing APPS with a Timbo APPS, cleaned all grounds really well and add a little dielectric grease and finally added the transmission noise isolator from Geno's Garage. Knock wood, a year later and I am free from problems with the TC locking and unlocking.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:52 PM

Location: Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada (just outside Edmonton)
REPLACE THE ALTENATOR!!! Please, guys, stop with all the Mickey-Mouse, band aid fixes! I am only speaking from experience. Been dealing with this for years. Every time I thought I had fixed it, it came back. Every time. I stumbled accross this guy who is an amazing source of knowledge. Please take the time to read his info on our trucks. I replaced my alt, and it's been perfect since. Just make sure you spend some money on a good one, preferably new, not a reman.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd...-unlock-issues

Please read this!
Old 10-17-2013, 11:49 AM

Having the same issues just need to get this timbo APPs I guess but someone wanna tell mehow to get Iit and where its located!!!
Old 10-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This must be the week for APPS to go sideways. This is at least my second time posting the link to Timbo's site in the last 3 days.

http://www.dodgecumminsapps.com/

You will need a paypal account to complete the transaction.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick Fix For Dodge Ram 3500 Transmission Flutter at 50MPH

I also have taken my 2002 3500 truck to the local dealer about the trans fluttering in and out of overdrive at 1200 to 1500 RPM, and got charged 250 bucks to clean the battery cables, which worked for about a month. After reading on this site about other owners coming up with “cures” that also involved cleaning the grounds, battery connections, and foil on the alternator cables, and “noise filters”, and finally replacing my alternator, which was working fine. I began to suspect that the reason all these "CURES" worked was that by disconnecting the battery grounds or alternator, you were causing the computer to reset and work for a while.
As a last resort, I finally installed a new OEM alternator and the trans ran perfect for about 2 months and then problem RETURNED. UPDATE: An engine light came on, and the codes said TPS had low voltage. Replaced the TPS with one from Autozone, followed YouTube Video on how to set the voltage correctly by Wells Technology, took about an hour. Trucks been shifting perfect for 4 months now. I guess the TPS was the culprit all all along for the last 4 years, but the TPS voltage was not quite low enough to trigger the engine light. That must be also why the dealer couldn't figure it out.

Last edited by LongDriver; 03-14-2018 at 07:35 PM. Reason: UPDATE 3/15/18
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (04-05-2017)

Quick Reply: Transmission/Engine surges around 50mph