Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Trans Flush almost requires a loan (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/trans-flush-almost-requires-loan-147134/)

wcbcruzer 04-20-2007 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by annabelle (Post 1467784)
Tranny flush = waste of money.

That's what I've always thought. Service technician at Honda told me that too for the Honda. Filter and 7 quarts of +4 ran me about $40 if I remember correctly.

pull-do 04-20-2007 08:38 AM

A good transmission TOTAL flush is a life saver for a auto, if it's done on a routine basis, if not, say you have over 100,000 miles and haven't done anything to the trans., then I wouldn't do it.

The only one that wouldn't hurt the transmission is the BG flush
http://www.bgprod.com/home.html
this is the only flush I use on my vehicles, even my wifes Honda, it's the best there is, from what I understand about a auto is the fine particles (wear) are floating around and captured inside the trans and if you flush you'll break them loose and destroy the trans, but BG prod will capture the particles and remove them.

I know if you have a truck that is under 36,000 miles and have the flush done and do them on a regular basis, which you should anyway, they'll warranty the trans for 150,000 miles for nothing and that goes for the whole drivetrain if you have that done also, I use their radiator flush also.

fbx22 04-20-2007 04:24 PM

ok I just rechecked on this with the dealer and asked what it was without flushing it and they said $159.95. Thats a so so price I guess, still waiting for the other dealer to call back. I think they were just trying to sell me extra services that I dont need. I have not disclosed to them that it shifts late into OD because then they'd try to sell a bunch of other un needed garbage with their doom and gloom worst scenario stories "if" you dont do this or if you dont pay for that the world might blow up type stuff. The only reason Im even having them touch the thing in the first place is to just adjust the bands since #1 a $4000 thing isnt something I want to mess up #2 it would cost me a bunch of money just for an inch pound torque wrench. If it was just draining fluids I could do that much myself. I can always drain the stuff later if I want to for half that price.

zulusafari 04-20-2007 04:33 PM

I have read about cleaning the electrical connections on the OD unit really helps the shift into gear. I also read on this forum about cleaning/checking all ground connections on the trans and engine, and it cured a hard OD shift. Just fyi.

annabelle 04-20-2007 06:55 PM

If you decide to do a fkush, make sure it's done correctly and make SURE they change the filter. All fluid needs to be exchanged. If you have changed your fluid on a regular bacis (20,000-30,000) miles, I still say a flush can do more harm than good. Bottom line, it's your truck. Do whatever makes you feel confident.

fbx22 04-20-2007 07:18 PM

Thanks for all those who gave input. Im going to go with a pan drop and filter change to start with. The fluid doesnt look discolored or smell strange so I do agree that flushing it all out would be a waste at this point. If that doesnt help it shift to OD better than I will considering draining it all out. I wouldnt be suprised if that filter has been in there since 2002. Im the second owner and only have a few of the other owners service records.

wcbcruzer 04-20-2007 07:26 PM

You can get a torque wrench at Harbor Freight for about $20. I think I got mine on sale for $15 or so. Just in case you ever decide to adjust the bands yourself.

2500Ram 04-21-2007 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer (Post 1471045)
You can get a torque wrench at Harbor Freight for about $20. I think I got mine on sale for $15 or so. Just in case you ever decide to adjust the bands yourself.

Very true as I own a FT lb torque wrench from Harbor Freight but I wouldn't trust an Inch lb torque wrench from HF. I'm still shopping for one but will more than likely end up at Sears.

Good luck on the trans.