24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Torque converter issues Cleaning grounds again

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque converter issues Cleaning grounds again

I've had issues with the torque converter locking and unlocking off and on for many years. Clean all my grounds and things are fine. Getting tired of dealing with this problem. I know many of you have this problem. What options are out there to kill this problem? Thinking about an upgraded valve body to improve shifting but don't know if that will help this problem at all.... Looking for some advice thanks!
Old 09-05-2017, 02:39 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
An updated valve body will do nothing against that problem- since the true problem is:

AC noise in the DC system making the PCM "see" you move the accelerator a lot, and therefore deciding that you want to go out of lockup.

Cleaning the grounds and applying dielectric grease or any other rust inhibitor / contact preserver is a necessary first step.

Second you need good batteries and good contact to them.

Third, you need good alternator brushes.

You can add noise filters to the APPS input of the PCM, but this is usually only a band aid, since the AC noise will then go and make other parts of the electronics of your truck freak out..
Old 09-06-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I too struggled with this issue. I've cleaned grounds, installed noise filters, replaced apps, replaced alternators and many other trys. Two years ago I did the following and haven't had a problem since. There is a thick black ground wire (i think it has a brown or dirty white tracer) that runs through a wire bundle over the top of the alternator from the drivers side to the passenger side battery. I removed that wire out of the bundle as far back toward the drivers side as I could and moved it far away from the alternator (I tied it to the top of the radiator/intercooler) and reroute it to the passenger battery. The idea is to get it away from the alternator as far as possible. Once you do that it should help with the ac electrical noise. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (09-06-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rotohead
I too struggled with this issue. I've cleaned grounds, installed noise filters, replaced apps, replaced alternators and many other trys. Two years ago I did the following and haven't had a problem since. There is a thick black ground wire (i think it has a brown or dirty white tracer) that runs through a wire bundle over the top of the alternator from the drivers side to the passenger side battery. I removed that wire out of the bundle as far back toward the drivers side as I could and moved it far away from the alternator (I tied it to the top of the radiator/intercooler) and reroute it to the passenger battery. The idea is to get it away from the alternator as far as possible. Once you do that it should help with the ac electrical noise. Good luck.
So did you remove it out of the loom as far as it would go, then re-route it over the radiator? Did you have to lengthen or shorten it at all?
Thanks!
Old 09-07-2017, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Marine
So did you remove it out of the loom as far as it would go, then re-route it over the radiator? Did you have to lengthen or shorten it at all?
Thanks!
No lengthening needed. That bundle runs across the front of the engine block and I pulled mine out as far to the drivers side where it attaches to the center of the block, ran it straight forward to the radiator and then toward the passenger side as much as the wire will allow. That's enough distance away from the alternator to reduce the ac noise. Took me all of 30 minutes at the most. Hope this helps.
nothingbutdarts (09-08-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 12:31 PM

No lengthening needed. That bundle runs across the front of the engine block and I pulled mine out as far to the drivers side where it attaches to the center of the block, ran it straight forward to the radiator and then toward the passenger side as much as the wire will allow. That's enough distance away from the alternator to reduce the ac noise. Took me all of 30 minutes at the most. Hope this helps.
Awesome thanks!
Old 09-08-2017, 08:42 PM

Great info! I will do that. Thanks!!
Old 09-11-2017, 09:52 AM

I looked at that cable; mine runs into a connector on the battery tray on the passenger side. Is that the one you are talking about?
Old 09-12-2017, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Marine
I looked at that cable; mine runs into a connector on the battery tray on the passenger side. Is that the one you are talking about?
Yes
Marine (09-12-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 09:11 AM

Ive been battling this issue for 7 years and Ive tried everything listed here and then some, still doing it.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by clowndodge01
Ive been battling this issue for 7 years and Ive tried everything listed here and then some, still doing it.
Tested the alternator for AC noise or replaced it? I feel for ya man, it's the most frustrating issue cause it effects performance so drastically. Keep us posted if you can.