24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

TIMBO APPS Sensor, BETTER then OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't beat the price, and the support is great! Easy install with good instructions, would definitely recommend over the alternative!!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:31 PM

I still want to know what the OP's dealer was going to have to do for the quoted $500/labor charge?

I replaced my APPS with OEM (before the Timbo) and total labor was maybe 30 mins including a couple smoke breaks.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:06 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by dakar
I still want to know what the OP's dealer was going to have to do for the quoted $500/labor charge?

I replaced my APPS with OEM (before the Timbo) and total labor was maybe 30 mins including a couple smoke breaks.
FIL had his done in the summer I didn't know he was having troubles so he didn't know about Timbos. He paid $750 installed for his.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:59 AM

replaced mine with a timbo apps, just over 1yr ago, 40,000kms, 1200hrs of run time,
nothing but good to say, have also installed them on 2 other trucks, one is used as a courior truck as well, he likely has twice the mileage and hours on his as I do.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by JP-4.5
Well my truck got the apps error 2121 and 2123 which pointed to the Apps need to be replaced... One thing that amazed me was on my truck the problem was while trying to drive off from stop truck would all of a sudden FLOOR throttle for a second then dead peddle. This happened to a friend the 1st time and he came back with an Oh My God look on his face..
i dont get the dead pedal but i DO get that o-my-god speed up in parking lots.
my timbo apps should be here today.
i didnt even bother trying to adjust the current one.
do you guys thing the new apps will turn off my check engine light?
hope so!
Old 05-29-2013, 02:09 PM

I installed one on my 2001 about a year ago. I was trying to solve a surging cruise control problem. My engine was noticably smoother with the new TIMBO APPS, but it did not fix my cruise problem. I think it is a great product. I have not had any problems for over 15,000 miles since installed.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:22 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Busboy
You can't afford NOT to have one even if you keep it in your glove box until the factory one quits. 2 thumbs up for Timbo.
Funny, this reply. That's about how long my TIMBO APPS sat in the back of my truck before I installed it. Excellent product, works as advertised, about 45 mins to install, about $700.00 less than Dealer prices plus you can install it yourself and save likely $400.00 in labour charges. Go figure, Huh?

Have had mine in for over a year now, no issues and no problems.

Cheers!

Mike
Old 08-23-2013, 07:20 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive had mine for over 5 years it was some of the first ones tim was producing,i put on over a 100k on it and it finally bought the farm and a new one is on the way. The speeding up when I put the clutch in is some exciting stuff let me tell you especially with 190 gallons of water on the back of the truck,mine started having dead spots in the throttle and the exhaust brake stopped working because its always showing it half throttle and wont engage the brake unless you shut the truck off. Cannot wait to get the one in the next day or so...
Old 08-27-2017, 09:14 AM

mine failed

Only had mine on for about 2 months. It didn't fix my transmission problem and I lost throttle response after a while. Went back to original tps and added noise filter to fix trans problem. Everything iis fine now.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MEANOLJOE, check your alternator for AC feedback. Good chance that is what is causing your trans problem.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Well I had to check back to this thread to see when my FIL had his factory one installed, 2011 but the truck has sat for most of that time and now my son has it. He showed up the other night with the truck almost undrivable even after an APPS reset, luckily I had a Timbo APPS sitting on the shelf and all is well again thanks to Timbo.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Apparently the dealer price went way up. My first APPS was a dealer one,..about 15 years ago I'd think. and I believe the price was around $300 and I put it in myself.

Just to be clear,..a little electronic part called a potentiometer is the functional part in the apps. My opinion is that the metal bracket..etc., was all made to look the way it does so that the public would still buy the truck.. Nobody would really want a truck at that time if they could clearly see that the accelerator pedal actually had NO attachment or link to the motor...So it appears they had to do that apparatus to attach it to the motor to fool people.. It sure fooled me. I guarantee I would have never bought mine had I known that.

Anyway, the little potentiometer is a part that is most likely under $1... and even more likely under 50 cents. Even a 100mm potentiometer for a 2 million dollar sound mixing board is around 50 bucks...and believe me, this is not one of those or it would NEVER go out in ten million years. The first one that went out on me...I think I ground out the rivets and thats how I found out it's just a potentiometer,.. technically, if my memory isn't failing,..I think it's a dual potentiometer but I don't remember for sure. It's been a lot of years.

That being said, my second apps was timbo and it's been fine for a long time.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
What Puke writes is not completely correct:

First, they had to create the bracket and cabling stuff to stay compatible with the automatic transmission (throttle valve cable) and the cruise control.

So for positioning those parts in a place where they were on the 12V (shares the same automatic transmission, same cruise control mechanism) there was the need for the arrangement we all know and love

The potentiometer is a little special since it also contains an idle validation switch.
It is also waterproofed and heat resistant, specs like that are rare in audio stuff.

Still, the stock part is not really of the highest quality, the Timbo unit is better.

The real problem is that the spare part from dodge contains a lot more than what is really going bad, and therefore is very expensive.

One thing that kills all potentiometers are repeated little movements over the same area.

This grinds away the conductive stuff, and then they are dead.
Another factor in the automotive application is A noise- with the mass of capacitors in there the AC noise in such a system can reach quite a bit of AC amperage and arc away the poor little potentiometer.

So, in my opinion you can either get the daler part, pay a lot for good parts to throw away and buy an expensive cheaply made potentiometer with an idle validation switch.
Or you get out your electronics parts catalogue, find a pot with the correct characteristics like including the switch, right range, correct power level, heat-shock-waterproofed, with the correct shaft and mechanical mountings and solder the old plug onto it.

Or you buy a Timbo, quite good potentiometer, fits easily without hassle.

I chose the third option for most of the trucks I serviced, and had exactly one Timbo fail. (after an engine fire)
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (09-19-2017)
Old 09-17-2020, 07:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old thread... is Timbo01 still sending out APPS ?
Any contact info for him?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2020, 08:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was on the development team over at Turbo Diesel Register (TDR) back in '06 or so when we came up with the Williams Controls Sensor (APPS) designed for commercial use. Tim (Timbo) was instrumental in getting this APPS to work in our rigs and went on to market it as the TIMBO APPS.
The Dodge apps is an absolute consumer grade POS. The Williams apps (TIMBO) is a commercial grade sensor meant for big rigs, city buses, etc and is head and shoulders above OEM. I went over board when we were developing this piece and bought the whole throttle pedal assembly (commercial pedal w/APPS) from Williams. I had to tear out the entire OEM pedal and linkage from the truck and re-wire the electronics. It's been in use for ~14 years now. My apps is integrated in the pedal and of course is in the cab so out of the elements. I keep a spare in the glove box and could swap it out in ten minutes if needed (two screws to replace it).
No need to do what I did of course but just replacing the Dodge apps with a TIMBO is a no brainer. It's ten times better than Dodge and an easy install. Tim did a great job wiring this apps up and adding the right connector for our rigs. It really is plug & play...you won't be sorry!

Quick Reply: TIMBO APPS Sensor, BETTER then OEM?