24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

These Trucks..VP again maybe

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 03:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These Trucks..VP again maybe

I drove my truck for 3hrs..no problems..stopped 20min from the end of my trip. to get food for the weekend. no problems.

that was Thursday night.

Friday am..time to go fishing..I'm on vacation..time for fun..
and 3hrs from home...

yep..truck won't start..doesn't try to fire..yea..It did this back in Dec..
then it was the Vp44..put the replacement in..been fine until today.

no start..
with the limited tools..a 6in cresent wrench and voltmeter..
I open line 1,3,4..got fuel from 3 and 4..none from 1..
following Blue chip Diagnostic..no start#1 is fine..3/4 tank.filled before I drove 160miles..
#2..+12 and ground check out..
Ihaven't tried #3..still need to find some wire..I'm 3hrs from home and not much within walking distance..

anything else I should check?
fuel pressure 20psi..not a problem..
batteries fine.cranks fine..
no codes! none! using the torque lite app..if this might help I'll upgrade to the full and check again..

-dkenny
Old 04-18-2015, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you should move this to the 911/emergency thread and also post where you are located. even tho you are on vacation there may be another member not far from where you are to assist.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:07 PM

its a saturday so likely the place you bought or had vp install is closed.
the no code thing is strange. fuses, all connections and grounds. ECM connections etc. but sounds like you may have already checked those.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:10 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Where did you get your VP from?

Did it come with a brand new upgraded PSG computer?

Any prior symptoms which would have given you reason to think there's a potential problem?

How many miles on that replacement VP?

Is your truck completely stock? If there's any electronic device on it then remove it to assure its not the problem.

You mentioned you're getting fuel but is it a dribble of fuel or will it squirt out a little?

I have more questions but lets start there.....
Old 04-20-2015, 07:04 PM

I thought no codes was a little strange too.

the pump was install 12/14/14 and has about 6k miles..

no added tuners or chips..the only upgrade was 75hp injectors.

could tell if it was just a little dribble or alot..seemed like alot..but none from #1..its really hard to open the other lines with a 6in cresent wrench.maybe I invest in a cheap 3/4 crow foot socket and 12 ratchet..keep these in the truck.

I bought the pump from CPPDiesel..this pump came from Industrial injection.
I called Cpp this am..they said to call Industrial..Industrial said to ship it back..sounds the the computer died..?

at least I got to where I was going without any problems. My dad came down a bunch of tools and helped remove the pump. the first it I ever changed one it was hard..this time easier..later in the week I should hear back from Industrial..

dkenny
Old 04-20-2015, 10:27 PM

Keep us posted..... If the PSG does just fail like that then yes, it can do it without throwing a code. But man, with only 6k miles on the pump I'd want to be fully assured its truly the pump before taking it off and sending it in. You werent able to jump the VP just to see if the truck would idle?
Old 04-21-2015, 07:24 AM

hope you get it squared away. I know Jamie at CPP will do his best for customers as will idustrial injection. by chance was it the standard replacement pump or the Hot Rod Version.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Mine didn't throw any codes either until I unplugged it and tried test #3. One thing that kinda bugs me is your fuel pressure, kinda high from what I've been told. High fuel pressure will damage the diaphragm in the VP in short order. Keeping it around 15psi is better.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by cougar
Mine didn't throw any codes either until I unplugged it and tried test #3. One thing that kinda bugs me is your fuel pressure, kinda high from what I've been told. High fuel pressure will damage the diaphragm in the VP in short order. Keeping it around 15psi is better.
Just to set your mind at ease cougar, there is no high limit fuel pressure on the VP. And no damage to the diaphragm by doing so either. Thats a myth which doesnt seem to go away.

In saying that, fuel pressures over 20-25 psi range has been simply construed as unnecessary if the WOT fuel pressures can maintain around the 14-15 psi range. Doesnt mean its going to harm anything either.....
Old 04-29-2015, 07:22 PM

its the pump..it rusted on the inside..from water..where the water came from and how it past the AirDog I don't know..

-dkenny
Old 04-29-2015, 08:10 PM

I never understood how or why this would happen.....

That said, I've heard this claim sooooo many times where "warranty" issues are the result. Which I'm sure this was.

Meaning, you never see the damage. You never witness them opening it up. They never send you pictures. There's no way for you to confirm that this "water" worked its way into the fuel system and contaminated the injection pump. All they tell you is the VP failed due to water contamination and thus the warranty is void.

Personally..... I call BS on this stuff because if there was enough water in your fuel to cause the VP internals to rust then your truck would run like utter crap. You want to confirm their claim?.....take a piece of raw metal and stick it in a bucket of fuel which came directly from your truck. Let it sit there for a week. I'm betting you dont see an ounce of rust.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:22 PM

I hear ya..they actually sent me photos..one could question if the photos are from my pump or another pump..I just have to take their word on this.
I plan on draining the tank and filters as much as possible..I would like to find water..the water separator should be full of water..

did the truck bad..no..on the last run it ran fine..no issues..no missing..
the overhead was reading 30.6mpg..was this real I don't think so..but around town it was running 19 or so without my trailer..16.7 or so with a trailer..so who know..maybe the real number was in the 20's..

time will tell..just waiting to get the pump back..then back in the truck.

-dkenny
Old 04-30-2015, 07:28 PM

If you dont mind me asking, who was the supplier you got the VP from?
Old 04-30-2015, 07:46 PM

pm sent..
Old 05-06-2015, 09:08 PM

replacement pump installed, system bleed..it runs..

didn't find any water in the water separator..curious??
I thought I might given the amount of rust found in the pump.

could a bad tank of fuel several tanks ago cause major rust problem and no water in the separator?

-dkenny

Quick Reply: These Trucks..VP again maybe