24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

straight pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
straight pipe question

Okay what is need for my truck to be legal? I just got a warning for no exhaust emission system (originally equipped but removed)

I admit I pulled off my old stuff for bigger exhaust piping which is 4 inch and straight pipe.

Last edited by blue2002; 12-21-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: for got straight pipe.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:29 PM

fight it my has been straight piped for along time. have cop buddies its not illegal.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
It's only a visual inspection for exhaust in Texas, so a muffler or anything looking like it will get you past an inspection.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:48 AM

I am asking about a ticket. How would I correct this?
Old 12-22-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm not sure what you're trying to correct. If you got a ticket, you would just pay it and move on. Not much you can fight there unless you want to work the "turbo is a muffler angle". If it's a "fix it" ticket where they'll drop it when you fix the issue, you'll need to add a muffler (or something that looks like it) so you can pass the visual inspection.

You don't need a catalytic converter or any other "emissions" equipment since the 2002 was not originally equipped with it. But the muffler was part of the original system, so that's what they'll be looking for.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:40 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
It all depends on the local noise ordinance and how stringent they enforce. As mentioned, the turbo is considered a legal muffler which is why diesels aren't required to have a secondary muffler, but this doesn't mean that Johnny copper isn't going to write you up for being excessively loud if you're not smart enough to stay off the throttle around the law and if you're also a nuisance to you're local society by being Mr full throttle everywhere and trying to smoke out other cars. Stupidity creates its own problems.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:44 PM

Do you still have the old muffler? If you do or can get one just cut it in and tack it for the inspection. Take it back off when you're done.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
It all depends on the local noise ordinance and how stringent they enforce. As mentioned, the turbo is considered a legal muffler which is why diesels aren't required to have a secondary muffler, but this doesn't mean that Johnny copper isn't going to write you up for being excessively loud if you're not smart enough to stay off the throttle around the law and if you're also a nuisance to you're local society by being Mr full throttle everywhere and trying to smoke out other cars. Stupidity creates its own problems.
It must be related to the local noise ordinance...look at the PC or MVC or CCO number written on the ticket (Penel Code, Motor Vehicle Code, City Code or Ordinance) ie...MVC XYZ.XYZ

It should be written somewhere on there...google search that number it should tell you what it is...I'll bet it is a noise violation. 2nd gen motor vehicles were able to be manufactured 50 state emmission compliant w/o any smog equipment....there was a muffler/resionator present but it is NOT part of the emissions equipment....ie, CAT, O2 sensors, EGR valves etc etc. Its only function is limit noise at the tailpipe.

If the infraction code comes back to a noise violation, best suggestion is to tack in a "muffler" for inspection fix the ticket and take it out...

If the infraction is for SMOG/Emission equipment...I say FIGHT IT depending on Texas MVC I can not see it being stricter than my hell hole CALIFORNIA and I dont need a muffler and pretty much every local, county and state officer knows this.

NCA
Old 12-24-2010, 11:33 PM

Upon further investigation I am SHOCKED to find that Texas is rather strict on its EXHAUST SYTEM REQUIRMENTS.......Never thought I would see this in print....there isnt much that California has on anyother state of our great union but this seems to be one....

Exhaust System Inspection
•Under the Texas Transportation Code, Section 20.15, Texas requires that every motor vehicle be equipped with a muffler, in constant operation, at all times. The muffler must be for the reduction of noise. The muffler must be intact, in condition similar to when new; it cannot have been patched or repaired. Note that exhaust sound decibels are not checked during exhaust inspections so long as the exhaust is not leaking or incomplete.
Texas Code Requirements
•Under Section 547.604 of the Texas Transportation Code, all motor vehicles must be equipped with a muffler, in good working order that prevents excessive or unusual noise. Further, the exhaust mufflers may not be bypassed.
Excessive and Unusual
•Since Texas lacks specific decibel guidance, "excessive and unusual" is the applicable standard. In Aguilar v. State of Texas, a Texas appellate court reviewed a constitutional challenge claiming that the language was vague, and thus unenforceable since Section 547.604 does not specify a decibel level. The court rejected this challenge, noting that the terms "imply that noise must be outside normal standards for motor vehicles, which ordinary persons can objectively determine."

Cite: http://www.ehow.com/list_6950670_tex...nd-limits.html

See also: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp...ejectsubmit=Go

NCA
Old 12-25-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Angler
Upon further investigation I am SHOCKED to find that Texas is rather strict on its EXHAUST SYTEM REQUIRMENTS.......Never thought I would see this in print....there isnt much that California has on anyother state of our great union but this seems to be one....

Exhaust System Inspection
•Under the Texas Transportation Code, Section 20.15, Texas requires that every motor vehicle be equipped with a muffler, in constant operation, at all times. The muffler must be for the reduction of noise. The muffler must be intact, in condition similar to when new; it cannot have been patched or repaired. Note that exhaust sound decibels are not checked during exhaust inspections so long as the exhaust is not leaking or incomplete.
Texas Code Requirements
•Under Section 547.604 of the Texas Transportation Code, all motor vehicles must be equipped with a muffler, in good working order that prevents excessive or unusual noise. Further, the exhaust mufflers may not be bypassed.
Excessive and Unusual
•Since Texas lacks specific decibel guidance, "excessive and unusual" is the applicable standard. In Aguilar v. State of Texas, a Texas appellate court reviewed a constitutional challenge claiming that the language was vague, and thus unenforceable since Section 547.604 does not specify a decibel level. The court rejected this challenge, noting that the terms "imply that noise must be outside normal standards for motor vehicles, which ordinary persons can objectively determine."

Cite: http://www.ehow.com/list_6950670_tex...nd-limits.html

See also: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp...ejectsubmit=Go

NCA
As noted, a turbo is legally considered a muffler. Whether or not you can find language which states that, I dont know, but if you were planning on fighting a no muffler ticket then you might want to look.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
As noted, a turbo is legally considered a muffler. Whether or not you can find language which states that, I dont know, but if you were planning on fighting a no muffler ticket then you might want to look.
Katoom...I agree and know exactly what your saying, but the reason I cited the refrence material above is really to show that someone had (tried) the approach of vague ambiguity with the way the law of "Mufflers" applies.

In the case of Texas V Aguilar the court said a muffler should restrict noise levels that an ordinary person would not find objective..

I do not think a court using that case as precident would side with the plaintiff...they will say..."so what, if a turbo is legally a muffler, the noise produced by the vehicle was reasonally objectable to the officer citing the violation"

CASE CLOSED....

I may be wrong, but I would slap a junkyard muffler up there and try your hand at a "FIX IT" type of sign off if it applies (fix it ticket)

NCA
Old 12-26-2010, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Angler
Katoom...I agree and know exactly what your saying, but the reason I cited the refrence material above is really to show that someone had (tried) the approach of vague ambiguity with the way the law of "Mufflers" applies.

In the case of Texas V Aguilar the court said a muffler should restrict noise levels that an ordinary person would not find objective..

I do not think a court using that case as precident would side with the plaintiff...they will say..."so what, if a turbo is legally a muffler, the noise produced by the vehicle was reasonally objectable to the officer citing the violation"

CASE CLOSED....

I may be wrong, but I would slap a junkyard muffler up there and try your hand at a "FIX IT" type of sign off if it applies (fix it ticket)

NCA
Dont get me wrong either. I totally agree with you. All I was pointing out was that if the citation was specific to NO muffler than there's grounds for battle but if it was an issue of noise level then there really isn't much to fight. The only problem is that at that time the court might not accept anything but OEM decibel levels. If someone wanted a louder or more free flowing exhaust, this is a good example of why it would pay to keep the OEM exhaust incase of a quick swap to appease the law long enough to sign off a citation.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
At one time I had a bookmark of a Texas law that defined the turbo as a muffler. I'm gonna look some more for it. The original poster to this has a 2002, so there's no cat involved unless it's written by someone that doesn't know 2002 that you don't have to have a cat. I run strait piped but keep the muffler off the 99 and if need be, I'll split it, clean out the innards, then weld it around the existing pipe.